Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Twin versus Lounge...Pros and Cons

I own a 2014.5 Lounge extended

But....if I knew that the twins also can turn into one big bed, I would have gotten the twin.

I like the idea of being able to walk in and out of the back.

Does anyone have reasons for me where the lounge as advantages other than the obvious?

I guess it's a personal choice either way but I do think the twin has a cleaner look.

We never put the table in the back for eating.

Thanks
Glamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:20 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper1 View Post
Does anyone have reasons for me where the lounge as advantages other than the obvious?
I don't know about new twin-bed models, but in late 2011 when I bought mine, the twin bed model sacrificed some storage— namely the big overhead compartment in the rear, to provide full stand-up headroom all the way to the rear doors.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
I absolutely hate the lounge... I have a good topper but I'm kind of like the princess and the pea. I feel every lump... I wish I could convert mine to something more comfy!

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The twin beds are quite comfortable but I think the design is lacking. What I'd like to see is a sort of J-shaped single on each side, with a headboard and lumbar supports so that you can still use them for lounging.
I like lounging at the back: it's more comfortable than up front where you're exposed to the openness of the cab windows and the excessive heat. The back is much more private.
But I agree that the lounge doesn't make a comfortable bed.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
I absolutely hate the lounge... I have a good topper but I'm kind of like the princess and the pea. I feel every lump... I wish I could convert mine to something more comfy!
The most noticeable lumps are the upholstered boards on the aft side of each side-facing seat. They're just too tall. So I removed the boards and just exercise a bit of caution when using the side seats as seats, so I don't get anything caught in the mechanism. But the bed is so much more comfortable with those boards gone!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I have a 2014.5 lounge and definitely plan to go for the twin in my next motorhome. I like the lounge for the following reasons:
  1. It's more comfortable. Even if the standard mattress that comes with the RV is too firm or soft, they are easily changed out. I can also add a topper easily.
  2. It makes it easier to get up at night without climbing over your partner.
  3. I don't have to make up the bed each day. Because the lounge is so uncomfortable, I have to use a topper. Storing and putting out the topper each night is a pain. I just want to make the bed and go.
  4. If you leave the lounge made up, it's hard to reach the storage in the back without climbing on the bed.
  5. The new twin models have above head storage and a fair amount of storage underneath them.

The one downside to the twin that I see is that I will lose the generous storage place that's underneath the lounge. I can hide a ton of stuff back there and it's out of sight. I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit these larger items underneath the twin beds. Of course, there's a lot of wide open space in the back of the twin too, but I'd have to see these things versus them being hidden. I wish the twins had headboards so you can still use the back space to hide and store items.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by migriffin View Post
I wish the twins had headboards so you can still use the back space to hide and store items.
Sounds like you have your first owner-installed modification, right there, custom-built headboards.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

Biggest reason for me was the four (five if you delete the cabinet over the curb side seat) extra seats. Also the across the back overhead storage is nice. The storage under the side seats comes in handy for blanket, bedding, and any other soft goods.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Basking Ridge , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Biggest reason for me was the four (five if you delete the cabinet over the curb side seat) extra seats. Also the across the back overhead storage is nice. The storage under the side seats comes in handy for blanket, bedding, and any other soft goods.

The other thing I've used the side seat storage on the lounge for is rolls of foil, plastic wrap, etc and canned goods on their side

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I converted the lounge bed into a U-shaped twin to make it easier to get in and out of the bed. It's the best mod I've made to my Interstate.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We have the older (2007) version of the jack-knife couches (analogous to two twins) that come together in the middle to form one queen-sized bed. They are completely comfortable as-is; we carry no extra padding.

Since buying our Interstate as newbies, we've been in other Interstates both older and newer, and I find both the lounge version and the mid-bed versions to be claustrophobic. Of course it's a personal preference, but I can't imagine not being able to walk straight out the back door, or to sit at the table with the back doors thrown open and a floor-to-ceiling unobstructed view.

The lounge model does have more storage space, but to my way of thinking, that gain doesn't count for much if you have to consume a lot of it to store bulky extra bedding to achieve basic comfort. Those owners who have the overhead cabinets across the back seem to like them a lot, but again I find it claustrophobic, and I find that the space reduction can be resolved with clever planning in other areas.

One possible "pro" associated with the twin / jack-knife configurations is that they *might* have slightly higher re-sale value simply because they seem to be more rare. Lounge models are a dime a dozen, and mid-bed older models are not challenging to find. But in the past 10 months, I've only found one jack-knife model in the resale market that I would have considered buying. If a buyer decides that's the config they want, they are probably going to have to pay top dollar to get it.

A lot preference develops within the context of intended use of the vehicle. Class B full-timers tend to be much more willing to sacrifice aesthetics and breathing room for storage. This is true of the Sprinter Life blogging family and also Brent Rose, the Gizmodo writer who just kicked off his year-long T1N Sprinter living experience. Both of them have the elevated, permanent rear queen beds that are reported to provide maximum sleeping comfort. It's a configuration that, of course, also permits the maximum possible toy haulage, but which has me cringing for the sardine-can type effect. But maybe if I were a full-timer, I'd get over myself. If you haven't seen that particular config of Sprinter (which Airstream does not offer), here's Brent's three-minute tour:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Darn I want a twin now.
I bought my 2014.5 new for 116,000 and got a 2,000 rebate.
I could probably sell it for 110,000
Hmmmm
Old 07-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Darn I want a twin now.
I bought my 2014.5 new for 116,000 and got a 2,000 rebate.
I could probably sell it for 110,000
Hmmmm
Hey Glamper. I already looked at trading in my 2014.5. The best trade in value I got from anyone (tried 7 dealers) was $90K. That was 6 months ago. I couldn't swallow losing that much value in less than a year so I kept it. I paid $129K for mine, though, so it was a tougher pill to swallow. Who did you buy from at that price? I need to consider them next time.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Boxster, can you be more specific about what you changed? I've considered trying to make fold down twins in my 2013 but there is too much infrastructure below the bed to complicate it.

Brian
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Twin versus Lounge...Pros and Cons

I bought at Lazy Days in Touson, Az.

I waited til the end of 2014 and at that time, got exactly what I wanted.
Now I may customize the rear section to twins that still turn into a queen but with different upholstery for a unique look and feel.
That way I still have the storage above the existing lounge couch.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
That way I still have the storage above the existing lounge couch.

From what I see in the recent videos, the latest twin bed models do use the large overhead rear locker.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #17
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
So with the twin, can you seat people back there while in motion?

Or is the reas seating in the lounge such a rough ride that nobody wants to sit back there anyway?
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie39j View Post
So with the twin, can you seat people back there while in motion? No, no seat belts.

Or is the reason seating in the lounge such a rough ride that nobody wants to sit back there anyway? Probably

See bold red.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Depends on where you're driving. 22 states have seat belt laws for RVs that require every passenger be belted in. The other 28 states only require front-seat passengers be belted in.

However, of those 28 states, 26 require minors be belted in anywhere in the vehicle. So adults could ride on the twin beds in 28 states, but kids could only ride on the twin beds in Alabama and Arkansas.

See: Things You Need To Know About RV Seat Belt Laws

Caveat: I don't know when was the last time the linked website was last updated, so the information may be out-of-date.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

Or is the reas seating in the lounge such a rough ride that nobody wants to sit back there anyway?

As others pointed out there are no seat belts for the twin beds. That's why I converted my lounge bed to a U-shaped twin arrangement. I just finished a 6 week road trip with this arrangement and it worked great. I only gave up the one side facing rear seat on the drivers side to make the conversion. I still have belted seats for six people. It's the best of both layouts for my use.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote