Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
Wifi on a 2020 Interstate / Atlas via MBUX Hotspot

Darn you Airstream! You keep luring us back in. We moved up from our 27FB Eddie Bauer, to an Interstate GT. Now after 8 months in the GT, we are line for a 2021 Atlas!

Yes the price is always a concern, however when you start looking at all the Mercedes options that were not ordered from the factory by Winne, LTV, etc., and the inside build quality- its hard to switch.

So here is a question I cant find the answer to:

The new Sprinter MBUX infotainment offers a Hotspot via AT&T. Seems like a good direction to go, however from the LIMITED info I can gather, it does not work after about 20 minutes of the Sprinter being off. Even with the ProConnect module, I found a thread that stated to save the chasiss battery, it turns off the hotspot every 20 minutes?. Only an engine restart will re-enable it.

So that basically makes the hotspot not a full option for the RV side. Great when traveling down the road- not so great when using the wifi when engine off. I would think that the ProConnect via MB would allow the wifi to stay on indefinte via a setting, so remote staff could communicate with the Sprinter, track it, etc. Is this not the case?

Yes we can use our VZW cell phones as hotspots, but having redundancy wifi is always better.

Thanks!!
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
The new Sprinter MBUX infotainment offers a Hotspot via AT&T. Seems like a good direction to go, however from the LIMITED info I can gather, it does not work after about 20 minutes of the Sprinter being off.
Do the newer model Interstates and the Atlases even use the Sprinter OEM entertainment system? If they replace it with an aftermarket system, then your question may be moot. In the older Interstates that I'm aware of, they've used a couple of different aftermarket systems over the years.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Lecanto , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
Darn you Airstream! You keep luring us back in. We moved up from our 27FB Eddie Bauer, to an Interstate GT. Now after 8 months in the GT, we are line for a 2021 Atlas!

Yes the price is always a concern, however when you start looking at all the Mercedes options that were not ordered from the factory by Winne, LTV, etc., and the inside build quality- its hard to switch.

So here is a question I cant find the answer to:

The new Sprinter MBUX infotainment offers a Hotspot via AT&T. Seems like a good direction to go, however from the LIMITED info I can gather, it does not work after about 20 minutes of the Sprinter being off. Even with the ProConnect module, I found a thread that stated to save the chasiss battery, it turns off the hotspot every 20 minutes?. Only an engine restart will re-enable it.

So that basically makes the hotspot not a full option for the RV side. Great when traveling down the road- not so great when using the wifi when engine off. I would think that the ProConnect via MB would allow the wifi to stay on indefinte via a setting, so remote staff could communicate with the Sprinter, track it, etc. Is this not the case?

Yes we can use our VZW cell phones as hotspots, but having redundancy wifi is always better.

Thanks!!

I have the hotspot on my 2020 Atlas! It is very spotty when driving & shutdowns when engine is off. I have it a couple of months and thinking of getting rid of it. I don’t think the pro connect can help!
Gperrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Redwood City , California
I have a 2020 AI GT and paid for the unlimited hot spot through AT&T for a year and noticed the same issue. Shuts down after 15–20 minutes. Stuck an Amazon Firestick in the rear TV to get content but when parked the hotspot is useless unless the engine in the sprinter is restarted to keep it going. Hoping to find a solution. BTW the 2020 comes with the Mercedes MBUX infotainment system, not an aftermarket unit.
Jbrewco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Just picked up this week my 2020 Interstate Lounge ext. We went to campground that night and watched a movie on Netflix Of course with engine off and had no issue. Hope I don’t have problem others are having
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I wonder if the shutdown only occurs with the yearly unlimited subscriptions. They discontinued those when we bought ours and have a yearly. 100G plan
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
Thanks for the info. I was hoping a software fix could override that. Dis you have the same spotty coverage with the wifi thru the mbux unit as other say?

Perhaps the best answer is to still get a 4g extender...just not sure about the AS connect as our family would chew up the limited data plan.
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote