Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question WiFi??

Our 2018 are not WiFi enabled for the blue ray player that comes with it??? Only network option that I see in the menu is wired network.

?????

Can someone confirm before I go but looking for the way to make it work.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Our 2018 are not WiFi enabled for the blue ray player that comes with it??? Only network option that I see in the menu is wired network.

?????

Can someone confirm before I go but looking for the way to make it work.
Correct.

The easy solution is to install a WiFi router w/ switch. Plug a switch port into the BlueRay player and either "borrow" local WiFi or set up a hotspot with your cell phone. Done.

I won't go into the sensitive topic of "should we have to do this"......
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Correct.

The easy solution is to install a WiFi router w/ switch. Plug a switch port into the BlueRay player and either "borrow" local WiFi or set up a hotspot with your cell phone. Done.

I won't go into the sensitive topic of "should we have to do this"......
Thank you!

Wife surprised me with a night out in the driveway and we wanted to watch some Netflix.

I will look for a WiFi router to install in our Airstream
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54AE5873-E685-4F43-91E8-D8984BE2CA93.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	305490  
WBCCI #26769
Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Wife surprised me with a night out in the driveway and we wanted to watch some Netflix.
She's a keeper....
Old 03-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Northern , California
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Route...%2Brouter&th=1

$25

If you're a geek like me, opt for the open source version with DDWRT for $45.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Geeks, regardless of what others may think, actually DO rule the world....(evil laugh)[emoji48]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I think the adapter would depend on where the WiFi is coming from. Unless configured as an access point a typical router wants to be provided with internet via an ethernet cable. For some that can be some confusing setting mumbo jumbo.

They also make devices that do nothing more than give your Blueray player WiFi. They have to be configured as well, however, with the WiFi SSID and password. Here’s one example but I’m sure there are many.

The cool-kid solution is to outfit your trailer with its own WiFi network. Then you could indeed have a router with an ethernet port. The Technomadia folks have written a whole guide on this, though you need to pay a nominal fee for some content. www.rvmobileinternet.com
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I think the adapter would depend on where the WiFi is coming from. Unless configured as an access point a typical router wants to be provided with internet via an ethernet cable. For some that can be some confusing setting mumbo jumbo.
Most wireless routers have a simple AP mode selection that takes care of most settings for you. My ASUS is like that, as was my Buffalo before I flashed it with DDWRT. Now it's a beast (much to my daughter's dismay, like when she tries, and fails, to watch a YouTube video on her laptop when she's supposed to be doing homework, LOL)....
Old 03-03-2018, 11:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
(SFX) Evil, evil laugh.

Heh, what geek daddy hasn’t pulled off something like that?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Another, simpler, way to solve this problem is to ignore the BlueRay player all together. Just plug your favorite streaming adapter directly into the TV or into the HDMI plug at the BlueRay player. Google Chromecast, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, Roku, all work great.

WiFi or LTE won’t likely make it from outside the trailer to the inside at much distance but that’s another problem money can solve.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #11

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Another, simpler, way to solve this problem is to ignore the BlueRay player all together. Just plug your favorite streaming adapter directly into the TV or into the HDMI plug at the BlueRay player. Google Chromecast, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, Roku, all work great.

WiFi or LTE won’t likely make it from outside the trailer to the inside at much distance but that’s another problem money can solve.
Hummm I do have a spare Apple TV and an Amazon Firestick... did not think of that...
WBCCI #26769
Old 03-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:

It might be simpler, but it's definitely more expensive.

Having said that, it's the solution I typically use since we already had a AppleTV. Together with my WeBoost Drive 4G-X and unlimited data plan from Verizon on my iPhone, it all works quite well. I have the AppleTV up in the media cabinet next to my BlueRay player and connected to my TV's via the HDMI switch box. My iPhone is in a cradle up on the dash with the internal antenna from the WeBoost right next to it (once parked, I take the iPhone out of the cradle and set it right on top of the antenna for max boost...but keep the iPhone connected to power, because it struggles to keep charged when being used as a hotspot). With the iPhone set up as a WiFi hotspot for the van, I connect the ApppleTV to it and viola, done. This way we don't have to deal with DVD's (bringing them, losing them.....plus we haven't purchased a DVD in years) and we have significantly more variety available to us should we decide to watch a movie vs. sitting outside and watching the campfire and stars (our preferred evening activity).
Old 03-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I use a T-Mobile SyncUP Drive module that plugs into the OBD II port. Besides wifi, it also gives an alert when a door is opened and it reports battery condition, fuel, trip history, recalls, vehicle location, etc.

Had to get a splitter cable so could keep the ScanGauge II connected.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I use a T-Mobile SyncUP Drive module that plugs into the OBD II port. Besides wifi, it also gives an alert when a door is opened and it reports battery condition, fuel, trip history, recalls, vehicle location, etc.

Had to get a splitter cable so could keep the ScanGauge II connected.
Cool device, but I can't find much info on plans for it. It seems to come with 2GB, but how do you buy more?

Also, the MB Sprinter w/ 6 cyl diesel isn't listed as being compatible.....
Old 03-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I'm on my daughter's family plan which has unlimited minutes.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
It might be simpler, but it's definitely more expensive.
Certainly true that an Apple TV is a more expense solution, though perhaps one worthwhile for those deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem like me. It lets you easily connect your laptop via Airplay to the screen among other things.

That said, the media sticks like the Amazon Firestick $40 or the Roku at $30 are an amazing deals. Ether will run rings around using the Blueray player as a streaming device. These things are constantly being updated so be sure to search for the latest offerings.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Certainly true that an Apple TV is a more expense solution, though perhaps one worthwhile for those deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem like me. It lets you easily connect your laptop via Airplay to the screen among other things.

That said, the media sticks like the Amazon Firestick $40 or the Roku at $30 are an amazing deals. Ether will run rings around using the Blueray player as a streaming device. These things are constantly being updated so be sure to search for the latest offerings.
Completely agree on all counts. I was THIS close >< to getting a Firestick, but like you, I'm in pretty deep w/ Apple so when it was time to make my home TV a bit "smarter", AppleTV was the winner. There's something to be said for plugging their gear in and it "just works". While I do (at times) enjoy geeking out with the other gear since it tends to be more open, and therefore more flexible, my family isn't so enthusiastic about my little "experiments", so selecting gear they can all use with relative ease is a big factor in my buying decisions.....
Old 03-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Here was my solution

At home I don't have cable at all. Instead, I have AppleTV hooked to all my TV's. However, when updated my last iPhone with AT&T, they offered me "WiFi Directv". No antenna's needed. I was hesitant but it has worked GREAT for us. You name the stream movie source, we get it including Directv and HBOgo.

Be for I explain, you have to have unlimited data from your source to do this which we do have.
  1. You will need the new AppleTV, it has the ability to get the Directv app.
  2. You will need an internet source and I use the mobile hotspot from AT&T. This is also used with my Fusion Infotainment System.
  3. You have one or two HDMI input in the back of your 4X4 HDMI switcher, just plug it in.
  4. HIND: The wooden box that holds the Blu-Ray and HDMI switcher has Velcro on the bottom, so it is easy to gain access.
  5. If you set up your NEW Apple TV correctly, it will only need the AppleTV remote to turn on TV and volume.
You obviously can use any WiFi signal from home, RV site, ECT. Just change the WiFi signal in the AppleTV prior to using.

I hope that is helpful.

Gary T.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
[*]You will need an internet source and I use the mobile hotspot from AT&T.

I hope that is helpful.

Gary T.
Thanks Gary.

Just to be clear, is this "mobile hotspot" an additional device with an additional data plan, or is this setting up your iPhone as a Hotspot?

One reason I got rid of my old AT&T unlimited plan/phone is because AT&T disabled the ability to put my iPhone in hotspot mode. They did this because they didn't want people doing exactly what I do now with Verizon, which is have an unlimited data phone plan AND set my iPhone up as my hotspot. At the time, AT&T was only interested in selling ANOTHER device and charge ANOTHER fee. Curious if that's now changed.....
Old 03-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
FlyFishinRVr:

To specifically answer your question. What I bought was a data only plan for my HotSpot. The HotSpot was 1 cent. Yes I had to add the data only hotspot to my account.

The two plans they have a HUGE cost difference. I bought the cheaper one. Unlimited data for all phones and hotspot. HOWEVER, although my hotspot can handle 10 devices, my phones can not provide hotspots any more (Just as you said below). I tried reception with phone first then with hotspot. Hotspot did the trick so I gave up my ability to use my phone as a hotspot and saved the money.

I was going to go to Verizon also. Move all my phones, iPad and get a hotspot. When I did the math, AT&T cost much less. This is my situation but everyone should do a cost comparison. The one thing I know was the reception/streaming services worked much better on a hotspot.

Quote:
Thanks Gary.

Just to be clear, is this "mobile hotspot" an additional device with an additional data plan, or is this setting up your iPhone as a Hotspot?

One reason I got rid of my old AT&T unlimited plan/phone is because AT&T disabled the ability to put my iPhone in hotspot mode. They did this because they didn't want people doing exactly what I do now with Verizon, which is have an unlimited data phone plan AND set my iPhone up as my hotspot. At the time, AT&T was only interested in selling ANOTHER device and charge ANOTHER fee. Curious if that's now changed.....

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote