Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
Winterizing Alert: Outdoor Shower

Hello all -- after puzzling over this and finding the answer, I found this has been addressed in this forum last winter but probably worth a fresh alert:

We have a 2017 Grand Tour. Going through my winterizing procedure this weekend I could not purge the outdoor shower (I pressurize the system at 60 psi). I did have the hose connected and made sure the QC valve was working.

On a hunch I reversed the position of the "drain valves" behind the panel under the refrigerator, next to the water pump. Lo and behold, I got pressure to the outdoor shower.

The AI manual refers to these as "drain valves" and I never before studied them closely, but in fact they are the inside valves for the outdoor shower. In addition to clearing possible confusion, here's an important observation:

I had these valves "closed" all season yet after opening them I expelled a significant amount of water through the shower hose. So even if you never use the outdoor shower (we don't), be sure to open those valves and blow out those fittings as part of your winterization routine!

David
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
It sounds like Airstream might have done right in its later Interstate models, because IMNSHO, these rigs should have had the valving feature that you describe from the very beginning, for safety reasons (which is also convenient for winterizing).

I have always thought that Airstream should have been female-dog-slapped for NOT adding isolation valves ("drain valves") to those models where the outdoor shower is basically on top of the electrical converter. The outdoor shower is very vulnerable to freezing. One accidental freeze-thaw cycle and boom, the guts of the electrical system gets soaked, and then what happens?!

When we were designing our DIY lithium system, I (ahem) compelled my husband to spend an extra day of his labor on:

(1) Improving the quality of the plumbing hardware to the outdoor shower (= big spousal argument - it was either that, or remove the outdoor shower altogether, which he did not want to do, so the plumbing improvement was the compromise), and

(2) Adding the danged valves that should have been there from Day One.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It sounds like Airstream might have done right in its later Interstate models, because IMNSHO, these rigs should have had the valving feature that you describe from the very beginning, for safety reasons (which is also convenient for winterizing).
INTERBLOG - Yes sometimes they do get to designing those "issues" right eventually. I would've preferred they not route any water lines near the electrical mains, but also realize in such small confines, may not be able to do so without wasting lots of space.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
INTERBLOG - Yes sometimes they do get to designing those "issues" right eventually. I would've preferred they not route any water lines near the electrical mains, but also realize in such small confines, may not be able to do so without wasting lots of space.
I put leak detector alarms in that area, too. No reason not to.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I put leak detector alarms in that area, too. No reason not to.
INTERBLOG - Excellent tip. Everyone should do this. Dang, rv projects will never end. They just get finished, only for new ones to take their place
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #6

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Leadville , Colorado
Low points?

I have a new 2017 and am just starting to winterize it. The manual says there is a set of low point drains either under the micro or under the fridge. I don’t have the under the micro set and wonder if those shut offs you mentioned act as the low points by going through the outdoor shower valves? Any thoughts?
Ibjcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherTC View Post
. . .
. . . So even if you never use the outdoor shower (we don't) . . .
. . .
A good lesson to new owners to check all systems . . .

. . . even the ones you don’t intend to use a lot.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibjcarp View Post
I have a new 2017 and am just starting to winterize it. The manual says there is a set of low point drains either under the micro or under the fridge. I don’t have the under the micro set and wonder if those shut offs you mentioned act as the low points by going through the outdoor shower valves? Any thoughts?
Welcome to the forum!

You would be well served to hook up to city water [with a clean potable water hose and inline filter], plus a waste hose to drain the grey water, and test every single valve incl low point drains.

Airstream’s manuals are incomplete and inconsistent. You have a full-scale model of what the manual describes.

Put it through its paces!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote