Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Rochester , Michigan
Winterizing an Interstate?

Hello, I am a newbie at this whole thing...Could someone please explain to me the steps on what I need to do to winterize my Interstate? I live in Michigan so the winters can be pretty brutal. Thank you.
Interstate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , Michigan
I did find this to be helpful... but still somewhat confusing >>>>>>>>>>>

Here is a helpful document from the Airstream website: http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...2a30ebe0b4.pdf
This document gives you generic winterization steps and you will need to adjust/modify for the specifics of your Interstate which you can find in the Interstate Owners Manual; see Plumbing (Section G).

If your Interstate will be experiencing temps below freezing, you need to spend the time to get this process right! Breaks in interior water lines can be very difficult to find and repair and if a leak goes undetected the damage caused can be very costly to fix.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Welcome!!
Winterizing was discussed in length a few weeks ago. Go to this thread for details.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ate-95019.html

Also be aware that the owners manual may not be totally up to date on the details. My 2013 was delivered with a manual that had many errors on details of variuos valves needed to winterize. I think it was not updated from 2012 as I got an early 2013 model. Hopefully Airstream has updated the 2014 owners manual.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , Michigan
Thank you so much!... I really don't want to screw up the whole winterizing process.
Do you think it's a good idea to have a RV Service Department take care of the winterizing for me for the first winter? I don't have a certified Airstream Interstate dealership near me. Is it a pretty standard process for any RV dealership to do?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Probably any rv dealer can do this for you.

Doug does ours. It's rather painstaking, but important to be thorough. The step by step directions should be in your owners manual.

Remember the outside shower, folks, and run the fluid thru both hot and cold. We missed something last year, sprung a leak and had to have the whole thing replaced.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Remember the outside shower, folks, and run the fluid thru both hot and cold. We missed something last year, sprung a leak and had to have the whole thing replaced.
Also remember to winterize the black tank flush fitting, if you've ever used it. If you never used it, it should be dry as a bone, but that check valve will retain some water and freeze if you've used it even once. I can run a hose from the exterior shower to the flush fitting to get the antifreeze to the fitting under pressure.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't used the black water flush valve, you should at least once to ensure that they didn't install the check valve backwards like they did on mine.

If you decide to use RV antifreeze, be sure to use the hot water heater bypass valve so you don't fill it with several gallons of expensive fluid. Of course you should also drain the hot water heater.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Troy , Michigan
Interstate1,
Welcome to the forum. I live in in Troy, MI and I've had my 2011 Interstate for a few years. I keep the RV in an unheated storage facility during the winter so at least it's covered up, but still needs winterizing. I have that done at A&S RV in Auburn Hills. I've considered doing it myself but the cost of having it done is not too bad (about $120). They sell Roadtreks, not Airstreams, but handle the simple maintenance items (like winterizing) for me.
John
MotorCity57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
After reading the manual, all of the posts on winterizing, and the number of things that can go wrong in the process, my dealer's winterizing charge looks pretty reasonable. Especially considering the job is guaranteed so if anything is not done right and there is a freeze related damage, they eat the cost. I think I will let them do it.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , Michigan
I greatly appreciate all your feedback... Thank you soooooo much :-)