Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Where to get smog check done in San Diego?

I need to get the Interstate smog checked for registration renewal. Any recommendations on where to take it?

We keep it stored in Spring Valley, so someplace near La Mesa or El Cajon would be great.

thx
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Where do you get your other vehicle(s) smog checked? Can dealers do it or do they have special stations that do it?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
My car is 5 years old and it's never had to be smogged. I'm assuming the AI needs to be done 'cause it's a diesel.

Cars are done at smog stations, but, most of those wouldn't be able to fit the AI because of the height.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
You might find a shop in Spring Valley or see PM for who I use in Santee.

I am assuming they just plug their machine into the OBD port like all the other vehicles so if their cables are long enought will just roll their machine outside.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Thanks Ron. Got your pm.

I'm assuming same, about them just plugging it in. I'll call around....
Old 09-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
If you were willing to drive to Fallbrook I know a shop that is GOOD, and Fast, and Cheap. Since I found them four years ago I have gone back two more times. They put up a coupon on their website and you only need to show it too them when you check in. I yelped them the first time I went and I was their first yelp reviewer so if you go tell them that Pamela, their first yelp reviewer sent you. They can smog your vehicle inside, OR outside if it's too big.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/main-street-...er-fallbrook-4

And here is the website for the coupon, the price has gone up a dollar since I was last there, it's $36.75 (w/coupon) + $8.25 for the Certificate. 1999 and older vehicles add $10.

http://www.smogcheckfallbrook.com/smog-coupon/
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
weirdstuff, since we are both San Diegans I sent you a friend request, when I did they asked this:

"Are you sure you want to add weirdstuff to your contacts?" ROFL!!!
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
I had my INTERSTATE smogged at ASAP in Imperial Beach ,it is a STAR smog station, which was required by DMV because of the Diesel engine. There is a $10.00 coupon on line for a discount. Check with DMV to see if you have to go to their special stations or if those that have done VW diesels are OK. (just joking). AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Howdy, friends.

Just got back from smog check. Went to a place in Spring Valley, near our storage. We did NOT have to go to a STAR station.

Vehicle FAILED inspection. But, not because there's anything wrong with it. It failed because of some computer software glitch, and the smog station equipment could not detect 3 of our 4 sensors. (or was it 2 of 3?)

I was shocked. Now, for more of a shock. The smog station guy, AND the guy at the Mercedes sprinter service dept told us this: due to the new smog testing procedure in CA, many vehicles are having the same problem.

Mercedes guy told us to drive 200 miles and then immediately have the smog test done. WTF???

So we go drive 80 miles, and come back. (no time to drive 200 miles). Smog test guy hooks us back up, and his equipment still can't connect to our system.

WTF???!!! I'm finding this hard to believe. I'm on line now, researching.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Find a friend in the county - you don't need a smog check depending on your zip code (population density) . Register you vehicle using his address. Works!
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
Find a friend in the county - you don't need a smog check depending on your zip code (population density) . Register you vehicle using his address. Works!
Wish I could. But, that's not gonna happen.

Was just researching this issue and seems it's quite common.

Others are reporting having to drive huge amounts of miles.

Some people are telling you to do this reset procedure which involves turning a/c and rear defroster on and off, and driving at 55mph, then coasting down to 20mph without braking, and then repeating that sequence.

This reset procedure that is being referenced, seems quite dangerous, and fankly, I'm getting really pissed off about this whole thing.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
And I just found another site that had a reset procedure that involved 15 different steps. Drive at 30mph for 3 minutes, then 40mph for 3 minutes, etc., etc.. It included various speeds, times, and decelerations, as well as turning engine on and off.

Starting to feel like this is a bad joke and someone is filming me.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
That is crazy. I would try another smog guy and see if same result.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
It is not a reset procedure,the MONITORS must be complete.There are self test in the engine controller that must run to confirm the emission controls are functioning as designed.The test take certain conditions to be met for them to run/test.These conditions can be very specific as to engine temp,road speed,accel/decel over time etc.FCA has a tsb describing the drive cycle required for each monitor to run on the Cummins.It is very time consuming and will take some miles.
California just stiffened up the requirements on how many must pass to receive a pass on the smog test last May.
If the Sprinter is known to have issues running all the monitors it may be worthwhile to make an appointment with a referee station
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
That is crazy. I would try another smog guy and see if same result.
Yes, we were thinking the same thing. But, apparently, this is not uncommon. Crazy s***. But yes, we will try a different station next time.

Gonna call Mercedes tomorrow and raise a fuss. Don't have time for this BS.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
In the good old days, you could take a case of PBR to a shop in Kennsington and get a certificate. Another great idea was to buy a Mercedes Benz TDI station wagon with the 5 cylinder turbo diesel that usually went south with fewer than 20,000 miles and drop in a SBC and 400 transmission. No smog checks until CARB caught wind of that scam.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Don't know why, all of my things turn into long drawn out sagas.....

I just talked to the Smog Referee...they told me I shouldn't need a smog test, and that it was probably a mistake on my registration renewal.

Now I will spend the rest of my day trying to reach the DMV on the phone!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
We recently had a similar experience: Our 14 year old 2001 Toyota Camry Solara needed a smog check for DMV registration renewal last August. We took it to our favorite smog station, College Smog Check, and for the first time, the test could not be completed because the car's computer showed the "OBDII monitors not ready!" We then took the Toyota to our local Toyota dealer/service department and they could not complete the test either and told us to drive the car for 60 miles & return. We did and they got the same results. This was repeated over the next several days with the same results after another 40 miles and then another 330 miles!

Toyota suggested that I could take it to the DMV Referee, but I asked them to do the specified "Drive cycle Procedure." They did and the test was able to be successfully completed and I promptly drove the vehicle back to College Smog Check for their "free re-check within 30 days test", and our Toyota passed!

Toyota charged me $330!

What I learned: When we take our Toyota for its next Smog Check, I will drive it that day in varying traffic conditions including freeway and city just before pulling into the smog check station. If the test is unable to be completed with monitors showing "Not Ready", I will then take our Toyota's service history and the smog station paperwork to a California State Referee Program Center, which provides "assistance to consumers whose vehicles have OBD II [Emission Control Systems] related issues."

Good luck!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post

I just talked to the Smog Referee...they told me I shouldn't need a smog test, and that it was probably a mistake on my registration renewal.

Now I will spend the rest of my day trying to reach the DMV on the phone!
Hope you got the Smog Referee's opinion in writing to take with to DMV or it may take several days.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
In the good old days, you could take a case of PBR to a shop in Kennsington and get a certificate. Another great idea was to buy a Mercedes Benz TDI station wagon with the 5 cylinder turbo diesel that usually went south with fewer than 20,000 miles and drop in a SBC and 400 transmission. No smog checks until CARB caught wind of that scam.
I'm not sure what kind of maintenance your acquaintances did, but I think you're missing a zero on the average life of that old inline-5 turbodiesel in Mercedes wagons and sedans. There are a couple still smoking along that I see regularly near my home, and my mom put about 350,000 miles on one. Perhaps people just got tired of waiting for 60 mph to come up and put in that 350...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote