Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2024, 10:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Windshield replacement and recalibration of sensors

Hi,

I got a cracked windshield and just took my AI into S*felite to have it replaced, and recalibrated.
Just got a call from them that they can't do the recalibration due to it being a conversion van (he thought it might because the van sits differently due to the air suspension).
I will try my Sprinter van dealer (literally across the highway)to see if they can do the recalibration.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Kevin
Old 06-14-2024, 12:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Hi please keep us updated.
I have cracked windshield ( repair it at home with epoxy DIY). Really, we have been putting repair off until I get a second crack.
Old 06-14-2024, 12:29 PM   #3
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ocala , Florida
I just went through this... When I called my insurance they suggested Safelite... well I called Safelite and specifically ask them if they did calibration and said yes.

I make the appointment, take my AI. They finish replacing the glass and then I get a call telling me that they can't dot he calibration. @#%Q@!@%$@#

I would have made an appointment directly with the Mercedes dealer if I knew that was the case. To say I was frustrated is an understatement.

My suggestion, take it to a Mercedes dealer that works with Sprinters and have it done there.

Now I have to make an appointment with Mercedes to get the calibration done. Son of a gun! Insurance will cover the extra cost of having to do this, but what a PITA!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
I replaced the windshield at a small shop with an off-brand glass. Saved money, but no calibration. Took it to Mercedes later and had them calibrate, but the system still doesn't work right. I decided to live with it.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 10:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
My 2016 has the windshield with the heated wires going through it. On my first trip, a rock from a truck caused a major crack requiring replacement. My recollection from 8 years ago is: in order for some safety features to work, you must go with original factory glass.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I had the windshield on my 2012 replaced at Safelite without a problem. They said the MB windshield was higher priced (~$100 if I recall) than generic, and wondered which I wanted. I said MB, thinking that there might be electrical/sensor compatibility issues with the generic. I figured I might have to pay the difference, but the insurance company didn't charge me the extra $. All has worked fine after replacement. I am not sure what sensors, if any, needed to be recalibrated. Might have been as simple as plugging in the heated windshield wires.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 11:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Titus - your 2013 Interstate doesn’t have any sensors that require calibration. All those sensors for Drivers Assist are on newer Sprinters since about 2019.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 01:55 PM   #8
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Winter Garden , Florida
When the windshield on our 2016 got a nasty crack (rock), we took it to an MB dealer because none of the other shops had the glass, nor could they calibrate it afterward. We couldn't wait until we got home (many miles away), so we had to find someone to do it while on the road. We had quite a fight with our insurance company to get them to cover glass replacement at the dealer, because more $$$, but they eventually gave in and paid the claim in full. Oh, and this dealer wouldn't just drop the glass in and send us on our way. (We're not Safelite, we do a better job.") So, we had to stay overnight in a nearby hotel while everything cured and they double-checked the work the next morning before giving the van back so we could continue on our way.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 08:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Like Rocinante Piccolo's, my badly cracked windshield was replaced and recalibrated by MB without issue.
Lynn
Old 06-22-2024, 10:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
At the end of the day Safelite did the windshield replacement and it seems to be a very good install. I did have to take it across the street to the Sprinter (MB) dealer. I have all my other work done there. They quickly recalibrated it (it was also time for the A service).

I just need to submit the recalibration bill to my insurance company and I'm hopeful I will be reimbursed for it (had met my deductible on the comprehensive coverage at Safelite.)

Thanks for all the helpful comments!