Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Winter Plug in

Is it a good idea to leave the interstate plugged in during the winter? In the past I stored it outdoors without being hooked up but now I have a good spot next to my garage where I can... will it matter either way?
k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
Is it a good idea to leave the interstate plugged in during the winter? In the past I stored it outdoors without being hooked up but now I have a good spot next to my garage where I can... will it matter either way?
You will want to get the (optional) battery temperature probe for the Magnum inverter/charger if you don't already have it, so that the charge rate will be temperature-compensated. But with that probe in place, you can leave the van plugged in 24/7 all winter long with no ill effects.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Swanton , Vermont
Similar Question

Our 2018 AI is in a heated garage and it is plugged into a 110 20 amp circuit.

Can I leave it like that all winter? The manual says to remove the batteries, put on a charger.....

Or should I put a timer on it and only have power to it for an hour or so each day?

Turn off the battery switch?

Basically looking for nubie help on what to do.

Thanks.
Mardawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I leave mine plugged in all the time. We even run the fridge and freezer so we don't have to worry about them getting smelly.

The charging system is automatic so no need for timers and such. And no one could pay me enough to crawl under again to remove those batteries!!! What is Airstream thinking with that kind of advice?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:06 AM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardawg View Post
Our 2018 AI is in a heated garage and it is plugged into a 110 20 amp circuit.

Can I leave it like that all winter? The manual says to remove the batteries, put on a charger.....

Or should I put a timer on it and only have power to it for an hour or so each day?

Turn off the battery switch?

Basically looking for nubie help on what to do.

Thanks.
Sounds like your manual still has instructions for prior year (12 or 13) AI's that had a Triplite invertor/charger. Your's has the Magnum invertor/charger with which you can leave yours plugged in 24/7. That is what I do and have not had an issue in 4 years.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote