Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2022, 04:10 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Well, Thanksgiving is over and now I’m finally getting some time to finish up the chassis battery solar charging mod and a few other projects.

I removed the existing solar panel entry SAE gland and of course this was a project on its own as Airstream put so much Dicor on it and I had a heck of a time removing it but eventually did. The old one was in bad shape and signs of wearing were present. I removed it and added a new that I got from Amazon. Once I installed it, I screwed it in and added some Sikaflex around it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up this solar panel 25w solar panel from Amazon that fit perfectly between our fan and our antenna. I cleaned up the area and attached it with some 3M VHB tape along with some EternaBond tape and this small panel should hold up fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed the new panel to the new Entry SAE gland and was good to go. I tested it prior to doing the final install with my multimeter to make sure that it was working and installed properly. As you can see, I didn’t do any better than Airstream with the Sikaflex and have admitted to being horrible at applying it.

Now, my next step is to install our Lagun table mount that we received and put everything back together. After that, remove and cut down the Starlink Dishy. Lastly, I need to drop the generator and install the new hoses. I picked up the motorcycle lift a couple of weeks ago and it’s just sitting in my garage waiting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	425771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	425772  

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	425773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	425774  

StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:12 PM   #122
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
More pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Size:	494.0 KB
ID:	425775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	425776  

Name:	IMG_0492.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	425777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	425778  

Old 11-29-2022, 04:34 PM   #123
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Front Passenger Seat Lagun Table Mount

Well, I was going to install the Vanspeed Lagun table spacer mount that I received but after finally taking things apart and measuring, I still would’ve needed a little over 2” to clear the seat levers. I test mounted it with the additional two inches with some wood blocks but didn’t like the look of the black spacer, wood blocks and actual Lagun mount so I scrapped it and went with all wood. I first thought about staining it to match the Walnut finish but couldn’t find a decent match so I scrapped that too and decided to wrap it in fabric. I bought some faux leather fabric and covered up the wood blocks to kinda match the seat skirts and looks pretty decent IMHO. I still have some clean up work to do around the skirt area and not sure if I’m going to cut the skirt around the mount or what but we’ll figure something out.

The good thing was that I was still able to use the holes that I previously made and worked out perfect. Another PITA was cutting that thick grey mat that Mercedes puts in the front floor area. There is additional layer of some raised peg style type hard plastic underneath that is a pain to cut around. It looks a bit rough but I still have the WeatherTech middle floor carpet that I need to put back and cut more cleanly around the base of the mount.

The leg of the table fit perfectly between two seat levers and cleared it. No, there’s no way for us to move the seat around with the table leg in place. To do this, I would’ve have to go further out with additional blocks and we didn’t want to be tripping over it every time so we decided against it and are good with it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	425839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	425840  

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	425841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	425842  

Old 11-29-2022, 04:35 PM   #124
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
The way it is now, we can use it with the seats in the front position comfortably or with the seats turned around. The bonus is that we can turn the table in toward the passenger seat and use this as an additional prep table when cooking or just leave it like that when at a campsite as it won’t in the way of getting in and out of the rig.

To be honest, this was kinda a PITA to install as with anything Airstream Interstate - a game inches! However, we’re happy with the outcome and it will definitely get a lot of use and will be our main table. We have an additional mount in the back and we’ll probably get a lighter table for it so that when we’re in bed can have something to place our laptops on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0512.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	425843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	425844  

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	425845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	425846  

Old 12-02-2022, 06:58 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
GPS Antenna For Victron Cerbo

Today I added a quick and easy plug and play mod. I decided to add an additional GPS antenna to our rig that can be added via one of the Cerbo GX USB ports. There is nothing else to do but just plug the GPS antenna into the Cerbo and no settings to fuss with. The one that I got from Amazon, the back side of the GPS antenna is magnetic and I just buried it to the frame underneath the jump seat. I added it just in case our rig was ever stolen and they found a way to disable the Australian Shepherd antenna one. They would really need to be smart to disable two of these with two separate cutoff switches.

The cool thing within the Victron VRM is that you can set a Geofence and get notified if your rig has left the designated area. I can now open up the app quickly and see all of our info there. I'm liking the VRM app way more than the Victron Connect app.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EROIUEW...roduct_details

Old 12-29-2022, 07:23 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
GX 70 Monitor & Victron MPPT 100/50 Solar Charge Controller

I decided to upgrade our Victron GX 50 display with the bigger GX 70 display. After installing the GuiMods for our Cerbo it seemed to busy of a screen for all the information that it is able to display with the GuiMods download. Now with the GX 70 it doesn’t look too bad. Since I’m an info Geek - this display has everything that I would ever need. I still need to do some organizing in the locker area to make it look decent/ fit and also have to go through all the available options that I want displayed. I temporarily installed it to make sure it was working fine and get a lay of the land.

I also decided to update the Victron MPPT 100/30 with a new 100/50 as I’m a little over the limit on on the 100/30 with 500W’s of solar but not by much. They actually recommend hat you oversize your solar array a bit over the limit of the charge controller. I decided to upgrade it as I’m planning to add an exterior outlet for an additional 200W’s of solar via a portable panel in the near future.

A few more winter projects in the works if the weather cooperates which include:

1 - Adding the additional SeeLevel II N2K monitor as a remote monitor tied to our Cerbo GX to monitor our fresh, gray and black tanks. I received it and plan on starting work on this project soon. I plan to somehow add it to the exterior area in the dump station compartment.

2 - Shaving off 4” of the Starlink dishy base mount.

3 - Hardwiring the 30A Hughes autoformer that we received. I’m thinking of a plug and play setup just in case the autoformer gets a hit that puts it out of commission - I can tie the shore power plug to the transfer switch via a plug quickly.

4- Adding a shorter SeeLevel II tank sensor to the black tank. This shorter one has 1” inch intervals for a more accurate measurement.

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods?...SogXLdSND-wt3o

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Garne...N2K-NLP-MO.htm

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Garne...9-p/710-ar.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0602.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	426615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	426616  

Old 01-14-2023, 03:51 PM   #127
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 19
Athens , GA
Starlink Alternate Mount

Sorry for late addition, but I've been working on a SL roof mount option as well. I started with a large mount fabricated by Danny Hightower, but unfortunately discovered the footprint was too large for the available space on the roof of my 2022 AI19. I then purchased a STAR-MOUNT low-profile flat mount and paid for the modification service to cut down the dishy. I used the existing roof penetration at the OTA TV antenna and ran the SL cable inside the van behind the cabinetry, feeding it into the closet and then down into the cubby below the TV. I originally used suction cups to mount to the roof but grew weary when I found them losing suction given a slight contour in the roofline. I found, after a few tries, a great magnetic option which makes it easy to remove the dishy in case of poor visibility; I purchased an additional 75' SL cable so I can find a clearing at a campsite if necessary. It's taken a great deal of time, patience, and money, but I'm thrilled with the result.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3568.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	427147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3613.jpg
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	427148  

Name:	IMG_3616.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	427149  
mjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:32 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Your mount really looks nice and love the low profile. I haven't had a chance to cut ours down due to the crappy weather but will get it done eventually. If I'm not happy with the look after I cut it down, I'll go your route and use that service.

On another note, it's time you get rid of the additional router and convert it to 12v's. We did it and have had no issues.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:12 PM   #129
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 19
Athens , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
Your mount really looks nice and love the low profile. I haven't had a chance to cut ours down due to the crappy weather but will get it done eventually. If I'm not happy with the look after I cut it down, I'll go your route and use that service.

On another note, it's time you get rid of the additional router and convert it to 12v's. We did it and have had no issues.

I’m rather unsophisticated and relatively new to these things; what do you mean by 12v?
mjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:51 PM   #130
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjacobs View Post
I’m rather unsophisticated and relatively new to these things; what do you mean by 12v?
mjacobs, I'm sorry for the late reply.

What I meant is removing the Starlink router and using your Airstream Pepwave router instead. By doing so you can run it using your your house 12v batteries to power it up instead of paying the inverter tax and using as 120v.

I documented some of the conversion around post# 83 on this thread. Hope this helps. Less hassles and no need to carry around extra equipment.

I believe there is also some info on the Elon Musk Router Delete thread on the modification.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:38 PM   #131
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Refrigerator/Freezer Wiring Harness

Once again I had to remove the refrigerator and freezer to do some work and as many of you that have done this know that the hard part is accessing the wires to remove them from either one. The cables are short and tight enough that it takes a juggling act to hold and remove the wires often requiring some help. Removing both out of their cabinet is the easy part.

I should have done this when I did the refrigerator/freezer mod when I replaced the thermostat, added fans and reflective insulation material on post # 75. I was running out of time then and got frustrated trying to make some molex connectors so I just used some connectors that I found on Amazon and regular butt connectors etc. A bit easier than the stock wiring but I was not happy with it so I replaced them for an easier plug solution.

I ordered a 16Ga 6 wire wiring harness and and some waterproof connector plugs like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KGC2X6Q...t_details&th=1

I went to town cutting, splicing wires, heat shrinking and ended up with a clean wiring harness that I ran to the top left hand corner of both the refrigerator and freezer where it’s easy to reach when pulled out to disconnect. Absolutely a time and frustration saver!

Bunch on the list to do that include:

- Hardwire a 30A Hughes Autoformer that I have sitting in the garage.
- Wire the AC Out 2 of the Victron inverter. The AC Out 2 provides power to this leg only when plugged into shore power, generator or solar. When none of these are available, no power to this leg.
- Install a small Blue Sea System sub-panel that will have three circuits. I’m going to wire the heat tape wrapped around the exterior plumbing/tanks and the 120v BatteryMinder under the front seat as both of these items are pulling too many amps for my liking. I have a switch for both but would like to just set it and forget it and not power up when not tied to shore power. Running them off the AC Out 2 will be perfect and I’ll have an additional breaker spot if needed for anything else. I ordered this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K2IKQE...roduct_details

- Finish installing the the additional SeeLevel II monitor somewhere on the exterior dump hose housing area.
- Install the two remote dump valve switches on the inside near the command center locker.
- Fix curbside window that has a small leak. I have the parts.
- Drop the generator to replace the hoses. I have the hoses and lift that I ordered form Harbor Freight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0747.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	427574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	427575  

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	427576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	427577  

Old 01-31-2023, 06:27 AM   #132
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
The way it is now, we can use it with the seats in the front position comfortably or with the seats turned around. The bonus is that we can turn the table in toward the passenger seat and use this as an additional prep table when cooking or just leave it like that when at a campsite as it won’t in the way of getting in and out of the rig.

To be honest, this was kinda a PITA to install as with anything Airstream Interstate - a game inches! However, we’re happy with the outcome and it will definitely get a lot of use and will be our main table. We have an additional mount in the back and we’ll probably get a lighter table for it so that when we’re in bed can have something to place our laptops on.

Nice install

In our case our priority was to be able to turn the seats and have the table in the middle of the four seats. It also needed to work as a desk for when my wife needed to work while I was driving... We love this modification and even more so, the lighter table I made to replace the factory one.

As nice looking as the factory table is, it is heave as heck... Made the new one the same style so it fits in the stock storage location.

Hardest part was getting it located where it would allow the driver seat to turn without issues while not being in the way as we walked between the seats to the back...

I had made an extra mount that I gifted to a forum member (or was it a FB member??) But not sure if he went ahead and installed it... I am going to ask him about it...

Anyway... so many changes you have made that are now on my list of things to do... I just need the time!!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:01 PM   #133
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Nice install

In our case our priority was to be able to turn the seats and have the table in the middle of the four seats. It also needed to work as a desk for when my wife needed to work while I was driving... We love this modification and even more so, the lighter table I made to replace the factory one.

As nice looking as the factory table is, it is heave as heck... Made the new one the same style so it fits in the stock storage location.

Hardest part was getting it located where it would allow the driver seat to turn without issues while not being in the way as we walked between the seats to the back...

I had made an extra mount that I gifted to a forum member (or was it a FB member??) But not sure if he went ahead and installed it... I am going to ask him about it...

Anyway... so many changes you have made that are now on my list of things to do... I just need the time!!!
Thanks Wachuko.

I was going to copy your install but I've been under that seat and it's pretty tight and busy with all the Airstream & Mercedes wiring. The passenger seat was easier and since I already had it all torn up, made more sense. Your install definitely looks better than mine for sure. I'm also planning on replacing the table as it's too heavy. My old neighbor that moved to SC is a master woodworker and we have an upcoming trip to visit him and I'll have him measure and make us up a new lighter table for us. I like you want it to fit in the same location as the stock Airstream one.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:15 PM   #134
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Douglassville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Nice install

That mount looks great - can you go into more detail on how you mounted it in that location and what parts you used to create the mount? The lagun mount itself I assume is standard, but what you mounted it to and how you mounted to the chassis is what I'm curious about. Thanks!
lorne_k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:44 AM   #135
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorne_k2 View Post
That mount looks great - can you go into more detail on how you mounted it in that location and what parts you used to create the mount? The lagun mount itself I assume is standard, but what you mounted it to and how you mounted to the chassis is what I'm curious about. Thanks!
All documented in my thread. Here you go:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2412953
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:59 PM   #136
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Water Pump Vent

One thing that has always bothered me is the access panel setup that Airstream installed on the bottom of the freezer area opposite side of the water pump. It’s a two part puzzle panel and only the right side one can be removed with those crappy latches that they use for the draws. The left side can be removed but will require some work. When you remove the panel you have halfway access to the water pump and probably enough to work on it but not comfortable. In 2017 Airstream started to put in a full access vent and I’ve seen some current videos and this is what they’re still using which is way better than those two part panels.

Since I have everything apart, I decided to do the same and update it to what Airstream is doing. I removed the both panels and the base for the freezer. I used the the freezer base panel for the panel and just bought some plywood from HD to replace what was there. You can’t see it so it works out and I now have some additional paneling if needed for anything.

I put it all together and it looks good but I just need to add the top two black longer screws that I'm waiting on. Now I have have full access to this area when I remove the vent and need to access to it. It also provides some heat or AC to the this area depending on the season.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0700.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	427782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	427783  

Name:	IMG_0782.jpg
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	427784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	427785  

Old 02-04-2023, 08:01 PM   #137
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Additional Pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0760.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	427786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	427787  

Old 02-05-2023, 10:32 AM   #138
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
LP, CO & Smoke Detectors

MY CO detector was blaring out the end of life chirp. This got me to take a look at the LP detector and it says right on the front of it that it should be replaced after 84 months. Well, we’ve had this van since 2015 and hadn’t replaced any of those so I decided to replace all three.

Both the CO and smoke detector were easy to find on Amazon and I ordered them there. The Atwood LP detector is no longer made in black and are now being made in white only. I didn’t want to put in a white one so I ordered one from Amazon that fit the area with a little light switch faceplate mod. This one has the ability to display level of gas well. Pretty easy install as all I did was cut the wires and install the new one with some WAGO connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SP3TCBD...roduct_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHVV5NN...roduct_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYEBOO7...roduct_details

If you want to replace it with the white one :
https://www.campingworld.com/atwood-...ite-82278.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	427820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	427821  

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	427822  
Old 02-14-2023, 12:34 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Why did we go down or is it an Up-grade rabbit hole?

Upgrades anyone

I thought I’d done my last upgrade…then this bad boy drove up…..in Yellowstone just now.

Name:	IMG_1994.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	761.4 KB
ID:	428078
Old 02-18-2023, 10:03 AM   #140
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Upgrades anyone

I thought I’d done my last upgrade…then this bad boy drove up…..in Yellowstone just now.
Attachment 428078
Haha - I'll pass on that one but get's an A for ingenuity.