Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2024, 06:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
San Marcos , California
USB plugs in 2022 Interstate 24x

I have made myself a nice mobile office in my 24X but all my devices are modern USB C devices that could use a lot more than the dinky outputs on the older USB plugs.

Can these be modified? I dont mean just making them USBC but rather can i get a new XWY (inverter)? Which would allow me to fee more power to these USB plugs and then upgrad them to USBC? I need to power a USB monitor, which will then power my iPad Pro and all my phone charging/watch charging devices.

I dont mind spending money - I got a good deal, this will be a mobile office and i want to be neat, not wire mess and self-sufficient interms of battery.

Yes, i have a generator but i work odd hours (late and early) and would like to NOT rely on the generator if I am in noise restricted areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1289.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	444505  
Jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyl View Post
I have made myself a nice mobile office in my 24X but all my devices are modern USB C devices that could use a lot more than the dinky outputs on the older USB plugs.

Can these be modified? I dont mean just making them USBC but rather can i get a new XWY (inverter)? Which would allow me to fee more power to these USB plugs and then upgrad them to USBC? I need to power a USB monitor, which will then power my iPad Pro and all my phone charging/watch charging devices.

I dont mind spending money - I got a good deal, this will be a mobile office and i want to be neat, not wire mess and self-sufficient interms of battery.

Yes, i have a generator but i work odd hours (late and early) and would like to NOT rely on the generator if I am in noise restricted areas.
You don't need a new inverter. Just install some additional 12VDC USB C Socket Outlets, like those linked below from Amazon. Just wire them into a spare fuse on the 12VDC Power Distribution panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Newest-Pack-5...dp/B09PDBWWDR/

https://www.amazon.com/Gibbab-Automo...CTJRHG2B/?th=1
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 11:06 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
San Marcos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You don't need a new inverter. Just install some additional 12VDC USB C Socket Outlets, like those linked below from Amazon. Just wire them into a spare fuse on the 12VDC Power Distribution panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Newest-Pack-5...dp/B09PDBWWDR/

https://www.amazon.com/Gibbab-Automo...CTJRHG2B/?th=1
How stupid of me, of course it is that simple. Now i am off to figure out where i can fish wires in this thing and finding commercial quality USB C plugs.

Thank you so much.
Old 06-21-2024, 01:49 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Winter Garden , Florida
I used the existing USB wires in our 2016 unit. cut the old USB outlets off the existing wire, and since I don't need more than 5 amps DC, which is how those wires were already fused, I simply connected them to a USB C outlet device that fits into the same hole. Only thing I don't like is that the new USB C outlet device has a blue LED to let me know it's powered on. Super-annoying at night when I'm charging phones, etc., so I just drape something over it and go to sleep anyway. Otherwise, it works great! If you need more DC amperage than that, I'd definitely suggest wiring your USB C outlets separately and fuse them as has been suggested above to handle the additional current demand.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 10:06 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
San Marcos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I used the existing USB wires in our 2016 unit. cut the old USB outlets off the existing wire, and since I don't need more than 5 amps DC, which is how those wires were already fused, I simply connected them to a USB C outlet device that fits into the same hole. Only thing I don't like is that the new USB C outlet device has a blue LED to let me know it's powered on. Super-annoying at night when I'm charging phones, etc., so I just drape something over it and go to sleep anyway. Otherwise, it works great! If you need more DC amperage than that, I'd definitely suggest wiring your USB C outlets separately and fuse them as has been suggested above to handle the additional current demand.
I am not sure how much amperage QC ĺ uses or how much a laptop takes. I suspect I will be running a new wire.

Do you have a name or brand of usb plugs? I was hoping to find a direct replacement for the 4 usb plugs that sit in a standard wall plate.

Thanks so much.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
WALNUT CREEK , California
You are going to need something like this to take a 12V input and transform it to something that has the power to run a laptop. This incorporates a real buck-boost transformer, not some tiny pc board thing that generates 5w of power. I used the 75w version and that works fine for a single laptop, which came with a 61w power brick as I recall.

https://www.coolgear.com/chargeit-minis

I used to have a charger with a usb c cord that plugged into a cigarette lighter socket that put out enough power to charge my MacBook pro, but that was janky and would slip out of the socket and stop charging. I needed something more reliable and so just added this unit wired directly to the 12V source with a robust wire. I tucked it inside the dinette cabinet and then installed a panel mount charging outlet in the face of the bench for a clean installation.

https://www.coolgear.com/product/usb...tallations-3ft

Now I can work at the table with the charging cord plugged in and the laptop or iPad charging.
jmickow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 11:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
San Marcos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmickow View Post
You are going to need something like this to take a 12V input and transform it to something that has the power to run a laptop. This incorporates a real buck-boost transformer, not some tiny pc board thing that generates 5w of power. I used the 75w version and that works fine for a single laptop, which came with a 61w power brick as I recall.

https://www.coolgear.com/chargeit-minis

I used to have a charger with a usb c cord that plugged into a cigarette lighter socket that put out enough power to charge my MacBook pro, but that was janky and would slip out of the socket and stop charging. I needed something more reliable and so just added this unit wired directly to the 12V source with a robust wire. I tucked it inside the dinette cabinet and then installed a panel mount charging outlet in the face of the bench for a clean installation.

https://www.coolgear.com/product/usb...tallations-3ft

Now I can work at the table with the charging cord plugged in and the laptop or iPad charging.
This may be a dumb question - can I disconnect the wire running to my 4 usb a ports and wire it to something like this?

I am assuming the 4 port usb a receptacle has been wired to its own fuse in the main panel. If not, I can replace with a higher amperage breaker.

[Upgraded Version] 12V USB Outlet Qidoe 78W 3 Port USB C 12V Outlet Dual PD 30W & 18W USB A Port with Voltmeter Lengthened Aluminum Body Switch Waterproof USB Car Charger Socket for Car Boat Marine RV

https://a.co/d/02k0ENLD

I realize this might not be up to the official standard of QC3 and fast charging protocols but they seem to work.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:16 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Browns Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyl View Post
This may be a dumb question - can I disconnect the wire running to my 4 usb a ports and wire it to something like this?

I am assuming the 4 port usb a receptacle has been wired to its own fuse in the main panel. If not, I can replace with a higher amperage breaker.

[Upgraded Version] 12V USB Outlet Qidoe 78W 3 Port USB C 12V Outlet Dual PD 30W & 18W USB A Port with Voltmeter Lengthened Aluminum Body Switch Waterproof USB Car Charger Socket for Car Boat Marine RV

https://a.co/d/02k0ENLD

I realize this might not be up to the official standard of QC3 and fast charging protocols but they seem to work.

The USB outlet you linked to is rated at 10amps. If the circuit you are going to utilize is 10amps are more, then you should be fine. If it's less than 10amps, you not only need to upgrade the fuse or breaker, you'll need to check the gauge of the wires and make sure they are rated for the amperage you need.
JimMartin is offline   Reply With Quote