Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thumbs up

I have completed the upgrade to the Victron 100/30 charge controller and BMV-712 battery monitor. I was able to package the controller in the electronics bay along with the shunt. Will attach pictures. Also, I was able to reuse the factory 8 wire RJ45 cable from the Atkins for the Victron by purchasing RJ12 (6P/6C) modular plugs and re-terminating the cable after cutting off the RJ45 plugs. This opens up the possible products beyond the Regony. I did not have to pull a new cable.

This is a picture of the shunt for the BMV
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2765.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	303106

This is a picture of the Charge controller located on the back of the close out panel. I had to relocate a couple of wires for clearance.

Name:	IMGP2766.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	303107

And Finally the display for the BMV. I used a metal cover plate and used a hole saw to cut out the opening for the display. I will likely paint the white cover to something more attractive.

Name:	IMGP2767.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	303108

Thanks for all the help and support
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Swilly no pictures, but very interested in seeing the install as I have the part and waiting to install it.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Now you got them. Thanks
Old 01-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #64
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

swilly43,

Great idea reusing the cable and just redoing the ends with RJ12 connectors.

Very clean install!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yeah.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	303117  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
swilly43,

Great idea reusing the cable and just redoing the ends with RJ12 connectors.

Very clean install!
+1

Wish I'd thought of that, then I'd be one of the "cool Victron kids" too....

Actually, my Renogy has surpassed my expectations, and for $170 all in, I'm very satisfied with it.

Using this method does open up the entire spectrum of MPPT controllers though, so a great big kuddos to swilly43 for that.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:37 AM   #66

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
+1

Wish I'd thought of that, then I'd be one of the "cool Victron kids" too....

Actually, my Renogy has surpassed my expectations, and for $170 all in, I'm very satisfied with it.

Using this method does open up the entire spectrum of MPPT controllers though, so a great big kuddos to swilly43 for that.
Wished I had thought of that as well... not sure now if I can use both the Bluetooth and the wired monitor... I was thinking of just keeping an old iPhone as the display unit in the AI.

Also to report that everything seems to be working fine and the batteries seem to be holding well... all this past week I have left the AI unplugged and just letting whatever sunlight (it has been very cloudy all week) keep the batteries charged. All this in preparation for when I need to move it to a storage facility (parking space at a storage facility, not plugged in, out in the sun).

These have been the readings... all taken before the sun comes up and after sunset... basically when it is dark and there is no energy coming from the panels. Red/house switch off

Jan 25 AM - 13.08 volts / PM 13.20 volts
Jan 26 AM - 13.08 volts / PM 13.20 volts
Jan 27 AM - 13.12 volts / PM 13.12 volts (drove to window film install and panels were cover during 4th panel install)
Jan 28 AM - 13.12 volts / PM 13.19 volts
Jan 29 AM - 13.12 volts / PM 13.19 volts
Jan 30 AM - 13.12 volts / PM 13.12 volts
Jan 31 AM - 13.04 volts
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1291.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	303302  
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-31-2018, 05:56 AM   #67

Orlando , Florida
Question

I need to improve my reading skills...

@swilly43,

You are using a BMV-712 Smart. And that is also Bluetooth enabled. Why this one over the MPPT Control panel? Does one supersedes the other??

Are you also using a battery balancer?

Sorry for so many questions. Trying to understand your install and the benefits of that control panel... since we are both using the same solar charger controller...
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Also to report that everything seems to be working fine and the batteries seem to be holding well...
Are those readings for the house or chassis? Just curious.....
Old 01-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #69

Orlando , Florida
Red face

Quote:
Are those readings for the house or chassis? Just curious.....
Ashamed to say that I do not know ... whatever is measured by the Victron... I am just taking those numbers off their app
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Ashamed to say that I do not know ... whatever is measured by the Victron... I am just taking those numbers off their app
Well, if the BIM/ACR (can't remember if you did that mod) was open, then it was the house. If it was closed, then it was a combo of both. I always check my house and chassis voltage at the tank monitor panel. They're almost always the same unless I go visit the coach early in the morning, in which case the chassis has dropped a bit and the evil BIM hasn't allowed the solar to charge it up yet. I really need to replace that thing.....
Old 01-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #71

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Well, if the BIM/ACR (can't remember if you did that mod) was open, then it was the house. If it was closed, then it was a combo of both. I always check my house and chassis voltage at the tank monitor panel. They're almost always the same unless I go visit the coach early in the morning, in which case the chassis has dropped a bit and the evil BIM hasn't allowed the solar to charge it up yet. I really need to replace that thing.....
I did the Blue Sea ACR and, so far, always keep it in the auto position...
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-31-2018, 11:22 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
I did the Blue Sea ACR and, so far, always keep it in the auto position...
If your solar panels were getting enough sun, then the ACR would have been closed and that reading would have been a combo of both house and chassis. I'm assuming you connected your Victron charge controller to the DC bus under the driver side jump seat....basically the same place that the old Atkinson was connected. Since the ACR sits between that bus and the chassis battery, open = house, closed = both. The neat thing about the ACR is you can force it open with the switch so if you just want to see what one bank is up to, flip the switch to the open position and check the voltages (Main and Aux) at the tank monitor panel.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #73

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
If your solar panels were getting enough sun, then the ACR would have been closed and that reading would have been a combo of both house and chassis. I'm assuming you connected your Victron charge controller to the DC bus under the driver side jump seat....basically the same place that the old Atkinson was connected. Since the ACR sits between that bus and the chassis battery, open = house, closed = both. The neat thing about the ACR is you can force it open with the switch so if you just want to see what one bank is up to, flip the switch to the open position and check the voltages (Main and Aux) at the tank monitor panel.
Yes, I did the full install as per installation manual. If you recall, the challange was running those two additional wires from the back to the front switch location . Did that and installed as per instructions...
WBCCI #26769
Old 02-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #74

Orlando , Florida
Just as I like to report the good... must report the bad... The Bluetooth dongle from Victron is acting up... I have a full on blue light which is telling me that it is connected... well, it is not.. and I can't see the status of the Solar system...

I have the fridge on and was monitoring battery consumption... all of a sudden the phone can't see the solar controller...

Pretty sure that if I unplug and plug the dongle it should reset. Problem is that there is no access to it. I would have to take the whole front cover apart again to get to it...

This is it... I will not be dealing with this for long. Next chance I get (meaning, when the wife let's me buy stuff again, lol) I am getting the wired monitor and will do what swilly43 did and hardwire a display in place...
WBCCI #26769
Old 02-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Just as I like to report the good... must report the bad... The Bluetooth dongle from Victron is acting up... I have a full on blue light which is telling me that it is connected... well, it is not.. and I can't see the status of the Solar system...

I have the fridge on and was monitoring battery consumption... all of a sudden the phone can't see the solar controller...

Pretty sure that if I unplug and plug the dongle it should reset. Problem is that there is no access to it. I would have to take the whole front cover apart again to get to it...

This is it... I will not be dealing with this for long. Next chance I get (meaning, when the wife let's me buy stuff again, lol) I am getting the wired monitor and will do what swilly43 did and hardwire a display in place...
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I hate to say it, but that's EXACTLY why I went with a wired monitor. I didn't want the hassle of having to use my phone, rely on Bluetooth, etc.

Please report back once you do the "swilly mod (TM)" (that's right swilly, I'm making you famous because that's a really clever solution!).
Old 02-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

wachuko I ordered the Victron 100/30 the smart version with built in Bluetooth capability. I have not installed it yet, but after seeing the latest install with the modified existing cable I hope to do the same with mine. Reading the manual it seems to say it is possible to connect directly to a control and Bluetooth out to my phone with their app as well. That is, it seems not to be an either or but a dual capability. is that the way you understand it? If so, we just need to buy the additional component, Mount it, modify the existing cable and connect the two.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Wow, Famous! Yes, I like the "swilly mod" TM. Ha
I find that using both the display and Bluetooth are useful and the two apps (one for BMV and one for the controller) give you different information. I have found the connectivity to be about 90% reliable. Just close the app and start over fixes it Takes a few seconds. I have not done the zero current calibration yet. Trying to figure out how to do that without disconnecting anything since I can only get the parasitic down to .3 A. The other thing is I can't figure out how to reset the statistics.
I just put in new Lifelines and they are a world improvement over the dead ones that came with the coach, surprise and relief. I will be adding at least 100W of solar and thinking to put up a rigid panel instead of the flex. The added weight is the only think holding me back. Any comments on swaying with an additional 25-50 lbs. on the roof? There seems to be a 20 lb weight penalty over the flex panel. We used the coach this weekend boon docking at Anza Borrego. Still had a bit of battery anxiety but this is much reduced. We ran the fridge all night and not many lights and used about 40 AH. Well within my comfort zone. Ran the genny a bit just to see how easy it was to put back in. One last thing, seeing those positive amps on the Victron display with either the solar or genny is soooooothing!
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #78

Orlando , Florida
I could not leave it alone... went in, unplugged and plugged back in... working again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6BDAB2AB-6710-436F-8D27-76EA252A856A.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	304043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1382.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	304049  

Name:	IMG_1386.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	304050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	304052  

WBCCI #26769
Old 02-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #79

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
wachuko I ordered the Victron 100/30 the smart version with built in Bluetooth capability. I have not installed it yet, but after seeing the latest install with the modified existing cable I hope to do the same with mine. Reading the manual it seems to say it is possible to connect directly to a control and Bluetooth out to my phone with their app as well. That is, it seems not to be an either or but a dual capability. is that the way you understand it? If so, we just need to buy the additional component, Mount it, modify the existing cable and connect the two.
Very cool. I got the older version without the integrated Bluetooth...So I do not have that dual ability. To be able to do that I need to order the display that has Bluetooth so that I can have ability to check via my phone or via display in the AI.

At least I got it back working now...
WBCCI #26769
Old 02-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #80

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I hate to say it, but that's EXACTLY why I went with a wired monitor. I didn't want the hassle of having to use my phone, rely on Bluetooth, etc.

Please report back once you do the "swilly mod (TM)" (that's right swilly, I'm making you famous because that's a really clever solution!).
No way this expense will pass by the wife without notice... so this mod, just a guesstimate... next year
WBCCI #26769