Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well played, sir. Well played indeed! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Well Dang ! I don't use a WD hitch of any sort? So should I expect my entire Airstream to transform into one huge chunk of ice and then shatter into a million pieces?
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
2020 25' Globetrotter
Fayettville , Georgia
Who is this dealer? I want to stay away from them. I’m sure others will too!
Mike
Mike1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Note to the world: Airstream dealer XXX does not know how to protect your unit from prolonged exposure to below freezing temperatures. Do not use them unless they can prove knowledge that all water freezes at below 32F.
Or you can spicify what below freezing temperature hour days your unit will be at 3.6 weeks from now so your piping only freezes partially.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Here’s a joke for this thread, said to be true. Lady takes her Cadillac to a repair shop cause the engine had frozen and broken . Lady says she put Lake Tahoe water in it because Lake Tahoe never freezes. (Tahoe is very deep and turns enough that the surface doesn’t freeze.)

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
If the fresh water tank wasn't drained, the unit wasn't winterized.
What did the winterizing entail if the water was not removed from the lines?

Oh, they hit the battery disconnect switch ...LOL
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1948 View Post
Who is this dealer? I want to stay away from them. I’m sure others will too!
Mike
As the OP said earlier:

[click on orange arrows in quotes to go to each post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirstpb View Post
Yep. That’s the place. And, the invoice is detailed regarding the procedure, which includes draining the freshwater tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
PS -- Here?

https://www.crainrv.com/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #48

1978 25' Tradewind
St. Petersburg , Florida
I agree with th posts that say they were covering their butts. Not only that, but although a 20 or 30 gallon tank with take a long time to freeze, the problem is in NOT putting antifreeze in the lines. They are probably only 1/2" thick, which will freeze (and break) LOTS faster than the full tank. My '78 Land Yacht is in the process of having all lines replaced with PEX for that reason (operator error...)
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Larry - if you leave the FW tank full over the winter but are equipped with a ProPride, the tank won’t freeze.

You’re welcome. [emoji3]
Steve,

This thread is not about leaving your FW tank full over the winter. If you're going to try snark you should at least stay on topic.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
What did the winterizing entail if the water was not removed from the lines?

Oh, they hit the battery disconnect switch ...LOL
The OP stated the dealer performed all steps EXCEPT the technician did not drain the fresh water tank. The freeze, during the short time protection was needed was not deep nor long enough to cause the tank water to freeze.

I get y'all are trying to be funny but remember others will read your mischaracterizations and will be mislead, clearly because you don't seem to bother to read the relevant posts.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Steve,

This thread is not about leaving your FW tank full over the winter. If you're going to try snark you should at least stay on topic.

Ok. First - the original post (#1 in this thread) is NOT about leaving the FW tank full over the winter. It’s about the OP being (understandably) confused and concerned by the dealer offering to “winterize” the unit while in for service and then picking it up to find the FW tank full. Winterizing has a pretty common definition to the vast majority of RVers and that doesn’t include leaving any water in the unit. If this thread has swayed off topic (don’t they all?), may I suggest your novel interpretation of the word “winterize” was a strong contributor...

Second - as I acknowledged in reply #3 - given the OP’s description of the details, I didn’t think there would be damage to the tank. It takes a prolonged exposure to sub-freezing temps for 39 gallons of water to turn in to a frozen brick of ice - of course, the expansion of volume would happen before complete freezing but the point seems in these specific circumstances, OP would be best served by emptying the tank and repeating the full process correctly to avoid any water left in pipes or joints that will expand and cause damage if not addressed.

Third - as mentioned earlier, you have suggested there are varying models of winterizing. I can’t argue with you on that. Just because I’ve never heard of it before doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist - but I literally never heard of multiple definitions of winterizing before. Methods? Yes. Blow out with air, flush with AF, some combination of both, use cheap vodka instead of AF - but all have the common definition of removing all water from the unit.

I can’t know for certain but would venture your concept of some cases including leaving the FW tank full was novel to more than 95% of the people who read it here. Doesn’t make you wrong/me right - I’ve just never heard it before nor could I personally see a practical use for such a scenario. If it works for you - awesome! Knock yourself out. If an RV dealer did that to me and said the unit was “winterized” they’d be paying for all the damages that caused.

Fourth - the snark was an obvious attempt at lightening up an unnecessarily contentious thread with some humor. You know - like we might do if we were shooting the breeze over a camp fire and having some fun - you know, when we’re not all hidden behind a stupid screen and missing 80% of the communication cues we prefer as human beings.

Last - hoping that clarifies for anyone reading this in the future. I agree with you - I don’t like to leave things to chance when someone joins the forums - as I did when I was a rookie - seeking help and guidance. For future readers - it is my opinion that the most common understanding of the word “winterize” means leaving NO WATER ON BOARD period.

It’s fine if others have differing opinions. You now have mine - likely worth everything you paid for it - and I wish you all happy camping, happy new year, and no ice damage in your future [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

. . . and here we go back around the circle . . .

Happy New Year!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote