Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Winterized for the First Time Macerator Pump Issue

Hello All,

We have put some serious miles on our AI, but after returning from Texas decided to winterize since we have no planned trips until March. This was an adventure to say the least. The owner's manual was not always clear and sometimes conflicted with Airstream online instructions and videos.

We did manage and only came to a halt when the macerator pump blew a fuse. We found some help here on trying to free the pump blades by rotating them using a screw driver. Similar to clearing your garbage disposal by manually cranking. Anyway, we would get it freed up and put in a fuse only to have it seize up again and blow another fuse. My brave husband got under the AI and disconnected the line (Yuck! Thankfully we were at the flush out stage) and discovered a clump of "hair" as he described it. Since we have not taken showers or used the AI for very long I can only speculate this was left from the previous owners. Luckily that did the trick and we had lots of 20 amp fuses. Before you ask, we only use the RV toilet paper and no kids to blame for putting something down the toilet.

She is put to bed in our garage and feel the next time we winterize it will go much faster. Learning curves can be difficult. At least my husband and I did great team work and are not headed to divorce court.

Happy New Year to All. We are looking forward to 2021!
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Good work

Great to hear a potential problem solved! Having been in similar situations we are far more impressed you are still married than got the macerator working, LOL!
Old 12-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
If you haven't already thought of this, put a wire mesh drain strainer in the bottom of the shower. It will cut down on any hair flowing into the macerator.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
If you haven't already thought of this, put a wire mesh drain strainer in the bottom of the shower. It will cut down on any hair flowing into the macerator.
I really like these. I use them in the stick house too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._al_bw_c_x_3_w

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
My 3yr old macerator suddenly decided to blow 20A fuses. Zero possibility of any hair or other unusual obstruction, but I guess I could have the beginnings of a deterioration of the rubber impellar. It spins free and was never locked-up.

While not ideal, I went to a 25A fuse after all my 20A's were blown, and all seems fine. I tried again to go back to the recommended 20A fuse and it still blows immediately, without even the slightest sound or motion so I went back to 25A.

My macerator (Airstream Avenue) is readily accessible so after dumping I feel wires and connections and they are never hot so I will continue to monitor and stick with a 25A fuse until the problem gets worse. Then I would do a macerator replacement.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote