Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Windshield cover

Like the majority of Interstate owners we have to store ours outside. Even though we used the inside windshield shades the coach would still get quite hot inside.

We switched to an outside windshield cover. It makes a material difference inside the coach. I also feel better about not creating an oven between the inside shade and the windshield as we used to.

Although it would have worked without modification, my talented wife took a couple of tucks in on the corners, and added two magnets at the top to hold it up better.

The model- it seems to very sturdy. It is surviving the hot Idaho summer. We will see about the cold Idaho winter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126a.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	352037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127a.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	352038  

Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have one of these, and they are very nice.

The only thing on the negative side I have noticed over the years is that they can trap moisture in and cause rust.

If I have mine on and experience heavy rain, I remove it to let the windshield and surrounding surface dry thoroughly, then put back on.

For long term storage, maybe the reflective aluminum shield for the inside of your front window?

Maggie
Old 09-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
I agree. After a period of rain we take it off, let everything dry and chamois off the windshield. Then put it back on.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I have one, that I ordered years ago from EuroCampers, that has screens over the front windows (with covers over the screens that stick on with Velcro). But I only use it for actual camping, never for storage. I rely on interior covers (from Outside Vans) for storage, because interior covers can't be moved, removed, or damaged by passersby with curious eyes, unlike outside windshield covers.

And in very hot or very cold weather, I use both inside and outside windshield covers when camping to control heat transfer. Since the inside covers from Outside Vans have a shiny side and a brown side, I make sure the shiny side faces out in summer and faces in during the winter, in other words I make sure that the shiny side always faces the warmer side.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I have one, but I don't use it for storage, or very often (mostly just during extreme heat events). In my subtropical neck of the woods, our heavy dew ensures that it stays damp even if it does not rain. Older Sprinters often develop rust around the windshield. I don't want to risk promoting that.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I have one for my Born Free Super-C that I occasionally use in a campground when we're going to be there for more than a couple of days. Otherwise I have Heatshield brand reflective windshield inserts custom-cut to order for each of my vehicles. They're a little pricey, and bulky to tote around, but they're the most effective windshield reflector I've found. We've used them for twenty years or so now.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2865.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	352065  
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote