Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #1

2013 Interstate Coach
Kirkland , Washington
Water Intrusion

Need help identifying where water is entering my 2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge. The interior wall on the driver's side is wet next to the seat and down to the floor behind the couch in the rear lounge. The wet wall begins six inches below the side window and at the top of the exterior opening for the hot water heater. There is a small amount of water on the van floor between the wheel well and the rear of the van.

I dried the wall and the floor but have been unable to identify where the water is coming in. Used a garden hose to spraying around the hot water heater, magnetic door knob, side window, and roof. Anyone have a leak in this area and identified the source?
CNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
If you sprayed the exterior with water, and you're sure it's not coming in there, I'd check the inside plumbing.

Without knowing exactly what water heater setup you have, I'd be suspect of a water heater connection. Have you charged the system and looked to see if you have water system leaks?
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
We had a leak on that side that came from the large side window behind the driver’s seat. The seal had failed and we had to have the window rebedded.

Water can travel a long ways. One way to check if it is window is to check if any of the insulation in the walls that you can get to is wet. If it is wet above any of the plumbing there is a good chance it is a window.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
To have it come from the water heater and hit the wall it would have to spray - which would be a huge leak. Try leaving the pump on and see if it cycles. If it does that would suggest an interior plumbing leak. If not you are right to look for a leak from the outside.

We had a roof leak that only occurred when the rear of the van was up - like we park when camping so our heads are up a bit. It never leaked sitting in the driveway - nose up. Try reorienting the van with different sides up and repeat the hose test.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #5

2013 Interstate Coach
Kirkland , Washington
Thank you for the responses!

My fresh water system was drained including hot water tank and low point drains. Water intrusion is discovered when the rear of van is lower. If front is lower I can not duplicate or find any indication of water intrusion. I inspect the interior weekly including all upper cabinets and sidewalls. Will investigate the sidewall below the sink and behind the refrigerator more. I suspect the side windows as the roof caulking inspection looked good before and after water testing and is regularly maintained after finding a leak from the TV antenna wires when I bought the van 3 years ago.