Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Winterize ~ ??? ~ pushing pink RV anti-freeze

Ideal - Winterize by following AS recommended procedures Ö ok yep, got it. Thank you

Back story

Two week ago, I completed transactions on two vans in Bend Oregon for 2017 and 2018 units. One new owner is delayed departing Bend, Oregon and wants advice on a temp winterization solution. (They canít locate someone in town to winterize).

Idea:

Assuming, on the 2018 tankless HW unit never ever was used (the owner promisedÖ) would it be an acceptable temporary winterization process:

1. remove all water (flush to toilet, and then drain black and gray tanks)

2. Add five gallons of RV anti freeze through fresh water fill to holding tank

3. Run water pump until you see pink emitting from all faucets, hoses, and toilet

Iím assuming this is a acceptable stop-gap measure with some inherent risks Ö correct?

Am I missing anything?

Caveats -

try to keep van warm inside with lower cabinets open

Try to avoid 20 degree or lower temps Ö or prolonged cold

Space heater inside

Tank warmerís turned on

Yes, I know how the pink stuff works and suggest they flush the lines liberally with water when they get to Florida. But if youíre drinking water from your ASI water holding tank, well uhm Ö uhm Ö yeah I canít comment on that.

I have my own 2018 unit which Iíve recently agreed to sell, and think Iíd be ok with the above temp solution - but donít want to offer this new owner bad advice.

Thoughts welcomed from AS Van owners only please Ö

I may be missing something from experienced ASI folks.
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That sounds like what I do every fall, tho be sure to open the low point drains, as well.

Then close them and do the pink stuff thru the toilet, shower hose, sinks.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Other than the tankless water heater, with which I have no experience, the procedure you outlined should work adequately. I don't know what the procedure is to winterize one of the tankless water heaters.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I would also run pink stuff into the black and grey tanks then through both knife valves and through the macerator. Your caveats should keep everything inside from freezing as well as the fresh and grey tanks, but will not help the discharge plumbing. I'd be especially concerned about the macerator.

I drilled a 3/4" hole through the PVC pipe between the drain valves and macerator and put a sink stopped in it. Then a large hose clamp around the pipe and stopper, to hold the stopper in place. I remove this stopper when winterizing and drain a couple or gallons of water trapped before the macerator. I then put pink stuff in the macerator drain line (held high in the air) and let it rund backwards through the macerator (turning it backwards with a screwdriver) until it runs out my 3/4 drain hole. Probably a lot of over-kill, but beats having to replace something that froze and broke.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I don't know about the tankless water heater, but this is what I have done for 4 winters:

1. Empty and flush black and grey tanks with clean water. Drain completely.
2. Isolate (w/valves on plumbing in crawl space) and drain HW tank.
3. Remove inlet water filter on pump and replace w/3 ft flexible hose. Put end of hose in a 1-gal jug of pink antifreeze.
4. Turn on pump and turn on hot AND cold taps at each fixture in turn, from closest to pump to furthest; run each until only antifreeze is present. Kitchen sink tap & sprayer, toilet, brush sink, shower. I can get all lines flushed with 1 gallon of antifreeze.
5. With pump still switched on, I open all taps until they are spitting air & antifreeze. Leave them all open and switch off the pump. Replace inlet line and filter on the pump.

This flushing method puts plenty of antifreeze in the drain traps and waste tanks. I would never put antifreeze in the FW tank; it would require lots and lots of flushing to clear.

Come spring (or winter travel to warmer climes) I fill the FW tank, flush the lines a bit, then top off the FW tank including 1/2 cup of bleach to sanitize. I run this into the lines and HW tank until I smell chlorine at each tap, then let it sit overnight. The next day I drain the HW heater, drain and refill the FW tank, flush the sanitizer out of the lines and HW tank and I'm ready to go.

Winter nighttime temps in Albuquerque drop into the teens or even single digits frequently. I've had no problems with freeze damage using this procedure.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #6
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
How do you winterize a tankless water heater in a 2020 interstate?
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Scott,

(I must have missed Airheads response as I wrote this, as we are basically doing the same thing except we run the antifreeze through the city water instead hooking into the pump with a hose). Sorry for the repeat.

There’s an adapter and a kit from Camco that makes winterizing so much easier and you skip the fresh water tank step. Granted, you still run antifreeze through your water lines, but I like the fact you aren’t having antifreeze sit in your holding tank myself. We rarely drink the water anyway, if ever, but I’d rather leave it untouched from anything potentially toxic (even though they say RV antifreeze is not toxic, I think)…

We blow out the lines with the air compressor using the Camco 36104 plastic blow out plug. (I forgot, you need a blow tool for your air compressor end also). Make sure the water holding tank is drained, of course.
Follow directions as good as possible in the manual, but I admit they are a bit confusing. Open your low points, etc, as it states along the way, things like that as it states.

Then on to the RV antifreeze part…

If you buy the Camco 36003 hand pump kit, it screws into the city water inlet. Therefore, you can hand pump the antifreeze right out of the gallon jug into your water lines. We have someone inside run the water pump switch as needed, meaning for a few seconds at a time as we hand pump the antifreeze in, to push the antifreeze through the lines. You must remember that before starting the antifreeze part, to close your low water drain points and bypass the water heater…at least the old model is this way). We turn on our faucets one by one as the water lines flow, including the outside shower, flushing the toilet until it runs pink. Pour a cup or a couple down the toilet, down the sinks, and run the macerator until it runs out pink. Don’t forget to wipe down the sinks so the RV antifreeze doesn’t cause damage or stain them.

It doesn’t take that long to do if you have a portable air compressor and those couple of tools.

They could easily flush the toilet with RV antifreeze until they get out of the cold weather. After that, just hook up to a water source and run it until it’s not running pink any longer, and go empty your tanks and they are back to functioning, minus needing to turn on the hot water bypass. I can’t speak on the newer water heaters and how hard they are to get back up and running though.

I bet we could get this done in maybe 20 minutes if I’d sit down and write down the steps as I’ve found we get a bit frantic waiting to do this till the last night before it freezes! I think it’s denial we want to put it away for the winter.

I think the antifreeze pump kit makes it pretty easy to accomplish the task at hand and I like that it keeps the water tank empty of RV antifreeze.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
How do you winterize a tankless water heater in a 2020 interstate?
Very simple first do not bypass it (might not be setup for it) next ignore it and winterize the rest of the water lines, then you are done.

Really the tankless water heater just has a short length of pipe in it that will get winterized by either blowing it out or running RV anti-freeze through it with the rest of the lines, just like the line water would go through to bypass the tanked water heater.

I know sounds so easy it can't be right, but it is.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Thank everyone ~ I appreciate your feedback

Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:17 PM   #10
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Remember the hose outside…run the antifreeze through the shower spray hose outside…
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote