Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Volcano Grill LP Hookup

Recently purchased a Volcano grill with the LP burner option. We purchased it because of its compact size and ability to use either charcoal or LP burner. I'm having a little issue hooking it up to the Interstate quick connect.

The grill came with a regulator and a fitting that allows it to be connected to a standard LP 20 lb. tank. I tested it with a standard tank and the burner produced a very robust flame. I then removed the regulator from the grill and used a brass fitting to connect the Airstream supplied hose to the hose on the Volcano's burner. I then connected the unit to the Interstate's LP quick connect, opened the valves and lit the burner. The flame burned much less hot than it did when connected to the standard 20 lb. tank.

My question, the regulator that came with the grill had a sticker on it indicating that it was 10 PSI. Is this different than the Interstate's regulator, and is that why there is so much difference in the flame? My Interstate is a 2014 and I just had the regulator replaced due to the recall. My other gas appliances are working normally.
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
Recently purchased a Volcano grill with the LP burner option. We purchased it because of its compact size and ability to use either charcoal or LP burner. I'm having a little issue hooking it up to the Interstate quick connect.

The grill came with a regulator and a fitting that allows it to be connected to a standard LP 20 lb. tank. I tested it with a standard tank and the burner produced a very robust flame. I then removed the regulator from the grill and used a brass fitting to connect the Airstream supplied hose to the hose on the Volcano's burner. I then connected the unit to the Interstate's LP quick connect, opened the valves and lit the burner. The flame burned much less hot than it did when connected to the standard 20 lb. tank.

My question, the regulator that came with the grill had a sticker on it indicating that it was 10 PSI. Is this different than the Interstate's regulator, and is that why there is so much difference in the flame? My Interstate is a 2014 and I just had the regulator replaced due to the recall. My other gas appliances are working normally.
What you're doing is feeding the propane thru two regulators. Doesn't work well. The onboard propane system pressure is already reduced. You will need to replace the regulator on your grill. Check with the folks at Defender Industries (defender.com). They supplied me with a kit to convert my Kuuma grill to LPG. I looked on the Volcano website and it didn't appear that they offered anything but you might want to call them.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The Interstate manual says the Interstate's regulator provides 11.5 inches of water column pressure. I googled a conversion engine and that gave me 0.415 psi. Not sure if that is correct, but if it is, that would account for the big difference in the way the Volcano runs off the Interstate's lpg supply.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Actually, I removed the regulator from the Volcano before hooking it up to the Interstate.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
UKDude, I suspected it was something like that. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
Actually, I removed the regulator from the Volcano before hooking it up to the Interstate.
I overlooked the fact that you removed the Volcano regulator. I think your problem may be in the size of the oriface on your volcano. I know the lp conversion valve that I received for my Kuuma came with a different oriface to be used with the rv lp supply. You might want to check with an expert on that possibility.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
C21bill, Thanks, that will be my next move. I'll call the folks at Volcano tomorrow to see if they can shed some light on this.