Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Kaneohe , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Driveshaft center bearing, trust me. Jim
Quick question on this one, since the noise happens at certain RPMs and does not seem to be connected to speed, you still think its a driveshaft bearing? Where is the center bearing located?
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripple View Post
Quick question on this one, since the noise happens at certain RPMs and does not seem to be connected to speed, you still think its a driveshaft bearing? Where is the center bearing located?
In the center between the two shafts....but it's hard to believe they'd overlook it.
The noise would definitely change with speed variations.
Most of the failures I've dealt with have been with the rubber bearing carrier and not the bearing itself, bang, bang, bang as the shaft rotates, especially on starts and under load, as opposed to a roar sound if the bearing itself has failed.

Bob
Old 05-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
RRR
2012 Avenue Suite

2012 Avenue Coach
SPRINGFIELD , Missouri
I never noticed duals on Interstate. As for the Groaning/grinding; My Avenue brakes did that when I first got it. After a few miles of no change, I took it out and did a typical "brake drying"(like one does after driving through a large amount of water; only while dry this time) a few times for a few seconds each time while consistant pressure, while still accelerated at a moderate speed evenly, and that stopped mine. Sometimes the rotors just need a "dusting" and a glaze reduction. I also anticipate a stop so as to avoid hard braking with the amount of weight on a downhill while braking enough to avoid glazing.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Kaneohe , Hawaii
Ok, so I picked her up after 2 weeks in the shop and still have the noise. Was told its normal so I said let me take that brand new Interstate over there for a spin and if it makes the noise, I'll be convinced it is normal. Wouldn't you know it, without even leaving the parking lot I could hear the whirring noise already and when we came to a stop in the parking lot, the same grinding from the drivetrain.

I am surprised with these 2 rigs doing the same thing, no one else has this problem. Drove from Atlanta north through the hills of West Virginia and man is that noise annoying. I guess I will deal with the cards that I'm dealt.

Still need to look into driveshaft probs but I'm not sure it's the problem because its related to rpm. Makes noise from 2 to 80 mph only at certain rpms. It really sounds like a resonant sound more than anything else.
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
I have the same problem...at speeds when the transmission drops from drive to the next lower gear and about 2700 rpm, there is a loud noise coming from the rear differential. It happens as long as you stay at the speed and rpm. It also happens briefly when initial moving but the gear change stops it.... I also have fluid/grease/brake fluid?? coming from the driver side rear dual...it streaks the rear dual....RMB in Atlanta is working on the second problem right now....don't know about the noise problem yet...
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripple View Post
because its related to rpm. Makes noise from 2 to 80 mph only at certain rpms. It really sounds like a resonant sound more than anything else.
Hi, if the noise is RPM related, then you can stop at the engine, and anything rotating with the engine at engine speed. Stopping at the torque converter. Also RPM related are noises caused by engine vibrations.

If speed related, I would say it's from the driveshaft back to differential or tires.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
The noise is definitely coming from the rear differential or rear end as I put my ear to the floor during the downshift and the loudest noise is over the rear diff. RBM is telling me to go to the Merc dealer in Montgomery to see what the fluid leak at the rear hub is...in the first month of ownership, I've had several problems...awning failed, propane regulator failed, bathroom vent not sealed allowing interior leakage and to top it off Bates RV won't call me back to tell me where the title application is I can register the vehicle which is now out of time for dealer tags....????????!!!!!!!!!! Do I wish I could do this again...you bet!!!!!
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 05-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Waldorf , Maryland
That is so frustrating! Our dealer did that to us too...there was some little form that they neglected to tell us we needed before we could get our license plates. Luckily, they were able to email us extended temporary tags, and we got it worked out....but if I hadn't called....
Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
[QUOTE=hamiltonmj;1306574]and to top it off Bates RV won't call me back to tell me where the title application is I can register the vehicle which is now out of time for dealer tags....QUOTE]

For future reference, there is no legal requirement that the dealer obtain your license plate for you. You can do it yourself. When I bought my Interstate, it was an out-of-state purchase, and I told the dealer I would go down to the DMV myself with all the necessary paperwork to get my own plate. They gave me the paperwork, deleted the "tax, title, and license" fee from the invoice, and everything was jake. I went to the Louisiana DMV the same day, straight from the dealer in Mississippi, and had my license plate in hand, ready to install, the same day I did my purchase.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Agree but when you buy a $100,000+ vehicle and if you didn't volunteer to do anything yourself to get the title, wouldn't you expect things to be done for you to make you a happy customer? In my case, my Interstate is out of registration and although I have left two phone messages and an email to Bates RV for a particular person, I haven't been called or emailed back to assist me in getting my issues resolved. Wouldn't you be aggravated? Or would you just roll over?
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonmj View Post
Agree but when you buy a $100,000+ vehicle and if you didn't volunteer to do anything yourself to get the title, wouldn't you expect things to be done for you to make you a happy customer? In my case, my Interstate is out of registration and although I have left two phone messages and an email to Bates RV for a particular person, I haven't been called or emailed back to assist me in getting my issues resolved. Wouldn't you be aggravated? Or would you just roll over?
I'd be aggravated. In fact, my aggravation with the same sort of run-around on a previous vehicle purchase, way back in 1986, is what led me to always go to the DMV myself to get the license plate rather than waiting on the dealer to do it for me. No matter what the value of the vehicle, no matter what state the dealer is located in. When I had my fill of the run-around and told that particular dealer, "Never again!" I meant never again. It's worth half a day of standing in line at the DMV to avoid two to three months of wondering why the heck I don't have my license plate yet.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
I'll take your advice next time...finally got my title in the mail from Bates RV. No one ever returned my 3 phone calls and email...now to drive and fix the issues.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)