Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #41
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
What's the Interstate like to actually drive?

Great post everyone. We love our Pete, a Flying Cloud 27fb twin, but dream of an AI or similar someday in addition for the type of on the go travel discussed here.....
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
A dream drive

It’s a joy to drive. How can it not be with all the conveniences? Three cameras. Lane departure monitor. Blind spot protection. Rain sensitive windshield. Distance warning. You won’t be disappointed. Wish we didn’t have to sell ours but we’ve aged out of it.
wkk5dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I'm loving all of the insights into the AI driving experience.

While recognizing that the available living space, or lack thereof, will ultimately determine whether an AI is going to work for us, the comments regarding power and drivability get to the heart of my original question.

This is rhetorical, but I wonder why Mercedes doesn't offer a more powerful engine in the Sprinter? In the UK, the E-Class Wagon is available with a V6 3.0L turbo diesel which puts out 254HP and 457lb/ft of torque. Wouldn't that be a nice upgrade for the AI! Even my neighbor's ML250 SUV with a 2.5L 4cyl turbo diesel makes 200HP and 369lb/ft of torque which still compares favorably to the Sprinter's 188/325.

Oh well. Wishful thinking, I guess.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Short people

Tobbun-

My wife is short also - only 4’12”. We built her a footrest out of a block of wood. It is about 4” on one side and 6” on the other so she can rotate it to the most comfortable height. According to her it’s makes all the difference in the world.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Regarding the comments about performance in crosswinds, I just read an article on the new 2019 Mercedes Sprinter which mentioned that it is equipped with a feature called Crosswind Assist which supposedly has been included in all Sprinter vans since 2016. It is designed to selectively apply the brakes at individual wheels to stabilize the vehicle in crosswinds.

So I did a little googling and found this:

Daimler Vans USA is recalling 2,177 2017 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 and Freightliner Sprinter 3500 vans equipped with the Crosswind Assist function, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

During strong crosswinds, the vehicle dynamics control system might fail to activate automatic brake interventions, NHTSA said. If the Crosswind Assist function doesn’t trigger the automatic braking system as expected, the risk of a crash increases.
Crosswind Assist operates through the sensors of the van’s electronic stability program. To fix the problem, dealers will update the ESP control unit with corrected software. There will be no charge for this service.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/143...osswind-assist

All of which begs some questions:

1. Is the Crosswind Assist feature included on the AI Sprinter van?
2. Has anyone ever seen the Crosswind Assist indicator in the pic below displayed in your instrument cluster?
3. If you're experiencing difficulty in crosswinds might there be a fault in the system per the above recall?
4. Has anyone received a recall notice about this?
5. Perhaps the system, even when functioning, isn't very effective?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crosswind assist.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	324373  

Old 10-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #46
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
This is rhetorical, but I wonder why Mercedes doesn't offer a more powerful engine in the Sprinter? In the UK, the E-Class Wagon is available with a V6 3.0L turbo diesel which puts out 254HP and 457lb/ft of torque. Wouldn't that be a nice upgrade for the AI! Even my neighbor's ML250 SUV with a 2.5L 4cyl turbo diesel makes 200HP and 369lb/ft of torque which still compares favorably to the Sprinter's 188/325.

Oh well. Wishful thinking, I guess.
Because of the duty cycle. Engines in truck applications are expected to spend a higher percentage of their time at higher engine loads relative to passenger car engines.

Which is why the Ford Transit 3.2 litre diesel has 185 hp, similar to the Mercedes.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Because of the duty cycle. Engines in truck applications are expected to spend a higher percentage of their time at higher engine loads relative to passenger car engines.

Which is why the Ford Transit 3.2 litre diesel has 185 hp, similar to the Mercedes.
Thank you. That makes sense.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:31 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
[QUOTE=Alex AVI;2163950]TAOS BRUCE - We frequent LV I-15 thru Moab, UT then I-70 to Grand Junction to Breckenridge, Denver a lot. Have been hit by big crosswinds. Scary stuff even for someone like me/you who live in windy high desert areas.

We made the trip from Moab to Denver on I-70 then up to Estes Park and must have gotten lucky with no wind on that day. Leaving Colorado going across Kansas was a different story. Two days of "high wind warnings" was a little nerve racking never knowing when you were going to be blown around on a two lane road full of cattle trucks and tractor trailers.
I think there is a tendency to jerk the wheel on a suprise wind gust. I adjusted by expecting it to happen and gently steering into the wind. A stiffer shock would be good in those conditions but I have no air suspension and it would make the normal ride worse overall.
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Newburgh , Indiana
It's the best

Quote:
I ask the question because as much as my wife and I enjoy the comfort and room of a travel trailer, it's also appealing to think of being able to travel without the inconveniences of hooking up and hauling one around. As time goes on and we gracefully age further, I suspect that appeal may increase.

There are lots of threads here about the Interstate's features and issues but aside from a post here and there I couldn't find much about the actual driving experience. What's it like to drive a 4 1/2 ton vehicle that's motivated by 188 HP? My truck and trailer together weigh around 8 tons but my F250's 6.7L turbo diesel has the horsepower and torque to move things along quite well when necessary.

I really want to like the Interstate and at some point I'll just have to try one out, but it's difficult to get a feel for real world performance during a 20 minute test drive. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who'd like to share their thoughts on the subject so that I can either stop thinking about this as an option or move on to the next stage of planning for a future acquisition!
You will find it's a breeze to drive. Some caution around tight corners, but otherwise no different from a large SUV. Sweet spot for the best fuel mileage is between 65-70mph, but it's very stable and comfortable right up to the governed limit of 85 mph. Has plenty of torque to handle any reasonable climb, and and is maneuverable enough for tight switchbacks and "adventure roads"; i.e. Going to the Sun Highway, etc.
stast01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Quote:
Regarding the comments about performance in crosswinds, I just read an article on the new 2019 Mercedes Sprinter which mentioned that it is equipped with a feature called Crosswind Assist which supposedly has been included in all Sprinter vans since 2016. It is designed to selectively apply the brakes at individual wheels to stabilize the vehicle in crosswinds.

So I did a little googling and found this:

Daimler Vans USA is recalling 2,177 2017 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 and Freightliner Sprinter 3500 vans equipped with the Crosswind Assist function, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

During strong crosswinds, the vehicle dynamics control system might fail to activate automatic brake interventions, NHTSA said. If the Crosswind Assist function doesn’t trigger the automatic braking system as expected, the risk of a crash increases.
Crosswind Assist operates through the sensors of the van’s electronic stability program. To fix the problem, dealers will update the ESP control unit with corrected software. There will be no charge for this service.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/143...osswind-assist

All of which begs some questions:

1. Is the Crosswind Assist feature included on the AI Sprinter van?
2. Has anyone ever seen the Crosswind Assist indicator in the pic below displayed in your instrument cluster?
3. If you're experiencing difficulty in crosswinds might there be a fault in the system per the above recall?
4. Has anyone received a recall notice about this?
5. Perhaps the system, even when functioning, isn't very effective?
---
Per my 2017 AI (2016 Sprinter Chassis) Sprinter Operator's Manual, the Crosswind Assist feature is described on page 56 which implies to me that the feature is indeed installed on my 2016 chassis. Among other things, it states, "... indicator lamp in the instrument cluster panel flashes and the message 'Crosswind Assist Active' appears in the multifunction display. Crosswind Assist is active above a vehicle speed of 50mph when the vehicle is driving straight ahead or cornering gently.'

I also checked to see if a recall campaign was active on my Sprinter and the response was that there are currently no recall campaigns underway for my VIN number. The website to check is: https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owners-resources/recall

Thx.
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Arroyo Seco , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
TAOS BRUCE - We frequent LV I-15 thru Moab, UT then I-70 to Grand Junction to Breckenridge, Denver a lot. Have been hit by big crosswinds. Scary stuff even for someone like me/you who live in windy high desert areas. Your advise is wise. I do not have 4x4 but caught your reference to better tires. I am a big fan of Yokohama tires on my performance cars. I have no experience with the type of truck tires used in AI. Are you able to post some pics, close up and big pic angle of how the Yokos look on an AI. It's one thing to see it on Tire Rack website, but another to actually see in live AI. And would you recommend the ride even for a non-4x4 AI since they normally already come with road tires, not as aggressive as the 4x4 tires?
Not really sure how to post pics on this forum but can do so on the Interstate Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/AirstreamInterstate/ if you're interested. They look great. You might also want to check out a site https://sprinterupgrades.com/ that has a number of suspension upgrades that improve handling. That's where I got the Fox shocks and sumo springs. The guy who owns the place is very knowledgeable about what works with various rig models/years and is worth speaking to.
Taos Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
I failed to list one other important issue which others have identified - i.e., the negative impact on driveability in high cross-winds. My previous rig - a 2008 Adventurous RS (also on a Sprinter chassis) - was much more impacted with cross-winds than my current 2017 AI (2016 chassis). I've verified that my AI has the Cross Wind Assist feature which apparently my Roadtrek didn't so I'm assuming that this feature does indeed help. But even with the feature, it still requires some 'getting used to' in high cross-winds.
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are driving trucks, after all, and their high profile means they will catch more wind.

If I encounter high winds, I get off the road.

Maggie
Old 10-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob323 View Post
---
Per my 2017 AI (2016 Sprinter Chassis) Sprinter Operator's Manual, the Crosswind Assist feature is described on page 56 which implies to me that the feature is indeed installed on my 2016 chassis. Among other things, it states, "... indicator lamp in the instrument cluster panel flashes and the message 'Crosswind Assist Active' appears in the multifunction display. Crosswind Assist is active above a vehicle speed of 50mph when the vehicle is driving straight ahead or cornering gently.'

I also checked to see if a recall campaign was active on my Sprinter and the response was that there are currently no recall campaigns underway for my VIN number. The website to check is: https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owners-resources/recall

Thx.
Good to know. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #55
DudleyD

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Victor , Idaho
Great to driver but definitely noisy. We owe a 2018 and put 11k miles on this summer. If you like you wife and enjoy conversation with her, and are a senior very difficult to travel long distances in and lots of hours at a time.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

DeLand , Florida
I am a woman in her 70’s with a 2015 Interstate and I find it a joy to drive. I have been in High winds out west and it behaved pretty good. Love my AI.
Suziqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurossjr View Post
Great to driver but definitely noisy. We owe a 2018 and put 11k miles on this summer. If you like you wife and enjoy conversation with her, and are a senior very difficult to travel long distances in and lots of hours at a time.

Appreciate the feedback. Do others feel the AI is annoyingly noisy or uncomfortable on long drives?

Old 10-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #58
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Appreciate the feedback. Do others feel the AI is annoyingly noisy or uncomfortable on long drives?

Ours is certainly not quiet. There is a thread on Air Forums discussing sound dampening - maybe two or three threads.

We don’t have a problem holding a conversation but it’s not as quiet as a luxury automobile.

On our 2010 the seats seem like they would not be comfortable but the opposite is true. We’ve been on the road numerous times for 10+ hours and find them quite satisfactory. Newer or older models may be different.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
Tobbun-

My wife is short also - only 4’12”. We built her a footrest out of a block of wood. It is about 4” on one side and 6” on the other so she can rotate it to the most comfortable height. According to her it’s makes all the difference in the world.

Thank you. Might have to do that as well.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:

We’ve owned 6 units since the launch of the 2014.5 model.

I believe the 2018, and 2019 units are, by a factor of 10, the loudest. Ok maybe not “10” but definitely louder. I believe it’s a function of the new fan installed by AS.
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote