Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Vava dash cam has a magnetic attachment that allows you to aim it in any direction.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #62
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Make it look like an alarm

Viper makes a small flashing Viper 620V Viper Electro-Luminescent Logo Badge that can be used independently without an alarm system. About $17 each.

Sorry. The Badge is on the next page after the link above.

I had 2 of them in my Classic28, one near the door and one on the rear window. I connected them to 12v through a switch, but I usually just left them on all the time. They use negligible power. They flash the Viper logo and it appears that there is an alarm system in use.

I saved them when I sold the trailer, but I haven't got around to installing them on the AI yet. Maybe I'll get at least one installed before leaving for Big Bend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viper.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	302686  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #63
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Viper makes a small flashing Viper 620V Viper Electro-Luminescent Logo Badge that can be used independently without an alarm system. About $17 each.

Sorry. The Badge is on the next page after the link above.

I had 2 of them in my Classic28, one near the door and one on the rear window. I connected them to 12v through a switch, but I usually just left them on all the time. They use negligible power. They flash the Viper logo and it appears that there is an alarm system in use.

I saved them when I sold the trailer, but I haven't got around to installing them on the AI yet. Maybe I'll get at least one installed before leaving for Big Bend.
Link fixed to direct page.

Great idea. Getting a few.

But now I realize that the AI does not have an alarm... I thought it had some passive alarm system... So now to add an alarm to the to-do list...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:22 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
If you park after dark in the wrong part of Big Bend, you could post a sign warning that you have a nuclear warhead onboard, and it wouldn't count for diddly - you'll still be broken into. The NPS signs say "frequently" but when we were there last, the park staff was speaking the word "inevitably" in the context of vehicle break-ins.

Historically this risk has been highest in the Boquillas area. The only way to safely hike in Boquillas was to park in Rio Grande Village (the woefully inadequate campground) and hike (or catch a ride) over.

Now, whether this has improved since the installation of a formal border crossing - that I do not know. Border crossing all through Big Bend used to be accomplished by rolling up one's pant legs and putting one foot in front of the other through the river. Boquillas was an attempt to constrain some of the lawlessness in the area.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In 240,000 or so miles in a Class C and then the current Interstate over the past 14 or so years, we have never been broken into nor vandalized.

I am of the opinion, now traveling and camping in the Interstate in all of the lower 48 states, that this country is safe and hospitable in most situations.

Using reasonable safety sense and precautions will carry you thru most of the time, tho you can encounter a determined criminal or druggie, hell bent on entry to your vehicle, anywhere...they are just not everywhere, around any corner or lurking in every place you might happen to park.

Our Interstates are not easy to gain access to while locked, tho it can be done and may be especially inviting if electronics and valuables are left in plain sight.

Criminals want a sure thing, Doug always said...safe, quick and successful. He felt our tinted windows were a strong deterrent, in and of themselves, as the bad guys didn’t know if you were standing behind them and what might be in your hands.

If you regularly must park in high risk areas, you may need more security than the average bear.

Otherwise, use your common sense, take reasonable precautions, don’t be generally fearful of what and who is unfamiliar, and get out there and enjoy.

Most places are safe, and most people mean us no harm.

Maggie
Old 01-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
All Interstate-related personal security statements require a strong YMMV disclaimer attached to them.

Not only HAVE I been approached by criminals, I've had to deal with this as recently as fourth quarter 2017.

I have pictures. Photos that I took so that when I call the police, I can back up my reason for having summoned them. As in, voila - here's an image of the drug fiend who absolutely refused to leave me alone.

So far, the only technology that I have pointed at a criminal is my camera, but it would be foolish for me to dupe myself into believing that a camera is all that I'm ever going to require in order to discourage those who are hell-bent on robbery in particular.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were rather aggressively approached by a young man while fueling up at a gas station in NOLA some years back, in our car, who simply would not take no for an answer.

He never touched us or our vehicle, tried to get in it, etc., just persisted in violating personal space and insisting we give him “just a few dollars”...then laughing at our frustration that he wouldn’t shut up and/or leave our close proximity.

Although we were directly across from the police station, that didn’t deter him in the slightest, until I pulled the phone out and told him I was calling 911.

Still laughing, he walked away and we drove away.

One of the advantages with our Interstates is the ability to start the engine and leave a place that feels unsafe.

I haven’t had to do that, yet, but would if the need arose.

Maggie
Old 01-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Maggie you use the word "we" in that anecdote, and from that, I assume two things. Number one, you were with your late husband at the time, and number two, from reading other threads, I understand that your late husband carried a firearm. I can reasonably infer from this that the psychological profile you presented to your adversary was a strong one. Predators have one job, and in order to do it, they must be very good at reading the mind states of those with whom they come in contact. They only try to attack the strong in highly disordered situations (such as when they are really strung out on drugs) because the survival odds of doing so are not optimal. They mostly attack the weak.

Now, had you been alone in that situation, a female with no male partner and a reduced self-defense capability, it might have turned out differently.

My most recent (late 2017) confrontation took place in the parking lot of a well-known and "perceived safe" national chain restaurant in broad daylight. In other words, it was not one of my more unusual urban boondocking situations where one could reasonably infer that the odds of encountering a criminal might be higher. And it wasn't a particularly "bad" area of town - if it had been, the chain would not have located a restaurant there in the first place. Why did it happen? Partly wrong time wrong place, but other people were also present at that restaurant and they weren't targeted - I rose to the top of the local target desirability heap because I was driving an expensive-looking van and therefore must have stuff worth stealing.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, IB, my late husband was with me when that happened in NOLA, and he did carry a firearm, but he didn’t have to brandish it nor even threaten to do so....not then, nor at any other time in the 6 1/2 years and 144,000 miles we traveled the country together in our Interstate.

And, this guy was annoying but never threatening...there’s a difference.

I don’t carry a gun, have never felt a need for it and never intend to do so.

Now, if someone approached me who seemed high on drugs, psychotic, had a knife or gun in his/her hand or was otherwise threatening, I would of course fear for my safety and respond accordingly.

That has never happened in my 68 years, however...not to he and I, nor to me before he came along or since he died.

There’s also the Lily factor...a very big bark, big white teeth, and fiercely intimidating on a seconds notice. Anyone who meant me harm would have to kill her to get to me, tho she has never been intended for that purpose that’s just the dog she is.

I maintain the firm opinion and belief that this is a generally a safe country, and that most people mean us no harm.

I’m not saying there are not unsafe people and places out there, because of course there are...which is why we stay alert and aware and make decisions accordingly. You may run across one of these folks, but if you use common sense and good judgment it is unlikely, in my experience.

I worked for a living going into the worst parts of town, knocking on doors and going into strange homes...the housing projects and other areas where the criminal element congregates...dealing with felons of all types, drug dealers/users, child abusers, wife beaters, prostitutes, pole dancers and their pimps.

You name it, I’ve met them, and not once been harmed nor threatened.

I took the police with me at night...just common sense...and if that was indicated by the particular person I was visiting and the reason for that visit. On a few occasions, I did not go to their homes but required people come to my office...because common sense dictated that.

99% of the time, I went alone, smiling and saying hello to those I came across, and always passed safely in and out.

I do not fear people who don’t live, dress nor look like me. I don’t fear beggars nor homeless people, and this last trip spent a WalMart night just feet away from homeless people living in their cars.

I wasn’t afraid, but did feel somewhat embarrassed by my good fortune vs their situation. In the morning, I purchased gift cards, walked up to their windows, and passed them out, directly into their hands.

Seriously, unless where you live and choose to travel dictates it, don’t electronically arm your Interstate to the teeth, anticipating danger and harm around every corner.

It’s just not a realistic fear...in my opinion, and significant experience...and can affect ones overall experience.

Maggie
Old 01-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, you know, my point is that my considerable life experiences have not led me to believe that I need to be armed and/or have lots of security gadgets and gizmos...I have locks, thats it.

If one feels they need them, no harm done...just don’t let fear drive your decisions and enjoyment of traveling this beautiful country.

Maggie
Old 01-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Bayes theorem does not apply

If we were all rational risk assessors, we would apply the prior probability of crime (which is much lower than people commonly believe) and conclude that the posterior probability of harm in an apparently threatening situation is fairly low.

However, most humans seem hardwired by evolution to ignore the base rate when assessing conditional probabilities. (Is that a tiger in the bush? RUN! Better safe than sorry.) So in a problematic situation we feel anxious and vulnerable, not pleasant emotions even if all turns out OK. The anxiety is no less real and compelling.

For my part, I like having the means at hand to vigorously defend myself when something goes bump in the night. I feel much better, even if I never need to do so. I fully understand and share InterBlog's concerns.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
1977 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Yes, IB, my late husband was with me when that happened in NOLA, and he did carry a firearm, but he didn’t have to brandish it nor even threaten to do so....not then, nor at any other time in the 6 1/2 years and 144,000 miles we traveled the country together in our Interstate.

Now, if someone approached me who seemed high on drugs, psychotic, had a knife or gun in his/her hand or was otherwise threatening, I would of course fear for my safety and respond accordingly.

That has never happened in my 68 years, however...not to he and I, nor to me before he came along or since he died.

There’s also the Lily factor...a very big bark, big white teeth, and fiercely intimidating on a seconds notice. Anyone who meant me harm would have to kill her to get to me, tho she has never been intended for that purpose that’s just the dog she is.

I maintain the firm opinion and belief that this is a generally a safe country, and that most people mean us no harm.

I’m not saying there are not unsafe people and places out there, because of course there are...which is why we stay alert and aware and make decisions accordingly. You may run across one of these folks, but if you use common sense and good judgment it is unlikely, in my experience.

I worked for a living going into the worst parts of town, knocking on doors and going into strange homes...the housing projects and other areas where the criminal element congregates...dealing with felons of all types, drug dealers/users, child abusers, wife beaters, prostitutes, pole dancers and their pimps.

You name it, I’ve met them, and not once been harmed nor threatened.

I took the police with me at night...just common sense...and if that was indicated by the particular person I was visiting and the reason for that visit. On a few occasions, I did not go to their homes but required people come to my office...because common sense dictated that.

99% of the time, I went alone, smiling and saying hello to those I came across, and always passed safely in and out.

I do not fear people who don’t live, dress nor look like me. I don’t fear beggars nor homeless people, and this last trip spent a WalMart night just feet away from homeless people living in their cars.

I wasn’t afraid, but did feel somewhat embarrassed by my good fortune vs their situation. In the morning, I purchased gift cards, walked up to their windows, and passed them out, directly into their hands.

Seriously, unless where you live and choose to travel dictates it, don’t electronically arm your Interstate to the teeth, anticipating danger and harm around every corner.

It’s just not a realistic fear...in my opinion, and significant experience...and can affect ones overall experience.

Maggie
I want to let you know that is the most human, compasion filled balanced post I've seen in a long time.
PilotTyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #73
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I added a (nearly) comprehensive Viper alarm system (lacking only proximity sensors, which I hate) on my Interstate, for one very practical reason— Less than 16 hours (!) after I bought it, my Interstate was broken into, and the burlgar(s) used a crowbar, tire iron, or really big screwdriver to pry the Kenwood head unit out of the dashboard. Getting over $3000 worth of damage repaired before I had even driven my new acquisition a hundred miles was traumatic, and the alarm system was a knee-jerk reaction to the feeling of being victimized.

I've owned my Interstate for six years since then, and had no further trouble with burglars or vandals. But I still arm my Viper alarm system whenever I park my Interstate in a metro area— including at home. The alarm system cost me less than one year's worth of RV insurance, and gives me great peace of mind.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #74
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I added a (nearly) comprehensive Viper alarm system (lacking only proximity sensors, which I hate) on my Interstate, for one very practical reason— Less than 16 hours (!) after I bought it, my Interstate was broken into, and the burlgar(s) used a crowbar, tire iron, or really big screwdriver to pry the Kenwood head unit out of the dashboard. Getting over $3000 worth of damage repaired before I had even driven my new acquisition a hundred miles was traumatic, and the alarm system was a knee-jerk reaction to the feeling of being victimized.

I've owned my Interstate for six years since then, and had no further trouble with burglars or vandals. But I still arm my Viper alarm system whenever I park my Interstate in a metro area— including at home. The alarm system cost me less than one year's worth of RV insurance, and gives me great peace of mind.
Looking at also getting a Viper alarm. Looking at the different models and not really sure what to go with. Unsure if I want to tackle the install myself or leave this to an installer....
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think that how safe we feel we and our things are...be that in our rigs, our cars, a shopping mall, walking down the street, traveling by train, flying on an airplane, etc...depends most generally on our view of the world, and the people in it, that view being shaped by our life experiences.

There’s no right or wrong, here, only different perspectives and points of view on what, if any, and how much security is needed in any setting...for our personal selves, our homes, our rigs, cars, boats, whatever.

We’ve had threads on this particular topic before, and some feel a need to be armed and secured to the teeth...others, not so much.

I don’t have a home security system, nor one for my car or my Interstate, based on my world view...that with reasonable precautions and awareness, I am generally likely to be safe wherever I am.

There are different ways to look at anything, and it’s good to hear things from another perspective...in my opinion, for which I have no statistics to back up, , but my opinion just the same.

Maggie
Old 01-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Maggie for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

That has never happened in my 68 years, however...not to he and I, nor to me before he came along or since he died....

I’m not saying there are not unsafe people and places out there, because of course there are...which is why we stay alert and aware and make decisions accordingly. You may run across one of these folks, but if you use common sense and good judgment it is unlikely, in my experience....

I do not fear people who don’t live, dress nor look like me.... I don’t fear beggars nor homeless people, and this last trip spent a WalMart night just feet away from homeless people living in their cars.

Maggie
Wisdom and grace from Lily & Me. Thank you for this awesome post.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
In the military we use a composite risk matrix like this:

Basically I use this method to determine where I visit.

Crime:
1. Negligible - small vandalism etc.
2. Moderate - break-in/theft.
3. Critical - Violent crimes, physical assault.
4. Catastrophic - Murder.

You can see that even though murder may be rare and unlikely, some areas it can still be a moderate risk since the stakes are well, everything.

If you want to avoid most crime, avoid big cities and their surrounding areas. This is a great map to include in your trip planning:

http://nation.maps.arcgis.com/apps/O...f4cd840824eef3

Avoid areas amber or above.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
Thanks Zybane for info
old 10s bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Thanks, great link!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:15 PM   #80
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
We used that Risk Assessment matrix in the Corps of Engineers, too. Great tool for getting the most bang for your buck when undertaking any project. It doesn't just apply to death and destruction; you can use it for anything with a little bit of redefinition of the factors.

For example, renovating or modifying your Airstream— The improvements that will have the worst adverse impact on your trip if you don't do them are higher severity (leaves you stranded far from home might be most severe in this case, delays you an hour or two might be least severe). The improvements that will have an adverse impact most often if you don't do them are higher probability (affects every trip you make might be most probable, affects a trip once in a blue moon might be least probable). Rank all of the improvements you want to make, for both severity and probability if you don't do them, and see which ones have the highest risk associated with not doing them. Then if you can't afford to do everything at once, you can prioritize your projects on the items that have the highest risk levels (combined severity and probability). The low-risk items can wait until you have more time and money to tackle them.