Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 06:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Recently started using the Rid-X brand of RV liquid. It is an enzyme based treatment and I have been very impressed with its solid and paper breakdown capability.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I too just started using the Rid-X product. Just curious, how have you evaluated the "solid and paper breakdown capability"?
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
I too just started using the Rid-X product. Just curious, how have you evaluated the "solid and paper breakdown capability"?
Wellll, Gotta get a little gross for that answer. I used to see and hear the "plop" of solids and wads of paper toward the end of the dump cycle as "things" would drop into the dump station port. No more. Also, I can see straight down to the tank through my toilet, right at the low end of the tank where the exit to the dump valve is. Whereas, I used to see pretty complete paper sheets and "preserved" solids, I now see only a thin slurry and very small paper particles. When empty and looking down the toilet, there is virtually nothing left, without, or prior to, flushing with clear water.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Thanks..... I think.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I've been using the commercial enzyme products sold at camping world for years. No real issue, other than in hot weather I have to use more.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
I've been using the commercial enzyme products sold at camping world for years. No real issue, other than in hot weather I have to use more.

Mike
Ditto, I've tried a lot of different stuff and found this Pure Power Blue Waste Digester to work the best for me.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Great info folks. Thanks!
What's your process when you dump the black tank and then put up your AI for the next adventure? Do you use the same treatment in the tank? Add water? add something else?

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have used Unique for 7 summers now. No odor and the tank drains completely.
Unique Natural Products | RV Digest-It Holding Tank Treatment | Safe Products That Work
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback1 View Post
Great info folks. Thanks!
What's your process when you dump the black tank and then put up your AI for the next adventure? Do you use the same treatment in the tank? Add water? add something else?

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
see my post #19 above. Don't have time to look back now, but sure I've read that in one of the AI manuals, or that AI book that everyone has.
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

I prefer enzymes over blue perfume chemicals

I did a side by side test. That sealed the deal. ( besides the environmental reasons )

Ridex is cheaper than the bottled RV enzyme treatments.

RV waste tanks are really VERY much like septic tanks in a lot of respects.

Also, Enzyme treatment systems don't call for a spotless waste tank. They actually work better when they have something to feed on

But the reason I am responding is that I was just told by a " country " plumber who always deals with septic tanks, that Bakers Yeast is the way to go. ( and you can use the enzymes in conjunction with the bakers yeast )

And to answer posters other question. Grey tanks get almost as nasty as black tanks.( I know this because the camper next to me had a grey water mishap ) If I had a grey tank, I would use enzymes on it too.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Ours came with a bottle of Walex Pure Power toilet treatment and some Bio-Pak tablets. Sounds like both have pretty good reviews unless I am missing something?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Now, the wife really does not like to discuss this, so I am happy to chime in here.

I look down the hole, and it is clean as a whistle. Ok, not quite that clean, but free of all visible material. That's after 80,000 miles.

I just manage the blackwater. Keep til 1/2 full, then dump immediately after driving. Allow a bit of graywater up that side after dumping (keeps material from jamming black valve).

Use plenty of water when flushing the toilet.

When on hookups, follow the same procedure. Don't leave anything open to dribble out and crust over. (ewww..)

When storing, make sure there is nothing in the tanks. This keeps settlement from becoming a problem.

No treatments, no smell, no problem!
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Photobum here recently recommended a cup of Borax and 1/2 cup liquid Tide after dumping, followed by a gallon of hot water.

I'm going to be trying that tomorrow, and I'll let y'all know how it works.

Maggie
Old 06-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Among other things I tend to use water softener. Hard water makes problems worse, so far as I can tell.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
So is this stuff bad for the tanks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Ours came with a bottle of Walex Pure Power toilet treatment and some Bio-Pak tablets. Sounds like both have pretty good reviews unless I am missing something?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #36

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Homewood , Illinois
We were fulltimers from 2006 to 2012 and sometimers after that. We have always used only nature's own cleaning agent in our tanks...plenty of plain old water and never have had any odor or other problems. It was easier to manage with larger black tanks in our 30' Airstream Excella and later in our 40' Foretravel Class A. . .not as easy, but doable in our 19' Casita travel trailer (15 gal black tank). I also used a Flush King to back flush the Casita (the Excella and Foretravel had their own flush systems). We are planning to buy a Grand Tour AI later this year, and plan to use the H2O method with it. We'll see how that goes.
2hamsinacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:23 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Photobum here recently recommended a cup of Borax and 1/2 cup liquid Tide after dumping, followed by a gallon of hot water.

I'm going to be trying that tomorrow, and I'll let y'all know how it works.

Maggie
After dumping my tanks Monday morning, I dropped these down the toilet, followed by hot water.

I liked the idea of this mixture sloshing around my empty black tank as I drove home, and it certainly does have a nice scent.

I am planning to add no other chemicals to the black tank...we'll see.

I have also stopped dropping toilet paper down there, as the paper seems to generally be the biggest consumer of water for flushing, and is also what wants to adhere internally.

I bought some small, scented trash bags, and put one on a small, peel&stick hook on the bathroom wall...where no one can see it but me...then tied it off for the trash when full.

This method will conserve black tank capacity as well as water.

Maggie
Old 06-16-2016, 06:21 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

I have also stopped dropping toilet paper down there, as the paper seems to generally be the biggest consumer of water for flushing, and is also what wants to adhere internally....
That is how certain other countries handle it as a matter of course, including Mexico. As procedures go, it may work in certain limited-use scenarios but not very well at the height of summer in the subtropics. One of my industrial clients with a predominantly Mexican-origin workforce actually pays someone a full time wage to stand in the restroom and enforce the company policy that the toilet paper goes into toilet and not the trash bin, because old habits are hard to break. If this isn't done, the odors are too strong and that has a deleterious impact on business as clients and investors wonder why the plant smells so bad.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:29 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We stayed at a cg in the keys that had a large Latino clientele, the bathrooms smelled terrible because the waste bins were full of used tp.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:32 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I believe that a small scented bag, tied off and disposed of, shouldn't be a problem.

Maggie