Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Water Heater Question

We finally used the water heater on our last trip out. WOW!! That's hot water. I know there is a mixing valve on the side of the water tank, to "extend" the apparent capacity of the tank. The supplied temperature on the datasheet for the heater is 130F...after mixing! Is the valve adjustable? Our home heater is set much lower (120F)...seems like I could extend my capacity a bit more if I set it back a bit. The back of the van is full of "stuff" right now or I would dig in there myself. Not trying to be lazy, I will get in there, just wanted to float a question first.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I do not believe that the mixing valve is adjustable. I think it's fixed at a ratio of 2 parts hot to 1 part cold. If you were to take the temperature of the hot water before mixing, it would be closer to 165°F.

But the faucets also serve as mixing valves, and I've always been able to set my faucets at something less than full hot in order to get the temperature down to a bearable level.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Thanks Protagonist. Yes, the valves do provide mixing too... I just was having memories of a ship-board shower where I bounced off the walls (comedy show) until I could put the valve back in the position I really wanted.......do not want to repeat that again. Too many bruises on me and my ego.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The heater may be set high as a compromise with several factors coming into play.

Dish washing wants a high temperature. Code calls for 140 degree in commercial machines.

Hand washing is limited to 110 degrees in schools lest someone get burned. Which was interesting as I had to hold the temperature in the boiler room to 110 but had to have a boost heater in the cooking class room to jump it to 140, dishwasher and scrub sinks. So much for logic.

And probably the biggest single reason RV heaters are set where they are is the small size of the tank lest you run out of hot water while showering.

Yes 130 degrees is too hot if drawn by itself so use the faucet as the final mixer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Thanks Protagonist. Yes, the valves do provide mixing too... I just was having memories of a ship-board shower where I bounced off the walls (comedy show) until I could put the valve back in the position I really wanted.......do not want to repeat that again. Too many bruises on me and my ego.
Our XO had shutoffs added at the shower head so once you had the temp set, you didn't have to waste water readjusting each time. Of course there was always water hours when one of the evaps was Tango Uniform. The boilers had first call on fresh water.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you also have to consider the temperature of the incoming water; Some times, in cold weather, I have to turn my shower valve almost completely to the hot side. And in hot weather I have to turn my shower valve very close to the cold side.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote