Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I keep dirty clothes in a laundry bag in the bathroom, anchoring it with a suction hook, and moving it to a front seat if we are parked for any length of time.

I use that oddly shaped space under the sink for a couple of soft plastic totes that hold cleaning products.....a bottle of pinesol, liquid soap refill, windex wipes, leather cleaner, etc. A soft canvas or mesh laundry bag would probably fit in there, as well.

Soft, lightweight items such as extra paper products sit on top of those, when needed, but there is still a lot of wasted vertical space in that area. I wonder if angles are so large to allow access to the various valves, the pump, etc., under there?

Maggie
Old 12-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
The sorry level of workmanship of Thor-built RVs (whether branded Airstream or otherwise) has been discussed here many times. In fairness, it is probably no worse than average in the RV industry at large, but the Interstate is positioned as a premium product with a premium brand name, and a premium price. I couldn't agree more that they need to up their game so that the quality of execution matches that of the often-brilliant designs.

Frankly, it is this issue more than any other that drove me away from Airstream with we updated our van. When we were shopping last year, a quick glance at the Interstates shown at Hershey confirmed that things haven't gotten any better since 2005. You just need to know where to look to make this obvious. As I have said before, I am proud of the quality of the Interstate that we passed on to its next owner, but the credit for most of this quality came from the sweat of my brow, not from Airstream.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I keep dirty clothes in a laundry bag in the bathroom, anchoring it with a suction hook, and moving it to a front seat if we are parked for any length of time. ...

Maggie
Even in a short period of ownership, I have driven my own self batty with the sheer amount of rummaging I do in our Interstate. To the extent reasonably achievable, it is my intention to set up systems whereby I put my hand on something and access it in one motion. No moving stuff from place to place for lack of an assigned position. No balancing stuff on top of other stuff as I reach for still more stuff. I rummage and rummage and it doesn't seem like a big deal at the time, but then I notice that an hour has been consumed by all this inefficient motion, and I should have gotten back on the road an hour ago. My Dad tells me that I often seem to be in a rush. I reply that I'm not retired. I'm not an empty-nester yet. Our whole lives are necessarily all about timing (she said, as she blitzed through a forum post on her lunch break).

Laundry is a big deal for us and needs a permanent home. We mostly travel in the summer and do a lot of intensive outdoor activities. We are talking about epic filth and stench associated with dirty laundry, which usually accumulates for a week at a time. In a small space in summer heat. While traveling by air, we sometimes resort to dedicating one suitcase to dirty laundry - keep that sucker zipped up tight. But the Interstate has no room for suitcases. I have to devise another method.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm.....sweaty summer or workout clothes are the worst. I hate the smell of dirty laundry.

When traveling/camping in hot weather, I try to do a couple of loads mid-week, which cuts down on that funky odor that wants to permeate everything

I'm still thinking that area you dislike under the sink might be a good place for a canvas bag for laundry. Put a little stick-on deodorizer in there if you need to.

Beneath a rear bench is also an option, as we have two largish areas back there.

Measure it out and find a lidded Rubbermaid that fits, to use for laundry you can seal up, if that's what you need to do. I would rather mine breathe a bit, lest I be overwhelmed by the fumes when opening up.

A nylon duffel bag might also work for laundry. Anythng that stuffs rather than has rigid sides often does better.

In a living space as small as the Interstate, you may need to curb your motion-space-efficiency drive, just to maintain your sanity. (Was it Cheaper by the Dozen where the Dad was an efficiency expert?)

Or, you may get it all worked out exactly to your satisfaction.

Just don't stress yourself out. It's supposed to be fun, and some allowances for less efficiency in the small space you are living in may be needed.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
We have one of these.. I put all our outdoor stuff laundry etc in it....No stinky in the coach 😁

www.stowaway2.com/
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:45 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

Pop up like the sportsmobile for additional bed ( I know, they can't but it would be nice. And lower profile.
Side couch that turns into bed
Kitchen in rear parallel to back doors
A less cabinetry option for more open space
Glamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:16 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Boxter1971:
Would you mind describing (or posting a picture) of your 400W solar layout. I was set to add two 100 W GS 100 panels from AM Solar only to find the GS 100 are no longer available. So I am back to the drawing board. I was going to put the two new panels behind the AC and have them feed down through a combiner box also located rear of the AC. That new 8 gauge wire would meet the wires from the existing 50W panel at a new Blue Sky Energy 2512ix-HV. With the smaller GS 100's no longer available I am back to looking at other options. Thanks for your help on this issue - and for all your other contributions to the forum.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
What would you change on the Interstate?

A more comfortable jack knife bed.... It is too lumpy at the hinges and where it joins the chairs.

A hinged side door... It is really hard to close the slider when you are not strong.

Larger Bathroom and kitchen in the back.

A slide out.

Better window insulation or delete a window? (I had to add reflectix to keep it cool)

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #89
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
A more comfortable jack knife bed.... It is too lumpy at the hinges and where it joins the chairs.
I just posted this on another thread, but I simply removed the upholstered boards on the sides of the side-facing seats; they are the lumpiest part of the bed. The bed is much more comfortable with the boards gone, and I have never even felt the metal jackknife hardware when the bed was made into a bed; the metal doesn't stick up half as far as the boards. I do have to be a bit more careful of the exposed metal while using the side-facing seats as seats, but that's a minor trade-off for a better night's sleep. And even then, a short piece of foam pipe insulation— or a piece of pool noodle slit lengthwise— covers the exposed metal well enough until I'm ready to turn the seats into a bed.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
What would you change on the Interstate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post

A hinged side door... It is really hard to close the slider when you are not strong.

Larger Bathroom and kitchen in the back.

A slide out.

Better window insulation or delete a window? (I had to add reflectix to keep it cool)

Take a look at the LeisureVans Free Spirit SS or the Winnebago Era 70C, both have slides and large bathrooms.
But you'll lose the ability to camp discretely in town and other places with a slide.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
On my 06/07 AI the switches for the floor, overhead and porch lights are all at floor level. I would prefer they be mounted higher up on the side of the cabinet. I would also prefer the closet door be hinged on the opposite side so it would be more easily accessible when the bed is made up. I love my Interstate and, like my house, I do constant maintenance. As too build quality and eye for detail, Thor Industries should be ashamed of themselves for besmerching Wally's good name.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Boxter1971:
Would you mind describing (or posting a picture) of your 400W solar layout. I was set to add two 100 W GS 100 panels from AM Solar only to find the GS 100 are no longer available. So I am back to the drawing board. I was going to put the two new panels behind the AC and have them feed down through a combiner box also located rear of the AC. That new 8 gauge wire would meet the wires from the existing 50W panel at a new Blue Sky Energy 2512ix-HV. With the smaller GS 100's no longer available I am back to looking at other options. Thanks for your help on this issue - and for all your other contributions to the forum.
I'm traveling at the moment so I don't have pictures handy. I have payed them before on this forum. My setup required two special mods. To get two panels in front of the AC unit I had to reverse the MaxAir fan. Easy to do but then you can't leave it open when driving. I used RhinoRack top carries attacked to the roof C channels that came on my Interstate to mount all panels about 4 inches above the roof. I did that to clear the bathroom vent fan and replaced one of the original tank vents with a lower profile version.
In the rear I relocated the TV antenna to the top of the AC cover. All four panels are combined in a junction box I got from AM Solar and the wire drop is through the cabinet at rear of the bath.
Those GS-100 panels are identical to the same size sold under the name Grape Solar. They were available from Home Depot. You might check with them to see if they are still available.
I'll post some photos when I get home next week.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote