Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Glenwood Spgs , Colorado
Angry We received the dreaded phone call yesterday

We ordered an AI-19 the last week in January. We contracted to receive a 2022 Airstream on a 2021 4X4 Sprinter chassis with a estimated deliver of 9-15-2021 with all the disclaimers.

Our dealer called yesterday with bad news, they claim no 2021 Sprinter 144’s 4 x 4’s have been released from Mercedes to Airstream this year. Mercedes has had so many recalls and a lack of parts from suppliers especially with the high end vans. They told us that Airstream is expecting deliveries November 1st of our model and we'll be included in that production run. They could not confirm if it will be a 2022 Sprinter or the 2021 as contracted? I also question the possibility of a price increasing seeing how it will be a full year before we take delivery and I couldn’t give a firm answer. They’re telling us now we should have our unit right after the first of the year if not sooner during Christmas week. Fingers crossed...
zelmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelmoe View Post
We ordered an AI-19 the last week in January. We contracted to receive a 2022 Airstream on a 2021 4X4 Sprinter chassis with a estimated deliver of 9-15-2021 ...... I also question the possibility of a price increasing seeing how it will be a full year before we take delivery and I couldn’t give a firm answer. They’re telling us now we should have our unit right after the first of the year if not sooner during Christmas week. Fingers crossed...
Is a possible price increase written in your agreement?
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Naples , Idaho
That makes me sad as i ordered my AI 19 4X4 in April. it is really my dream unit but not sure I want to wait a year or longer
CindyIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Naples , Idaho
Just talked to my dealer who is next to the Airstream plant and he stated they have received 4X4 chassis and that I could be receiving mine after the New Year in January sometime. I hope this is correct.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyIdaho View Post
Just talked to my dealer who is next to the Airstream plant and he stated they have received 4X4 chassis and that I could be receiving mine after the New Year in January sometime. I hope this is correct.
Hi Ciny, if they are receiving the chassis, why all the way until January?
Vincentesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Naples , Idaho
depends on where you are inline for your build. There are so many back ordered
Old 07-25-2021, 10:57 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Naples , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentesq View Post
Hi Ciny, if they are receiving the chassis, why all the way until January?
Because it depends on where you are inline on the back orders
Old 08-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
We emailed airstream last week and they replied, saying that our 4 x 4 Chassis has just arrived, but because of potential supply shortages, and vote Covid, It could be between 4 to 8 weeks before our will be ready for delivery. Good to know, at least we know will probably get our sometime in late October.
Vincentesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:19 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One variable in all of this ( car / truck / RV / whatever ) is that the factory to dealer transport process has become very unpredictable. Our truck normally would have made the <2 hour transit from the rail yard to the dealer in under a week. This time it took a month ....

If you drive through "RV country" around Elkhart IN, roughly every third house has a sign in front of it advertising big bucks for folks to haul RV's .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:51 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelmoe View Post
We ordered an AI-19 the last week in January. We contracted to receive a 2022 Airstream on a 2021 4X4 Sprinter chassis with a estimated deliver of 9-15-2021 with all the disclaimers.

Our dealer called yesterday with bad news, they claim no 2021 Sprinter 144’s 4 x 4’s have been released from Mercedes to Airstream this year. Mercedes has had so many recalls and a lack of parts from suppliers especially with the high end vans. They told us that Airstream is expecting deliveries November 1st of our model and we'll be included in that production run. They could not confirm if it will be a 2022 Sprinter or the 2021 as contracted? I also question the possibility of a price increasing seeing how it will be a full year before we take delivery and I couldn’t give a firm answer. They’re telling us now we should have our unit right after the first of the year if not sooner during Christmas week. Fingers crossed...

Congratulations!

That’s GREAT NEWS.

Now there’s a schedule and a plan for production. I’m happy for you, and I hope you’re feeling relieved. Any minor additional cost will be recovered when you resell.

Some pre-service advice:

For all of our new vans, eight so far, we schedule a service appointment on delivery day, 4 weeks ahead. We list two blinds needing repair, cabinet creaks and squeaks, sink won’t drain, buzzing sound in stereo for example.

Then we keep a notebook and we record any actual repair needs. We don’t get “spun up” about warranty issues, we just line up the service in advance. Because, we “know” we’ll need service on the van. And it makes no sense to buy a new van, and something breaks then they schedule you 4-8 weeks out for 2-4 hours in the AS shop. Then two weeks go by, and something else breaks… and the service advisor says “we are going to need to block off more time for your repair… So I have to push you out five more weeks”

YMMV - this system has worked well for me. My service manager knows I understand the process, and she knows if I have a remarkable van, with little or no service needs (2017 year, 2019 year) she can easily fill the available service slots with work. My service advisor also is happy to Not have to explain how AS service works with multiple suppliers and their respective warranties. She knows my expectations are nowhere near as high as perhaps Mercedes automobile dealership customer. The service system works more like an 80s auto dealership in terms of items needing repair, and the clumsy process to get them accomplished.

Thankfully, 80% of any adjustments or repairs usually occurs during the first 60 days with our experience. Debugging the units or something I’ve actually sort of enjoyed, and when I sell my unit after nine months or so… Somebody gets a van which is operating optimally.

Perhaps entering into the delivery acceptance with the mindset that it will take 60 days or so to unravel, and troubleshoot problems… Well that might go a long way towards ownership happiness and reducing buyer remorse

Congrats once again ...
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Do you schedule an appointment with AS *and* with your local MB Sprinter dealer?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote