Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
TV Removal

Just two weeks to go until I pick up my 2018 as a new to Airstream dude. I am going to try and not drive everyone crazy with too many questions!

Here is one though. I want to remove both tv's from front and back. I never watch TV and will use my laptop or iPad to access any games, news, movies etc.

The dealer said it's fine and that their guys can do it and box them for me to store. However, I am curious, I never saw how they were mounted and if it will leave unsightly holes or whatever there. I have seen in the small spaces living thread here that people put organizers up where they removed the TV (which I really like!) and wondering if they are also hiding something behind them?
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Yes. There will be mounting holes to cover creatively.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I can't help you on the removal of the tvs but want to commend you on being a non tv person.
Why people would want to go camping and bring that idiot box along is mind boggling to me.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
OP - ask away! You sound - rightly - psyched about your new adventure! Folks here are very helpful. Bbandeddie already answered your question. Your idea of putting organizers in their place is good. Just watch out for screw depth with the walls...ask me how I know [emoji3]

Ultradog - I hear you - however, submitted for your consideration ....

- some people enjoy starting the day with news (though honestly, I'm questioning that practice more and more)

- the majority of time is spent outside. However, when ready to pack it in for the night, catching an episode of The Twilight Zone, or Columbo, or The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad, or the Dick Van Dyke Show, or the Carol Burnette show or any other binge-worthy DVD series is a pretty fun way to end the day.

- for some - if they're on an extended multi-day trip and the weather doesn't cooperate and you can't take, say, your bloodhound out in triple digit weather and humidity or torrential downpours - well, those aforementioned DVDs can come in handy...

Not naming names - not suggesting it's right for everyone, but for some, it's a good utilitarian tool to have for limited occasions....

(Backing away whistling.....)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Removing the front tv will leave screw holes in the laminate. You can order color matched caulk for your laminate which will minimize visibility of the screw holes.

The rear TV bracket is bolted to insets in the cabinet. These holes are larger. We are investigating a product called Fastcaps which are disks with adhesive in either wood veneer or plastic in solids or wood patterns. Our first try wasn’t a great match to the laminate, but we intend to test a few more colors.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I removed the rear TV and replaced it with a nice-sized magazine holder from Staples. One hole from the TV was used for the new addition and the other holes were covered.

I put the front TV on an arm so that I can drop it down to watch it comfortably from the second row seats.

We do not "camp." We travel and vacation and stay in RV parks or with family. The TV is great to have to pass the evenings.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
These are great suggestions and I am sorry if this became an idea of anti-tv. I am not. I just really prefer my iPad and choosing my content as I wish during those moments when inner growth is not the priority...like when I am in Terre Haute at a Walmart parking lot and on the way to Idaho and want to watch Hockey.

And, I know those damn things will be in the way constantly with my 6-3 210 pound strappin' frame.

I appreciate the input from everyone and this helps a lot with expectations that there will be holes but they can be covered. With that I will have them both removed and look for organizer racks like the person posted in Small Space Living here. Which reminds me, I need to post a comment there and ask where they got them!
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
No worries - not pro or anti TV. There isn't a right or wrong way to do any of this. Camp and be happy! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
To TV or Not to TV, That is a hell of a question??????

Everyone has their own idea's here. Everyone has a different life style, wants, needs and motives. I think what you are really looking for is what some others do so you can make a good business decision for your life style.

I humble, but not always right, advice is don't remove the TV's when taking delivery. Leave them in and make sure the work properly. To help you with how tall you are I can let you know I am NOT tall, I am portly which means wide (To many pizza's I am afraid). So here I go again......

When driving, leave the front and back TV's in a locked position. When camping unlock the bedroom TV and place on the wall so it does not obstruct your walk way. I use my ipad also but I have a Apple TV hooked up for streaming movies, music, games, ECT. The neat thing about new and some older Airstream Interstates is the 4 by 4 switcher box. That means four inpute line in and four output lines. I use a mobile Wifi and or the signal from RV parks (The signals from most RV parks is terrible and the Mobile Wifi can be spotty).

Since you are using phone and or Ipad, you are using cell data anyway. My real concern for you is the dealer. They seem not to be able to do a quality delivery most of the time. So to ask them to remove ANY thing is not a good practice. You can always do it later and you can do it better then the dealer i assure you.

Just my two cents.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
And, I know those damn things will be in the way constantly with my 6-3 210 pound strappin' frame.
EYECHIP - I do watch a lot of TV (news, documentaries, and sports) when at home. But whenever we are camping, I never really find time to watch TV probably because we are doing stuff outside during most of our waking hours. But with grandkids, I could not remove them as they keep them pre-occupied during the long drives.

I did replace the rear with a smaller one because the original TVs they put in back are too big & stick out too far into the aisle. Keep hitting it and grandson's head is at same level as bottom corner of TV. And I modified the articulating mount down to a basic flat mount to reduce weight & bulk.

I am almost a foot shorter than you and I still hit my head on the front TV. I know at your height (son-in-law is same height) you will slam your head on it many times. That's why I will pull it out and put the smaller TV that came from rear into the front. The smaller one keeps the bottom of TV above the overhead cabinet edge.

Regarding putting racks in place of TVs - depending on size, you may be able to modify the rack/organizer mounting holes to fit in the original holes left by TV. That way, you don't add any new holes to cabinetry. There is also the big hole where the cabling comes out from. You probably need to make sure you don't stuff them back into the wall and can not fish them back out later.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Our TV doubles as one of my second computer monitors, so I leave it in place. We have an older Interstate, so there's only a rear TV, and furthermore, it does not stick out into the aisle.

I'm still searching for a good portable monitor to use up front. I really need something like a Slidenjoy and I can't believe that no product of that type has managed to get off the ground yet, but apparently they have not (I am not one of Slidenjoy's kickscammed).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #12
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
https://www.razer.com/project-valerie but built into the notebook... not like the Slidenjoy that just attaches to any notebook...

We are not changing nor removing the TVs in ours... we use those a lot... during this trip we took a few blue-rays, we watched Steven Spielberg's Taken

We just need a quieter A/C to avoid having to turn on captions in the rear TV
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
https://www.razer.com/project-valerie but built into the notebook... not like the Slidenjoy that just attaches to any notebook...

We are not changing nor removing the TVs in ours... we use those a lot... during this trip we took a few blue-rays, we watched Steven Spielberg's Taken

We just need a quieter A/C to avoid having to turn on captions in the rear TV
Razer's Project Valerie has turned out to be vapor. Their two prototypes were stolen last year at a trade show (and later rumored to be held for ransom in China for about $22,000) and then, like other manufacturers with similar ideas, they never produced any for sale.

It's such an obvious product to fill a gaping hole that I still can't imagine why nobody can manage to bring some version of it to market.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
I'll toss my 2 cents in here. I hope it's worth at least 1....

As a 6' 195lb RV'r, that front TV is my nemesis because I'm too stupid/distracted to always remember to duck under the damn thing. Eventually one of us is gonna crack. At 3" taller than me, I think pulling that out is a good idea. As for the rear TV, one day my butt is gonna rip that puppy right off the wall. When parked, it gets unlocked and folded against the side wall, safe from my posterior....

Now, having said that, last summer when my daughter and I went on an epic 8 day 3,000 mile trip through the W and NW, she would have been VERY unhappy with me if I removed her main source of Scooby Doo videos, LOL. She was a happy camper sitting in the 2nd row and watching her favorite DVDs. Now, however, she's about 10 years older (in only 1 year...not sure how that happened) and it takes an act of sheer willpower to pull her face out of her cellphone (or me just taking it away when enough is enough ), so now, pulling that front TV would be totally OK.

As I've said many times, do what works for YOU and how YOU intend to use your coach. You're the only one you have to satisfy.

P.S. @Interblog, not quite right on Project Valerie. I was just in the same room as one, and I wasn't in China (I was on Razer property), so at least one lives on. And the Projects are concepts....they're not necessarily meant to become products for sale, just "ideas" that might, one day, turn into something real.

P.P.S. I'm much more of a Project Linda fan for portability. I had something similar years ago from Motorola (before they got bought, and sold again, by Google, which killed it). I LOVE this concept and it works surprisingly well as a minimalist setup. I used the Motorola version for a week one summer "working remotely" (along the banks of one of my all-time favorite fly-fishing rivers.... ) and with the large battery in the "dock", it lasted the entire week. I was able to send/receive email, edit docs, etc., and catch a few fish of course.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Large posters will cover just about anything.
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #16
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeydog View Post
Large posters will cover just about anything.
If you can find a place in an Interstate for a large poster, you are better than I am. First Airstream I have owned (4) that does not have even one place for a piece of art (or much else).
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Eyechip, I removed both TVs from my 2017 International 27FB for the same reasons you cited. Both removals left a bunch of ugly holes (ten in the living room alone!) that I have not yet dealt with. The holes are slightly bulged, so even if I filled them with some kind of putty or caulk, they'd be pretty obvious. Covering them up with artwork seems the best alternative--I just haven't found or made something appropriate.

I did make one useful mod. The TV over the couch had a fat bundle of cables coming out of a 1 1/8" hole in the wall. I stuffed them all back into the wall (making sure they'd be retrievable) and installed a 12V outlet in the hole--a perfect fit. It comes in handy sometimes having an outlet at that end of the couch.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
How I use our TV (when not watching The Walking Dead). The Lagun table is mounted further forward than the Airstream-installed pedestal table was, so this is much more convenient. I no longer have to stretch the TV toward the middle of the rear couches to use it as a second monitor.

I'm stress testing the electrical system today (first time it has been under full loads in summertime heat in about a year), hence the inset BMS pic at lower right.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
2011 Airstream Interstate: I'm trying to remove some of the ceiling to allow it to dry out from a roof leak. I need to remove the front TV to get to the ceiling rivets. I don't see how to release the tv from the bracket to access the screws that hold the bracket to the shelf. What's the procedure? Thanks
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #20
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
I don't see how to release the tv from the bracket to access the screws that hold the bracket to the shelf. What's the procedure? Thanks
My (2014.5) TVs were held on the brackets by small thumbscrews. Not easy to get to because of all the wiring.
WBCCI #9632