Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Who moved from trailer to Class B and is sorry?

Hi Everyone,

I have posted a couple of other threads on the "likes" and "dislikes" of Class B travel. We are contemplating changing from our trailer to a Class B in the next 2-4 years.

Thought I would take another angle on gathering information since the other threads have been SO helpful to me.

Have any of you moved from a trailer to a Class B and regretted it?

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I went the reverse....from an Interstate to a trailer. To be as brief as possible......

The trailer is so much more spacious and livable.

The Interstate is so much easier to just get in and drive. A great "road trip" vehicle.

If you do more moving around road tripping, the Interstate is great.

If you like to stay in one place for longer periods of time, the trailer is better.

We were road trippers and loved our Interstate. Rarely stayed anywhere more than a couple nights.

Now we're into a different kind of traveling, and we're staying in each place for at least 4 nights, preferably longer. And the trailer is the best way for us to enjoy this.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
I went the reverse....from an Interstate to a trailer. To be as brief as possible......

The Interstate is so much easier to just get in and drive. A great "road trip" vehicle.

If you like to stay in one place for longer periods of time, the trailer is better.

We were road trippers and loved our Interstate. Rarely stayed anywhere more than a couple nights.

Now we're into a different kind of traveling, and we're staying in each place for at least 4 nights, preferably longer. And the trailer is the best way for us to enjoy this.
Great info. Still so torn as we love our trailer very much. It is very livable indeed! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Great info. Still so torn as we love our trailer very much. It is very livable indeed! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Feel free to message me (or post here) if you have any other questions. I'm happy to go into as much detail as you'd like, regarding our experience.

Bottom line though, is they're both great, but each is better at certain things! And yes, if you have to spend a lot of time inside (dark out, cold out, raining out, etc.), the Interstate is small. That narrow aisle can get very claustrophobic!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
And yes, if you have to spend a lot of time inside (dark out, cold out, raining out, etc.), the Interstate is small. That narrow aisle can get very claustrophobic!
On our dual bunk version with just two seats, the aisle is quite long and spacious:

It is only an issue when we want to pass each other (which we can but with some coordination).
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we have been recently checking out various Class B motorhomes for the convenience of get up and go. Price and quality isn't up to par with us. We are still open to the class B motorhomes if we find something that we like. After looking at several class B's and then going inside of my 25' trailer, my first thought is comfort of our trailer, getting around attractions with my truck, versus the quick get up and go with the class B. Right now, I'm leaning on keeping the trailer.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we have been recently checking out various Class B motorhomes for the convenience of get up and go. Price and quality isn't up to par with us. We are still open to the class B motorhomes if we find something that we like. After looking at several class B's and then going inside of my 25' trailer, my first thought is comfort of our trailer, getting around attractions with my truck, versus the quick get up and go with the class B. Right now, I'm leaning on keeping the trailer.
We have been doing the same, looking at Class B's, for the same reasons you mentioned. Spent a lot of time at the recent Tampa RV Supershow looking at Interstates and the other multitude of Class B's that were there. I think we could live with all of the small space issues of the Class B's (to gain the advantages) except for one. The dreaded "wet bath". I don't have a problem with the size of the bathroom when using it as a bathroom, it's trying to take a shower in there that would be very difficult. Not to mention, the hassle of drying the bathroom after a shower (which, again, I could live with to gain the advantages). I just don't think the shower would work for my 6'4" frame. I hate using campground showers for all of the obvious reasons. Having a useable shower with me is right up there with having my own bed and bathroom with me, and a galley, as to why I love RVing. I think we will be staying with our AS 27FB trailer for this reason.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
...I just don't think the shower would work for my 6'4" frame. I hate using campground showers for all of the obvious reasons. Having a useable shower with me is right up there with having my own bed and bathroom with me, and a galley, as to why I love RVing. I think we will be staying with our AS 27FB trailer for this reason.
I’m only 6’1” and I’m constantly hitting my head so I’ve resorted to wearing a hat for a little extra noggin protection. I would be cautious about getting a class B if I were 3 inches taller.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Schoharie , Unknown
We looked at class B units and the cost was really a turn off for what you get, especially if it says AS on it. I would recommend keeping your trailer and looking at a conversion van as a TV and a day trip vehicle. You could add the conveniences you want much cheaper and have the flexiblity of having both on a trip. Of course if money is no object, buy a Prevost and tow a vehicle, lol... Good luck!!
EZTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Houston , Texas
Thumbs up you have a very balanced quote, you are right on the money.

Quote:

you are absolutely right, there is no such thing called perfect, you have to compromise on either type.
Top69dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Class B

I would never consider a Class B of any manufacturer that has a wet batg

We solved that issue we bought. Winnebago View model 24 V

And kept our 33 2018 classic airstream

We really use the Winnebago more than the Classic

We have HWH levelers and a loaded coach with thermopane windows and Truma instant recirculating hot water and a diesel generator.
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
My brother has a Class B. It's 36' with a big diesel engine. He likes it. But he also has to tow a vehicle for getting around. Pros and cons as I see it. The Interstates are really expensive and with all the moving parts of engine etc. depreciation has to be higher than on a trailer. But if a guy could get a used Interstate in decent shape I could see it for a quick trip camping excursion. Also it's not so big you could at least not have to tow a vehicle for driving around. To me it's more of a vehicle for traveling across country without necessarily staying in motels, etc. But I could not see spending a week or two at one spot.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
In don't see much difference between the Interstate and any other Class B, other than the AS badge. Quality (that is to say, fairly low quality) between the A, B, C is all about the same until you get to the million dollar level (Prevost, Newell).

I have been in some remarkably shoddy $500K diesel Class A machines.

That said, why not consider a Class C or A if the B or B+ is not quite roomy enough?

If you are willing to step outside your Shiny AS TRAILER, you are stepping into muck up to your ankle. Might as well step into muck up to your knees. (So to speak)
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have posted a couple of other threads on the "likes" and "dislikes" of Class B travel. We are contemplating changing from our trailer to a Class B in the next 2-4 years.

Thought I would take another angle on gathering information since the other threads have been SO helpful to me.

Have any of you moved from a trailer to a Class B and regretted it?

Chris
Great question! We are also wanting to move from our 28’ 2005 International to a Class B. Same struggle as others have mentioned. I’m just tired of the towing, unhooking and RE-hooking just to stay for a day or two on our way to somewhere else. I want to believe we can find something, AS or not, that can work for us. Thanks for the post. -John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Maybe you could consider a look into renting a class B for a couple of weeks and really live in it. We have a trailer but have rented Class A's and C's over the years for specific trips that both to just try them out and also due to requirements for that type of RV like sleeping capacity. For all-around camping trips through the year the trailer is our preferred generic solution but we sure see a lot of Class A's & C's and an increasing number of Class B's overall.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Who moved from trailer to Class B and is sorry?

With regard to getting around, we tow a crossover (Buick Envision AWD) behind our AI for that reason.
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We have friends who also did the reverse and are very happy-went from a beautiful class B of a different brand (lesisureway, I think) to a 23’ Serenity, both new purchases. They did it for the same reason we did—much more comfortable, especially for long trips, and much more flexible to park trailer as “cabin” and have separate vehicle to explore without having to maintain two motor vehicles..

When we’re traveling a distance, we find it rare that we are forced to unhook for an overnight, each night so that’s not been an issue for us. We so love our customized tow vehicle, with racks to hold all of our windsurfing toys, room to change, built in cooler to handle lunches for excursions, plenty of room to change or nap inside, great stereo, and an added fantastic fan to keep it all aired out while we do daily windsurf or sightseeing trips. We use a low roof, short (144”) wheelbase Sprinter 3500, and find it handles better and gets better mileage while being no larger than our 3/4 ton Suburban. Except In height, which makes it impossible to park in public underground lots when in city.

Other friends have also switched from Class B to trailer for the same reasons and been happy. One couple that we’ve known fir decades have been road warriors for years and have tried every conceivable combination, all the way up to million dollar A class. They’ve finally settled on a pickup truck and an 30’ Flying Cloud as their absolutely favorite combo ever!

If you do go B class, consider Leisureway with the small slide out bedroom over Airstream. Very inventive multifunctional design solutions, including a rear bath with full shower and gear wall cabinets that easily reconfigure for either inside or outside storage, depending upon your preferences. Instead of blinds on the rear bath window, a cabinet door opens to cover the window and “replace” it with a mirror, for example. Terrific use of a small space, puts Airstream Interstate to shame IMHO.

Good luck!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
. I’m just tired of the towing, unhooking and RE-hooking just to stay for a day or two on our way to somewhere else.
If you can find an appropriate spot for the night, is it ok to just not unhitch for the night? Or is there a reason this is a bad thing?
Old 02-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
We spent a week at Disneys Fort Wilderness and never unhooked.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
The wife and I are thinking about doing the same thing. We just started our search, not sure if we will go Class B or a small Class C.

We are looking hard at the Winnebago Fuse 23', comes with Ford diesel running gear, rated at 17 mpg.

She loves the 30' FC we have but it is a PITA to unhook and hook back up and once she retires in a year we want to travel and see things which means even more unhooking / re-hooking. She afraid to drive so I'm the lone mule behind the wheel which doesn't make vacationing fun for a long weekend.

Getting 8.5 to 9 mpg out of our Chevy 3/4 ton gas rig pulling the 30' FC is a bummer as well, it only gets 13 mpg when not towing.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote