Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 06:27 AM   #81
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm on the way back from a weekend drive to Kansas. When we lived there I learned that "average" temperature may not save you. There was an air leak at just the wrong place in the garage. If the wind blew strong enough from the wrong direction .... no water in the master bathroom. The garage didn't get below freezing .... the pipe did ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I'm on the way back from a weekend drive to Kansas. When we lived there I learned that "average" temperature may not save you. There was an air leak at just the wrong place in the garage. If the wind blew strong enough from the wrong direction .... no water in the master bathroom. The garage didn't get below freezing .... the pipe did ....

Bob

Good point Bob. It is often said that wind chill doesn’t effect anything but people. But as you found and air leak in the wrong place on a building or motorhome can cause a freeze if wind chills the weak link.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
A few days ago, it was still winter with over 8" of snow. Winter's last hurrah. Now temps are ramping up to 60's.

This is my AI 1st winter. Looking back at my inside cabin temp history, it never got lower than 47° F inside the AI, even though outdoor (outside of garage) temps hit below 32° F overnight many times. It is not heated but it only has 1 wall adjacent to outside (and it's an insulated garage door, facing east). The north, south, west walls are sharing indoor living space. As reference, it was a cold Feb. winter. So it looks like I won't need to winterize (the indoor plumbing), maybe just winterizing the 3 tanks and undercarriage plumbing - under normal conditions. But I still plan to winterize annually just to be safe However, it is nice to know keeping it inside makes a big difference.

ALEX - what are you using to track those temps? I looked back through this thread and didn’t find them mentioned. Looks like it would be s great tool to monitor my van when parked in driveway during winter months here in Maryland.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #84
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Good point Bob. It is often said that wind chill doesn’t effect anything but people. But as you found and air leak in the wrong place on a building or motorhome can cause a freeze if wind chills the weak link.
UNCLEBOB, MIKE - Yeah, found this out the hard way when I lived in SF Bay Area 25 yrs ago. Because it hardly freezes there, most water mains (even new construction) comes up about 2ft. from ground near driveway into garage. They don't insulate them One very windy winter night, even though it was above 32° , the main started to freeze. Luckily, I caught it in time
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
ALEX - what are you using to track those temps? I looked back through this thread and didn’t find them mentioned. Looks like it would be s great tool to monitor my van when parked in driveway during winter months here in Maryland.
This LaCrosse unit works great FYI:

https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...H7NRJ5J3FP7RSY

Monitors three locations, inexpensive, stores recent Hi/Low, and lithium batteries last forever. Lower tech than the photo Alex posted before -- must use human bio-computer.

Peter

FYI/FWIW
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:

I use a couple of these data loggers - I drop one in the battery box, and keep another one inside the rig. You can download the data to a computer via USB.

https://www.elitechustore.com/Temper...4aAtMAEALw_wcB
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Tucson , Arizona
My lesson learned

I live in Tucson AZ where temperatures rarely get dangerously low. Unfortunately a cold spell blew through here around a month ago and froze the outdoor faucet, which revealed itself as intermittent cycling of the water pump and some drips in the vicinity outside. UGH. $240 later.
ChrisCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #88
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
MIKE - I lifted it off of the WACHUKO List. I first saw it when he posted the purchase.

SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer for iPhone/Android - Humidity & Temperature Smart Sensor. It's $49 at Amazon.

I knew WACHUKO liked it. So I ordered one for the fridge and started using since July. I thought that by now it would've overwritten it's memory. But everytime I download info from it to my smartphone, it still has all the data from July. I have not investigated if it is using memory from my phone to keep part of the old info. It is bluetooth and you can buy the optional WiFi module so the sensor(s) can be queried remotely. Or the sensor alerts can be setup to send to your device provided it has internet access. The account includes cloud service for free, so all your devices logged in to account can receive alerts. I liked it so much, I bought a 2nd one for van interior. Now I am going to get a 3rd one for the undercarriage and get the WiFi module.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71R6HHat4mL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	334444   Click image for larger version

Name:	81c1iMwPzaL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	334445  

Click image for larger version

Name:	612GSF0CzHL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	334446   Click image for larger version

Name:	81Bv18+YEwL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	334447  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
ALEX - thanks for the details. Looks like a great system. I could keep sensor in our home while traveling. Then have a sensor in van to track temperatures during winter when parked in my driveway.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #90
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Englewood , CO
Colorado is expecting 26 Degree low in September.Do I winterize for only one cold day

Hi All,

Living here in Colorado you never know what to expect with the weather. We are experiencing 100 degree weather yesterday and today but it is expected to go to 26 degrees on Tuesday evening. Crazy. We were planning to winterize at the end of September as we have a couple more trips we would like to do.

We have a 2017 Interstate GT. So how should I plan for these wild fluctuations. Hate to winterize if the weather will be warm again. I would hate it even more if something freezes. I do have tank heaters and will be connected to shore power while during this stretch

Any strategies you can help with home and while boon docking on the road?

Thanks all again,

Randy
5280BDocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #91
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
We occasionally get high 20s here in the Austin area. I turn on the fresh tank heater since I always keep some water in it. If the black tank is not empty, that heater goes on, as well. I run a small ceramic heater in the coach. All blinds down and the cover on the windshield. Many years, that is all I need to do.

If the forecast is much lower than that, then, I blow out the lines and empty the tanks.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote