Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2022, 01:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Evans , GA
Ventline Vanair Bathroom fanblade replacement

The fanblade in our Interstate coach exploded upon turning it on. Its a 2014.5 so I guess its had enough UV to make it brittle. We ordered a new fanblade and fixed it. Once again my built in videographer son recorded it and edited it down in case it can help someone else.
It was super simple, worst part was needing a ladder to do it from the roof, but I also wound up washing, waxing, and inspecting the roof while I was up there.
Hope this helps someone in the future. Ive gotten lots of great tips here myself!
Safe tavels!

https://youtu.be/ofHipl_DHbM
GAAirstreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Appreciate the video. I bought a replacement blade in anticipating of our 9 year old fan breaking in the near future. Nice to know that the fan is just a press fit.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Ocala , Florida
I need to do this as ours recently exploded as well. Haven’t seen the video yet but hopefully your blade is the same as ours
KatieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Ocala , Florida
Wow…easier than I thought! Our blade doesn’t look like that at all but is instead more like a blade you would see on a desktop fan in your home. D shaped hole. Hopefully it’s as simple as this replacement was.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:22 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Ocala , Florida
This post is very old but it might help someone by my posting an update. When I took off my destroyed fan blade in the bathroom it turned out mine was not the D shaped shaft like most of them are and instead a round little bitty shaft with like eight teeth going around it or something. Was not able to replace ours and have not ever been able to find a replacement fan blade that would slide onto that shaft
Old 03-03-2024, 12:29 PM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Our AI is a 2016 model year, though we had the fan replaced at an Airstream dealer a year or so ago. The motor has gone bad, partially burned out when the foam gasket under the lid came loose while we were away from the van, tangled in the fan blades, and stopped the motor. If we can find a replacement for the motor, I will be taking this assembly apart and replacing that motor, whereupon I will find out what kind of shaft it that motor had and whether the replacement matches it. I know we can replace the entire fan assembly, and that the cost for the replacement unit is just under $100, but I'm hoping for a cheaper solution since our fan is only a year or so old.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:10 AM   #7

Fan motor replacement

Found a fan motor replacement and ordered one from Colonial Airstream. Here’s the same motor from Woodland Airstream, same price. I’m confident one could also buy the fan blade the same way. Yes, one would pay Airstream prices for a part bought this way, but it’ll still be less expensive and less of a pain to just replace the blade vs the entire unit.

https://woodlandairstreamparts.com/p...c346e869&_ss=r

Once we get the motor, we’ll have a mobile RV mechanic with a taller ladder than mine replace the burned out motor with this one. I have an 8ft ladder, but to do this safely I’d need a solid ladder, at least 10ft, maybe 12.

Edit - After I asked the nice folks at E-trailer, they found what appears to be a matching motor at a slightly lower price:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-BVD0218-00.html
Old 03-12-2024, 08:58 AM   #8

Oh, hey, also found a fan blade replacement at Woodland Airstream parts department. I decided to order one of those as well in case the mobile mechanic breaks the existing fan blade when replacing the motor, which I received yesterday.

https://woodlandairstreamparts.com/p...lade-682181-01

Old 03-28-2024, 06:21 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I know we can replace the entire fan assembly, and that the cost for the replacement unit is just under $100, but I'm hoping for a cheaper solution since our fan is only a year or so old.
I have my fan assembly removed right now. Every time it rains we get water leaking into the wet bath. I finally got tired of it and removed it today to replace it with a new maxxfan. Discovered however that the Ventline Vannair on the van has reliefs cut out into the base for the roof rib it mounts over. The maxxfan of course does not. I’m looking at new Ventlines and I can’t find any with the reliefs. The airstream replacement does not show them either- I suspect they are just selling the same generic one that fits the flatter roof trailers and calling it good for the ribbed roof of the van.

My fan was operating fine so I might just clean it up, reseal and reinstall it. I think whomever last “resealed” the roof penetrations used so much dicor they covered the drain hole in the fan base so it would get enough water pooled in it to overflow and drip into the wet bath.
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 02:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Rockwell , North Carolina
Update - When I took the old fan assembly apart I found it had a spacer/adapter that allows the fan to mount cleanly to the ribbed roof. I ordered a new ventline fan that I should have tomorrow. I believe Airstream calls the adapter a "ceiling spacer" in the parts book.
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:16 PM   #11

Today our mobile RV tech replaced the fan motor, and now the fan works beautifully. The fan blade did not break in the process, so now I have a replacement fan blade in the van for later use, because we all know very well that due to long-term UV exposure the current fan blade will eventually break and explode into a million spinning pieces. Success!

Old 04-02-2024, 05:18 PM   #12

Oh, forgot to mention this little trick, which may be helpful. I think I mentioned that I used an EDPM rubber gasket under the cap for the bathroom fan since the cheap foam one had come loose, tangled in the fan, and burned out the motor. When the mobile tech removed the fan's cap today, that gasket had already started coming loose. So, he cleaned up the underside of the cap and the formerly sticky side of that gasket, and stuck the gasket back down using a length of VHB tape of the correct width. We'll check it again later this year to see whether that sticks the gasket down more permanently, but we're hopeful it will do the job.