Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Vehicle Security - What have you done?

Just saw this on the Roadtreking group on Facebook:

Mike Wendland

46 mins · Collinsville, IL

OMG! Someone broke into our Roadtrek while we were eating and stole everything! Everything. Computers, camera gear, podcasting stuff. Everything.

Feel absolutely terrible for the Wendlands. Of course that incident now begs the question "What have you done to secure your Interstate?"

The idea of an alarm has crossed my mind on a few occasions. Now might be the time to get one.
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
An alarm is a good idea, but I have watched when an alarm sounds, people glance up to make sure it isn't theirs, then go about their business.
Prevention may be a better answer. For example, make sure there is nothing tempting sitting in plain view. Most thieves are not going to break in to a vehicle when they can see nothing worth taking. Parking where your vehicle is visible when you're in a building is another deterrent. Don't park in the back 40. There are other tips, as well, but those are a couple of quick thoughts.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
For whatever reason my Classic has a vent from the furnace that goes nowhere! It has become a safe.....
I glued 21/2 feet of 4" PVC behind it, voila, a safe in plain sight.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
A couple of weeks ago at a state park in NM, we were told by a fellow camper that someone stole his battery the nite before at a Cracker Barrel. Last year while in Puerto Vallarta, someone came into our condo WHILE WE SLEPT and took a 40" flat screen, my wallet, iphone, ipad and rx sunglasses and hoisted them over the balcony two floors up. My point? Stuff happens. We were careless in Puerto Vallarta and left balcony doors open. I agree with the previous poster. Put all valuables out of site. We put our two laptops under pillows on the sofa out of site and close all the curtains. You can only do so much. If people really want to steal something, i.e., bbq, generator, bikes, their going to do it. I guess that's why we have insurance.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiato View Post
[B]Feel absolutely terrible for the Wendlands. Of course that incident now begs the question "What have you done to secure your Interstate?"

The idea of an alarm has crossed my mind on a few occasions. Now might be the time to get one.
I bought my Interstate on December 23rd 2011, and brought it home around 3:00p.m. By 6:00a.m. on December 24th when I went out to load up for my inaugural camping trip, I discovered that some vile miscreant had broken out the passenger-side front window and did over $3500 of damage to the dashboard to remove the Kenwood head unit with a crowbar or tire iron. Took the "new" right off of my new Interstate, and caused me to postpone my first camping trip until I could get the damage repaired. Kind of took the "merry" out of my Merry Christmas, too!

The Airstream dealer repaired the dashboard damage after lengthy negotiations with an unhappy insurance company, but hired a subcontractor to install a new Kenwood head unit. I discovered that the subcontractor was also an authorized Viper alarm installer, so I made separate arrangements to have a Viper system installed at the same time.

The insurance company was unhappy because a mere two days after I bought the insurance, they were hit with a payout over three times what I had paid them. Naturally they tried to nickel-and-dime every tiny detail of the repairs, and altogether it was close to two months before I had my Airstream back.

But ever since I got the Viper system installed, I've had no problems with attempted theft, burglary, or vandalism. And I've gotten philosophical enough about the experience to not be upset anymore when I remember it.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
For the trailer: Double cylinder deadbolt. This way they'll have to work pretty hard to get into the trailer, can't smash a door window and reach in and unlock, or climb through a window, which wouldn't be all that comfortable, especially if they are in a rush. Keep the trailer locked! But if they really want your stuff, they'll get it.
On an Interstate, think of looking for somewhere you might be able to bolt a small strong box into a storage compartment, know space is limited, but bolted from the inside would make it difficult. Since it's essentially a cargo van, it doesn't take long to smash a window and get in and out in a few seconds. If you can delay them, even a little bit, they may give up for the quick getaway.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
The best protection is actually to make sure any would-be burglar can't see inside to select the goodies he wants to steal. In an Interstate, that means a good-quality cover for the windshield and front windows, and not leaving any lights on inside without closing the blinds. The dark-tinted side and rear windows do a good job of blocking line of sight only as long as it's brighter outside than inside; they've very transparent when the inside is brighter than outside.

I attribute my own burglary to the inadequate privacy curtain Airstream provided, which hung straight down from the windshield visors and left the dashboard exposed. Had the burglar been able to see into the back of the van, he would undoubtedly have taken the televisions as well, but he only took what he could see from outside.

As soon as I got my van back with the alarm system installed, I bought a windshield cover and side window covers that completely blocked anyone's view of the inside of the van while it's parked, and I believe this has helped every bit as much as the alarm has. These covers also help for summer camping, since the windshield does a very good imitation of a greenhouse if it isn't covered.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Whatever, don't let them steal your peace....

Prep.. Secure.. Insure...

Sometimes better locks mean "something important in there!!"

I have caught criminals by camera.. And they were prosecuted. So, setting up your own "security" which is hard to detect is key. I know places you can find the hardware. Ping on PM should you want a place to look ( I have no financial interest in that company )
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Besides blocking view in, have read elsewhere that leaving tv or radio on loud enough to hear standing outside the door, probably a good recording of a large dog barking controlled by a motion detector would be better.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Man!!

I follow those folks on Facebook - sad to hear of their losses and everyone else for that matter....

Man - what a bummer

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
DroneMobile | Your Car, Connected.. Highly recommended. More than an alarm siren, it will send a message and sound an alarm from your cell phone if someone even touches your van. It even tells you if they then break in.

It gives me some piece of mind. Now when they steal everything, I won't be surprised when I return.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I got a DroneMobil too works well just need to keep up with the false alarms. Truck passing by. Train or motorcycle will trigger but also when somebody bumps it.
The alarm sticker alone is a deterrent I got it on both sides visible by approach as well a blue indicator light that it is on.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
With the big Airstream windows and even the external access storage compartments, getting into the trailer is easy. A pry bar would open (and wreck) them.

We park it in open areas of the parking lot where it is visible to the public. Drop the steps and turn a light on so they think you're in it.

Plan on a break-in and how to manage the damage and loss as part of your travel plan. Be sure you can contact and work with the insurance company when away from home.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Security systems are fine. But.....Whatever happened to the good ole fashioned watch dog??.....with a baritone bark?? Don't we have those anymore??

"You guard the house
both night and day,
But most of all
when we're away."

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post
But.....Whatever happened to the good ole fashioned watch dog??.....with a baritone bark?? Don't we have those anymore??
No. A dog inside an Interstate van would actually CAUSE break-ins… by animal rights activists who want to "rescue" the animal that is obviously being mistreated by being left alone in a hot van— unless you also left the generator and air conditioner running and said activists were smart enough to understand that the air conditioner is running…
Old 05-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Take into consideration where you are parking. If you are traveling in Mexico you can expect to have the screw-on TPMS valve stem caps taken or have your entire rig hijacked. Same thing in some areas of US cities. Since we are full timing and stay in remote areas we are vulnerable as well. Fortunately we have never had a problem with either our AS or van (the van looks a bit intimidating so may provide a deterrence).

Anticipating that someone might think about a break-in (the door handle/lock assembly cost $600 to replace) I installed ring/gate hasps on the front door and jam and hang a round padlock from them. Eight years on the road and no signs of break ins. If you do instal the ring/gate hasps be careful not to drill into the wires that run inside of the door jam. Use a short drill. Glue a small piece of plastic on the door to keep the lock from rubbing the finish.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Locks take less than minute to pick. Lock pick sets readily availble on line along with instructions how to pick locks and it's easy to learn how. If crook wants it he will get it no matter what device you use. Good example, movie gone in 60 seconds. Google how to pick locks there are several sites that have u tube showing how to pick w/hair pin or paper clip. I don't advocate you doing this but you can see how easy it is for crooks to get any thing. There are several ways to open car doors easily, even if have cover over lock mech. inside door that slim jim won't work, coat hanger or stiff wire and screw driver, you can get into any vehicle. I have done this many times for people that locked themselves out. I will only do this if they have proper ID and proof of vehicle. If rental I will not unlock. Don't pm me how to do it, I won't tell you how unless I personally know you.....
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Have your dealer turn down the sensitivity. There is a small round knob on the sensor if you know where they stuck it. Takes about five seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
I got a DroneMobil too works well just need to keep up with the false alarms. Truck passing by. Train or motorcycle will trigger but also when somebody bumps it.
The alarm sticker alone is a deterrent I got it on both sides visible by approach as well a blue indicator light that it is on.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
On the tangental subject of personal security... why would anyone have issues with the topic of people defending themselves, with firearms or any other weapon? That makes no sense, whatsoever.

There are evil scumbags out there who place no value whatsoever on your well-being or your life and would snuff it out in an instant, under any circumstances playing out against their getting away with an evil intent.

Those, especially road travelers and those who camp in remote or secluded places, who don't recognize this and pay heed to it simply have their heads buried in the sand.

Who would recommend not being prepared to defend their life or the lives of their loved ones?

Weapons, especially firearms, help level a very unlevel playing field when law abiding citizens are confronted by law breaking evil doers who have no respect for you or your life.

I'll bet it would be a very rare gun control freak who wouldn't absolutely pray to have a firearm in his/her possession when unexpectedly finding themselves faced with evil-doers who would slit their throats in an instant, just to avoid being caught doing some evil deed against them.

When mere seconds make the difference between survival or death in a self-defense situation, the police are only about, oh, 20 minutes+ away? That is, if one even had the opportunity or time to call 911, once the threat was recognized.

People who can't/won't look after their own self-defense get what they get, when calling 911 just doesn't quite cut it in time to save their lives or the lives of their loved ones.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:17 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
On the tangental subject of personal security... why would anyone have issues with the topic of people defending themselves, with firearms or any other weapon? That makes no sense, whatsoever.
I don't have an issue with the topic— if that's what this thread was about. There are plenty of firearm-related threads scattered throughout the AirForums, and the subject has been done to death… so to speak.

My objection relates to the far-from-rare instances when a thread that wasn't originally about firearms for personal defense BECOMES one after the subject is broached, and the original topic— in this case security for unattended vehicles— is forgotten.