Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
What changes from 2013 to 2014.5 on the Airstream Interstate Lounge

I was dealing on a 2014.5 and was unable to get a deal done. Now looking at a 2013. Can anyone comment on the changes made from 13 to 14.5 model year.
Thanks
Mert Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Full suite of driving aids including lane assist and forward collision warning.

It would be helpful if owners of the 2104.5 and newer models would comment on the desireability of these features.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The Mercedes 2014 lane assist works great, but there are occasional false alarms due to irregularities in the pavement or ghost lines from previous lane changes. Not enough false alarms to bother me. I'm glad it is there.

Forward and rear parking sensors really work great. There are some lights up by the windshield that indicate the proximity. I have to stretch a bit and move my GPS out of the way to see the lights. I have made good use of them turning in my tight driveway and in parking at my daughter's house in a tight spot. Warning, the blind spot detection and rear sensors turn off when a trailer connector is inserted.

The blind spot detection is very good. The triangles in the mirrors turn red at lower speeds and when a trailer connector is inserted.

On the inside, I have found some slight differences in the galley construction.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The OP is looking at a 2013.

Maggie
Old 02-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We have a 2013 AI on a 2012 MB chassis and it has the Parktronic sensors, so that is not a difference between the two MY's he asks about.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Thanks. All great info.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
We have a 2014.5 . Blind spot and proximity sensors very good. I hate, hate, hate the lane sensor....it gets turned off immediately when the engine is started. The problem is that all these sensors use the same alarm sound. So I’m frantically looking around to figure out what caused the danged beep. Decided that was more dangerous than drifting slightly over the lane line.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Newburgh , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mert Brown View Post
I was dealing on a 2014.5 and was unable to get a deal done. Now looking at a 2013. Can anyone comment on the changes made from 13 to 14.5 model year.
Thanks
In addition to what has been mentioned, the flooring is different between the 2014.5 and earlier models. The newer flooring looks like yacht planking, and the earlier flooring is a textured pattern. What pushed us to by a new 2015 was that older flooring in some of the used models we looked at looked dirty. It might have been a poor detailing job, but it really looked used. This newer style flooring hasn't aged a bit in the 4.5 years we've owned our rig. Could be a difference in care, but for my money, I'd look pretty hard at that.
stast01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
We have the same as Titus - 2013 AS on a 2012 MB. I think the inverter/converter brand is the major difference. We have the TrippLite and they changed to Magnum during the model year. We have no issues with the TrippLite.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
2013 is the year they changed to the Magnum inverter. Since the Tripplite was problematic, best to ensure what you're after has the Magnum.
Also the awning was changed to the legless version from the version with downward supporting legs.
I call this the 2013.5 model. In my opinion its more reliable than the later models with all the bells and whistles!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Yeah, I forgot about the Magnum. I don't know that people have had problems with the Tripplite, but understand that it does not have sophisticated charging and thus cannot leave it plugged in all the time or you'll risk damaging the batteries. But with the Magnum (and maybe Tripplite too) you cannot have it plugged into shore power with the house batteries disconnected. I have upgraded the Magnum remote and added a battery monitor kit to it. Those were nice additions - that may not be possible with Tripplite. I think the forum consensus it to get a Magnum if you have a choice.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Las Cruces , New Mexico
2013.5 ai

We own a 2013 Sprinter Chassis with a 2014 AI Coach. So a 2013.5? Purchased new, January 2014, with 41K accumulated since new. Magnum Inverter, legless awning, front & rear sensors, and less attractive flooring all commented on above. We would have really liked to have the new flooring! I've replaced the Dometic Thermostat & the macerator pump. Added an amplifier to the audio system and installed an additional transmission cooler. The trailer 7 pin connector, which hangs below the rear skids was ripped off recently when the rear hit bottom. Not the best design location for the electrical connector, and it will be re-located. The AI easily tows a 2014 Wrangler JKU. This AI has been a great vehicle!
JJKinnerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by stast01 View Post
In addition to what has been mentioned, the flooring is different between the 2014.5 and earlier models. The newer flooring looks like yacht planking, and the earlier flooring is a textured pattern. What pushed us to by a new 2015 was that older flooring in some of the used models we looked at looked dirty. It might have been a poor detailing job, but it really looked used. This newer style flooring hasn't aged a bit in the 4.5 years we've owned our rig. Could be a difference in care, but for my money, I'd look pretty hard at that.
Just curious if you investigated changing the flooring out or not and if anyone else has.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #14
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mert Brown View Post
Just curious if you investigated changing the flooring out or not and if anyone else has.
Changing the floor would be a total nightmare. The floor is wall to wall under everything.

OTOH, even though I have the new floor, I use rubber-backed mats in the aisle so that we don't have to step out of bed on a cold floor. I also use mats at the sliding door. Footprints show on the dark flooring. On my Lounge, I can put mats everywhere except right in front of the refrigerator. I haven't found a mat slim enough to not block the refrigerator door swing.

I like to change the look once in a while. Rubber-backed mats are less than $15.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-01-2019, 06:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Our metal box containing the trailer wiring was severely distorted when the rear end scraped. (Poor design to have the wring box sit lower than the skids.) I removed the metal box. The 7 pin trailer connector was too big to fit inside the 2" receiver, but the MB wiring harness that was plugged into the 7 pin connector was smaller. So I removed the 7 pin connector. I wrapped the MB connecter piece in plastic and stuck it into the 2' receiver. If I pull a trailer I will pull out the MB connector, unwrap it, and plug it into the 7 pin connector (which I keep with the hitch). We have pulled a trailer once in 5 years and 60,000 miles, so this inconvenient approach is OK with me.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:11 AM   #16
Contributing Member

Quote:
Our metal box containing the trailer wiring was severely distorted when the rear end scraped. (Poor design to have the wring box sit lower than the skids.)
Apparently, that is something they improved on the 2014.5. My trailer connector is up along the side of the receiver tube. Not necessarily the most convenient, but well protected by the receiver tube.

I always just barely scrape my skids getting into my driveway, but I never touch the receiver tube or the connector. I leave my wireless transmitter for my tow lights in the connector at all times, even when not towing the smart.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #17
Contributing Member

I'm working with several Texas dealers, looking to upgrade to a later year Interstate, probably a GT. It is getting increasingly difficult to get down to access the refrigerator.

We have a caravan through Louisiana coming up soon. My 2014 is the last year without screens and I think screens may be very welcome for that trip.
WBCCI #9632