Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Going back to the OP's original inspiration for this thread, the Wendlands have now published this update. They chose a security system that I don't recall being talked about in any of the Sprinter and B-Van Forum threads - something called Canary. Unfortunately it appears to be highly dependent on cellular coverage at both ends of the equation (in the Class B, and in the owner's pocket). However for those folks who do not venture far off-grid, this might be an option to consider. It looks like it would cost significantly less than the Viper systems.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Advanced RV now offers a dead-bolt system on all the doors:
http://www.advanced-rv.com/introducing-arv-bolt-secure/
But the fact remains anyone can break a window and gain entry that way.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Advanced RV now offers a dead-bolt system on all the doors:
http://www.advanced-rv.com/introducing-arv-bolt-secure/
But the fact remains anyone can break a window and gain entry that way.
Not surprisingly, they report being backlogged with orders. It appears from their website that they mostly install this equipment in their own custom sale units. And they can't really talk to you about potentially retrofitting the system unless you go see them in Cleveland. So that's a non-starter.

The Canary system shows promise but they need to migrate to a lithium-based battery for standalone performance. As I understand it, the Wendlands were broken into at high noon while parked in a strip center as they were eating lunch. They weren't on shore power at the time so they could not have used that system even if they had it at the time.

The Canary reminds me very much of my UE Boom portable speaker - it even looks like it. That does have a lithium battery and I really like it because I can take it and use it in multiple places. If the Canary ran on battery, I might buy it despite its cellular limitations because I would be able to use it in our home, in my daily driver (I work in some high-crime areas), and in our Interstate. Stuff has a way of getting a lot more cost-effective when it can serve multiple purposes. Maybe the next generation device will justify pulling the trigger on purchase.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Although there is nothing that will stop a determined thief, there are deterrents. One of the reasons I like my DroneMobile system is that even if a thief has a device to unlock the doors, the alarms will still trip, and immediately notify me if there has been a door opened. And if they want to spend seven minutes ransacking the vehicle with a 125db siren going off, they can be my guest. More likely, they will decide to move on. There is no way to turn it off for the thief once it's activated unless they do some very difficult searching. Since I also would receive an immediate text alert, and usually I'm never that far away I can check on the vehicle. If I would see someone inside I would call 911 (no reason to get killed over stuff). In Mike's case, seven minutes is a very long time to ransack the insides, and long enough for the cops to arrive, and what would seem like an even longer time if that siren is going off to the thief inside.

But the real value is the added piece of mind knowing the real time status of the vehicle. These RV's are like a magnet for thieves-that big Mercedes emblem tells them there likely stuff in there worth stealing.

Or alternatively, get a bigger and much meaner, dog.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Related comment:

The Wendlands originally reported that their insurance company didn't want to pay out after accusing them of leaving their doors unlocked. Advanced RV mentioned that in their video but attributed the unlocked state to an electronic override device used by the perps, rather than user error.

I don't know if anything was ever proven either way regarding who was responsible in their case, BUT, I will note that our T1N doors are surprisingly twitchy and not every attempt to lock results in an actual lock. My daily driver Toyota screams bloody murder if I attempt to lock it while something is interfering with a door. I mean, it shrieks - you can't miss it. In contrast, if a corner of a blanket gets wedged in the rear latch or something and the T1N door doesn't QUITE latch, it doesn't make a sound. So you press the lock on the fob and you assume that it locks. But it doesn't always.

For this reason we applied an administrative control in which we always manually test at least one door handle to ensure that it actually locked.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Name of the insurance company

In reading this thread, I didn't notice who the insurance company was...
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #47
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The very best theft deterent is psychological terror.

Place a warning that the owners of this coach suffer from a malady such as HIV/AIDS, Shingles/Herpes, Malaria or Denge Fever and the owners of this trailer/coach will accept no liability for an unintended infection due to trespassing, as you have been warned. If you can, try and use an official Red Cross letter head, or something that looks official. Remember to use the biological contamination symbol.

Please take warning down when crossing international borders.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Images

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #48
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Place a warning that the owners of this coach suffer from a malady such as HIV/AIDS, Shingles/Herpes, Malaria or Denge Fever and the owners of this trailer/coach will accept no liability for an unintended infection due to trespassing, as you have been warned. If you can, try and use an official Red Cross letter head, or something that looks official. Remember to use the biological contamination symbol.
That can backfire if you're ever in a traffic accident and need medical attention…
Old 03-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
The very best theft deterent is psychological terror.

Please take warning down when crossing international borders.

Cheers
Tony

You think a "smash & grab" criminal will read a warning sign?

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

In contrast, if a corner of a blanket gets wedged in the rear latch or something and the T1N door doesn't QUITE latch, it doesn't make a sound. So you press the lock on the fob and you assume that it locks. But it doesn't always.
Does yours flash the lites when locking/unlocking? If so, do they still flash on an unsuccessful lock?

My locks are loud enuf that I can hear them lock/unlock if within 20'. Also flashes lites three times on a lock.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:32 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That can backfire if you're ever in a traffic accident and need medical attention…
Could also backfire if it leads certain perps to believe that there are useful meds in the vehicle, which would increase break-in risk. Oxycontin has a far higher street value than a 2-year-old iPad.

This can be a serious issue with stick-and-brick houses in small communities where it becomes common knowledge that someone is ill. Some years back, I had an elderly relative in the final stages of his life but still able to live at home for a time, and naturally he was prescribed narcotics. Family members were afraid that the local junkies would put two and two together and that there would be a home invasion, as sometimes occurs in those scenarios.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Does yours flash the lites when locking/unlocking? If so, do they still flash on an unsuccessful lock?

My locks are loud enuf that I can hear them lock/unlock if within 20'. Also flashes lites three times on a lock.
They flash when successful, but there is a potential failure pathway: exiting the side door, which always happens when I have the dog with me and/or a day pack on my back and am concentrating out outward affairs. If I'm standing at the side running board, I don't always notice as consciously whether lights ten feet away in either direction and somewhat 'round the corners have flashed. If I've driven into the storage locker and am locking the vehicle prior to pulling down the garage door, sure - it becomes a no-brainer because I've no choice but to stare directly at the rear end. But in many scenarios, the locking is not loud enough to hear, and the lights are difficult to see. So I have gotten into the habit of confirming by trying the door handle.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
The locks on the TIN Interstate will give two locking sounds if not locked, the first is the normal locking sound the second locking sound is "unlocking" the doors. A double click means the door is ajar. Also the door light on the dash is lit red arrow when the door is ajar. The ultimate test as Interblog says is test a door handle. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:58 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
The locks on the TIN Interstate will give two locking sounds if not locked, the first is the normal locking sound the second locking sound is "unlocking" the doors. A double click means the door is ajar. Also the door light on the dash is lit red arrow when the door is ajar. The ultimate test as Interblog says is test a door handle. AEW
You are no doubt correct and I just never consciously internalized that, because as I was writing the former reply, I was thinking to myself, "I'm almost sure that it makes noise either way, but I can't swear to it."

The ergonomics are not what they could be, as either noise response tends to lead to the conclusion that the locks did, in fact, throw. If there is background noise, then I wouldn't be sure whether I heard one click or two.

Plus the law of unintended consequences enters in. After having driven a Toyota for the past 18 years, the brain automatically generalizes, "vehicle with locking problem will alert with a scream" when of course it's not true.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:36 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
In reading this thread, I didn't notice who the insurance company was...
If your asking about the Wendland's insurance company, I don't believe they ever named the company. I used to listen to their pod cast and when they talked about this event they never mentioned the insurance company they were dealing with.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
I leave one of my Protection-trained German Shepherds out in the AI cabin when I am out and about. It seems to work very well. 😏

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Here's my protection.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1457206755.607667.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	258200

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My Aussie and have lots of insurance...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 25' Globetrotter
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Depere , Wisconsin
I use a meshare camera and a t-mobile hotspot. I can keep track of my english lab as well as a possible intruder. My iPhone can provide live video with sound and/or alerts trigger by sound or motion. I do not have an alarm because of the dog and the piercing sound. Works ok for me. You must be careful of data usage on the hotspot but on a recent 6 week trip I used less then 7mb. My hot spot cost $30 and the camera $100
summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:14 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwood View Post
I use a meshare camera and a t-mobile hotspot. I can keep track of my english lab as well as a possible intruder. My iPhone can provide live video with sound and/or alerts trigger by sound or motion. I do not have an alarm because of the dog and the piercing sound. Works ok for me. You must be careful of data usage on the hotspot but on a recent 6 week trip I used less then 7mb. My hot spot cost $30 and the camera $100
Looks somewhat similar to the Canary but still needs AC power.

I wish the market would come up with a system that could be used as both monitor and dash cam in one. One device, two modes. Now that would be small space living.