Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Who knows the Fan ... worth Five Points ..

The lovely 2017 model and older ASI utilized an overhead exhaust fan which was very quiet (when closed and zipping down the highway).

Then in 2018 AS switched to a different fan, and I think (i think) built a little vertical chimney for it....I may be mistaken but I think the 2018 and newer fans sit proud of the roof vs flush. Image below is a 2018 ASI Lounge.

What are my questions?

1. What model number and brand were the quietly sealed 2017 fans?

2. Will they fit on the 2018+ ASI vans?

3. Is it my imagination Pete, or Wach or others ... did the 2018+ van fans end up sitting proud to the horizontal roof surface?

What's my mission?

1. To reduce cockpit noise and be able to successfully use phone bluetooth once again.

Right now, we've duct taped our fan from the exterior roof, rendering it non-functional, but very quiet. It would be nice to circulate some air this summer utilizing the overhead fan ... but then the cockpit noise is too obtrusive (today's word) for me.

That's today's quiz!

Thanks in advance for your informed help

iirc... AS Corp. switched to the same fan as their trailer supplier (Dometic?) and ignored the increased noise but loved the extra profit margin from the switch. This was their value engineering team at work iirc. But I may be mistaken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	395663  
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
My 2013 Interstate has the MAXX-AIR Deluxe fan like seen in this link.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...00-06401K.html

They have several versions on this fan with built in rain shield. I think it is the best roof vent fan on the market. I’ve left mine open during severe thunderstorm rain down pours with not a drop leaking inside.

In 2018 Airstream switched to the cheaper Fan-Tastic fan that I don’t like at all.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an.../FV801208.html
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
You will probably think I’m a little off base on this one. I bought a cover that Hein sells on eBay for our fan. It’s held on by magnets you glue to the inside of the plastic fan housing.

It’s a touch expensive in my opinion for a square piece of fabric and a couple magnets, in my opinion. Quite honestly though, it’s probably been one of the best purchases I’ve made for our Interstate.

Our fan would squeak like there was no other at times as we went down the road. I could not figure out what to do to isolate the noise, or what to put between what pieces of plastic to eliminate the sound. At first, I tried to ignore the squeaking when it would rear it’s ugly head, but as time went on, I just couldn’t handle it anymore.

I think Hein saw my post and recommended the cover. We’ve had it on for a few trips now and my significant other just commented at how you can’t hear a thing from that fan any longer. I’d never think a cover would work to eliminate squeaks like that, but I’d recommend it all day long. Not sure if it’s the answer you’re looking for, but if it helps, it’s solved our issue and we can still use our fan when needed.

You can find it on eBay or on his website as follows:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132946231471

https://diyvan.com/collections/roof-vent-adapters
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had the Maxx-Air fan in my 2014.5 and loved it. I would more than happily go back to the Maxx-Air fan in my 2018. It would require some wiring because the touch panel would not interface with it. That would be OK with me because the touch panel is a pain ... it is just as simple to operate the fan directly. If I were not nearing the end of my RVing life, I would change over to the Maxx-Air in a moment.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I had the Maxx-Air fan in my 2014.5 and loved it. I would more than happily go back to the Maxx-Air fan in my 2018. It would require some wiring because the touch panel would not interface with it. That would be OK with me because the touch panel is a pain ... it is just as simple to operate the fan directly. If I were not nearing the end of my RVing life, I would change over to the Maxx-Air in a moment.

Thanks to all for your feedback - super helpful.

Box - I appreciate the link.

I’m hoping it’s my imagination ... there’s no raised chimney and the Max is a plug-n-play

I’ve ordered it, having it express ship to my Scottsdale AZ dealer for my upcoming service appointment

Thankful for the advice ... especially Alex for the PM advice on the other subject yesterday [emoji38]
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
You will probably think I’m a little off base on this one. I bought a cover that Hein sells on eBay for our fan. It’s held on by magnets you glue to the inside of the plastic fan housing.

It’s a touch expensive in my opinion for a square piece of fabric and a couple magnets, in my opinion. Quite honestly though, it’s probably been one of the best purchases I’ve made for our Interstate.

Our fan would squeak like there was no other at times as we went down the road. I could not figure out what to do to isolate the noise, or what to put between what pieces of plastic to eliminate the sound. At first, I tried to ignore the squeaking when it would rear it’s ugly head, but as time went on, I just couldn’t handle it anymore.

I think Hein saw my post and recommended the cover. We’ve had it on for a few trips now and my significant other just commented at how you can’t hear a thing from that fan any longer. I’d never think a cover would work to eliminate squeaks like that, but I’d recommend it all day long. Not sure if it’s the answer you’re looking for, but if it helps, it’s solved our issue and we can still use our fan when needed.

You can find it on eBay or on his website as follows:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132946231471

https://diyvan.com/collections/roof-vent-adapters

I too am a fan of Maxxfan for the "open when raining" reason already mentioned. But Hawks suggestion seems to be the easiest way to quiet it while driving, plus adds a bit of heat/cold insulation as well as draft sealing.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I took the cover off yesterday to let some air in for our dogs. Forgot to put it back on for the trip back home. Regretted that in about 10 seconds. It’s really amazing how much sound it deadens.

Our 2014.5 doesn’t have a Maxx-air fan, I don’t think. Seems like they threw some odd things in once in a while like they just grab whatever was sitting in their parts department at the moment.

I’d think about switching it out but feel like either I’ve upgraded or have it on the radar to do so much already. I’m not saying anyone else shouldn’t, but I might have to stop trying to fix everything that should have come a bit more upgraded from the start.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote