Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
TST wireless tire pressure monitoring

I use these. Curious...has anyone had them stollen from tires. I've left mine on while the unit is in storage but the back ones were barely noticeable. Now I have new tires and a new valve stem set up and they will be noticeable. There's cameras at my storage unit, but was still curious.

Also has anyone changed the batteries. I'm going on 3years and they still work. Just trying to plan ahead.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I changed my batteries after 2 years, just because...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
I have had them on the coach and on the toad for 3 years with no problem with theft. However, they are both parked at our house when not in use. I leave off the anti-theft caps since they are a pain to work with.

I also take the sensors off before going to the tire shop since they can be lost there.

I changed the batteries and the o rings after 2 years. When you go to change the batteries make sure you have the o rings. You will destroy them unscrewing the cap to replace the battery.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Ive had mine on for about six years with no theft problems. I have the TST flow-thru sensor and the batteries last 18-24 months. When one sensors stops working I change batteries in all six sensors.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
I have had them on the coach and on the toad for 3 years with no problem with theft. However, they are both parked at our house when not in use. I leave off the anti-theft caps since they are a pain to work with.

I also take the sensors off before going to the tire shop since they can be lost there.

I changed the batteries and the o rings after 2 years. When you go to change the batteries make sure you have the o rings. You will destroy them unscrewing the cap to replace the battery.
Where did you get the O rings.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Actually a good question. So far the extras that came with my original set have lasted through 2 battery changes (8 sensors/batteries). I think I've been lucky and have only had a couple of the 'O' rings break to this point.

I'll probably be changing out this set sometime this summer and I've only got one or two left. Not reassuring with 4 batteries to change and at least 3 to 4 year old 'O' rings under some of them.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I use these. Curious...has anyone had them stollen from tires.
No.

Quote:
Also has anyone changed the batteries. I'm going on 3years and they still work. Just trying to plan ahead.
I'm on three years also. I had one unit that didn't come on until it warmed up. I purchased the batteries and o-rings, but haven't done the swap yet.

Quote:
You can buy a kit from TST, but IMO it's expensive $9 + $11 shipping for a baggie the size of a cracker.
You can buy them from TechnoRV for about the same, but get a tiny screwdriver to remove the tiny screws.
Or, you can go on Amazon and buy 100 of the o-rings for $8.
(They are 11mm x 1mm)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We have the "flow through" type and use the lock nuts - never had a problem with thief. Change the batteries every two years use the same o-ring and a little silicone grease. no issues......
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:35 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

abbotsford , British Columbia
I had mine stoilen while we were in a restaurant. maybe kids I guess, but they are pricey

I cant remember the battery numbers in mine but I had to order them on line, could not find them in any store
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
I replace my batteries every year -- I use the TireMinder TPMS system - with my phone as the screen vs having a separate monitor. I lost mine a couple of years ago when I had it on the driver side window and it fell off -- and I didn't notice it.

Never any problem with a theft - going on 10 years.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
They are easy to remove, so why not remove them before storing the trailer?
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I found the batteries at Walmart..Duracell. I've considered just removing them for storage but I just didn't know if they were a "hot" item or not.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Ordered Blueskysea T650 TPMS yesterday. Decent reviews. Given all the wireless technology in use everywhere for everything, the TST 507's seemed way overpriced. Will report back on how they work. I had long been worried about having the sensor weight spinning around on the end of the valve stems. The ones I ordered weighed less than the TST's. Am also concerned that any sensor will be a pain to get on and off the stem of the inner dual.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
Hello all -- I have been considering adding a TPMS on our 2016 Interstate but have not done this yet. Based on this discussion I'm ready to order the TST 507 but have a few questions:

1. I've read complaints about the brightness of the color display. Have folks found this a problem?

2. I've read about damage to the plastic valve stem extensions for the rear inner tires. Is it safe to use the TST Cap system on these or should they be replaced with metal stems? If so, does someone have a recommended for a replacement extension.

3. I've also considered just getting monitors for the front tires and the rear outer tires, feeling that failure of an inner tire would not be catastrophic. It's easy enough to check the pressure on those manually. Is this idea foolish?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

David
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
1) No info. (yet) of the display of the TPMS that I bought.
2) The plastic extenders were junk. Replaced all stems with metal stems at my first 9and only) tire rotation at 23,000 miles. Inner rear stem is metal, but i think the grommet attaching it to the rims must be rubber as it flexes a little when I put a gauge on it.
3) I think having either of the duals fail would be catastrophic - as it would overload the other tire. I am more concerned about not being able to spot a failure of the inner dual when doing a walk-around. Plus I want to know about a leak on any of the six tires when underway.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I find the display very bright. I bought 6 but did not put the inner ones on the floppy plastic stems...too many reports of cracking. But I can now put them on with new valve stems. I used the outer rear ones, but extremely difficult to place them in original stems as they were pointed inward. I found them to be accurate in reporting the tire pressures

Bottom line...get rid of the original valve stems. I waited till I bought new tires which means I dealt with that pain in the ass for almost 4 years.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
i cant remember the battery numbers in mine but i had to order them on line, could not find them in any store
cr1632 (?)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Buy name brand batteries

Don’t make the mistake I did on battery selection. I bought some random brand that came by the dozen on Amazon and the system would not pick up the signal from a couple of tires. I called TST (they are very helpful folks) and he said that they have heard of that issue with the cheaper “unknown” brands. I got some Duracells and it worked great.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherTC View Post
Hello all -- I have been considering adding a TPMS on our 2016 Interstate but have not done this yet. Based on this discussion I'm ready to order the TST 507 but have a few questions:

1. I've read complaints about the brightness of the color display. Have folks found this a problem?

2. I've read about damage to the plastic valve stem extensions for the rear inner tires. Is it safe to use the TST Cap system on these or should they be replaced with metal stems? If so, does someone have a recommended for a replacement extension.

3. I've also considered just getting monitors for the front tires and the rear outer tires, feeling that failure of an inner tire would not be catastrophic. It's easy enough to check the pressure on those manually. Is this idea foolish?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

David
NO problem with brightness

You need to have all 6 tires monitored. It is not just a flat tire, it is the tire shredding into pieces and ripping apart everything it comes in contact with.

Plenty of threads here that talk about the Thousands of $$$ in damage done by a flat tire.

Here is where I purchased my extensions. You need to consult with the charts to find the correct kit.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...sprinter-class
Old 06-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
Thanks all for the feedback!
David
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote