Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Tricks to mounting a Victron inverter?

I’m trying to find the best position to mount the 50 lb. (ish) 3000W Victron MultiPlus in either the left side or right side of our Lounge. The left side allows to screw into the board in front of the water heater, but the battery cables run the length of the back of the Interstate when mounted there. I’d also have to move our surge protector and make new cables to it, as it was installed aftermarket in that location.

If I mount it on the right side, it’s a ton shorter length of cables I’d have to run, we’re talking like maybe five feet difference. I have a few other things to avoid, like the lounge frame that sticks out on the floor, and my floor is built up from where I built a floor from where the old battery box was located. Biggest problem is unless I mount it sitting sideways, I have little to nothing to screw into to secure it properly unless I build up a wood mount, which is what I might end up doing. Even mounted sideways, Victron doesn’t have a mount on the side, so I’d have to figure that out also, probably have to screw into the side of the inverter wall, which is doable. I don’t think Victron did the best job of designing the mount on the back of the inverter, but I’m sure it can be overcome. If I can stand the inverter upright, it will sit maybe four to five inches from the back wall, so I might have to cut spacers to screw into the back wall and the inverter somehow.

Is there anyone who has mounted or had a Victron mounted in either location and found good solutions on how to mount it? It’s such a heavy beast, I’d really want to make sure it stays put! I’m sure I’m frustrated and trying to fit this project in before it gets cold again, and just can’t seem to come up with a good solution so far in my head. Any suggestions that I’m just not thinking of?

It also doesn’t help that I really dislike screwing into the nice laminate wood either. Plus I like it to look as professional as possible, which was actually a bit of challenge in taking out the battery box and building up the floor! Ended up being harder than it looked to begin with.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Ours is mounted on the passenger side, behind the lounge. Under the lounge, forward of the Multiplus, is a pair of 200Ah LiFeBlue batteries.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6861.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	498.4 KB
ID:	408570

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Nice picture and setup. I wonder if they screwed the mount to the floor then? I might have to take up a little more real estate and do it that way. I think Iím going to mount my batteries in front of the inverter which would be the opposite of yours since we are not as fortunate as you Iíd guess, being in Florida it looks. Just make it easier to unhook the batteries when we have to put it to bed for the winter.

Do you know if they moved your seatbelt ore removed, or is our mount different than yours? I guess loosing one passenger out of a 9 passenger van isnít the end of the world!
Old 11-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #4

Glad you like it. I think they removed one seatbelt to get the inverter installed, but we don't care because nobody will ever sit on that lounge while the van is in motion.

I'm pretty sure they screwed the multiplus to the floor, because it doesn't move. On the right side of the inverter, between the outer wall and the inverter itself, where you can just see it in the photo is a BRS (big red switch) that controls power to the inverter. Farther back, on top of the batteries, is another BRS that controls power to the coach batteries. When we store the unit we turn off the coach, turn off both of those big red switches, and put a battery tender on the chassis battery under the hood. When we come back to use the van, the coach batteries are at exactly the same state of charge as they were when we parked it.

400Ah is a good amount of energy storage, though if we could have fit more in there, a couple hundred more amp hours would have been nice to have.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
When running wires from one end of the trailer to the other, what is best practice for wire location? Pull wall panels and put in wall? Put hole in floor and run wire under trailer? It seems like a conduit on the floor with wires inside might be unsightly or a trip hazard. What is doable and best?
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #6
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
I'm watching this thread, as I will be installing the same inverter in our 2018 Classic 30 RB Twin next week.
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm30327 View Post
When running wires from one end of the trailer to the other, what is best practice for wire location? Pull wall panels and put in wall? Put hole in floor and run wire under trailer? It seems like a conduit on the floor with wires inside might be unsightly or a trip hazard. What is doable and best?
Lewster puts them through a nice aluminum trim that runs along the floor and wall junction. The wires are otherwise under cabinets. You can search some of his posts for his install techniques.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Just curious, why 3,000 watts? Are you planning in the future to run the A/C from the battery bank?

Reason for me asking is that I plan to install the 2000 watts Victron unit since it fits in the same space the Magnum is right now... to minimize the work I have to do... I only need/want to be able to run the espresso maker and the microwave without having to fire up the generator.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Yes, I would have gone with a 2000W but my ultimate goal is to run the Air conditioner. It’s so humid and gets fairly hot here in the summer, and now worse with climate change. We like to visit breweries and such for lunch and maybe a little sip of the beverages, and it would be so nice to keep the pups cool while we run in, without having to run the obnoxiously loud generator. The noise somewhat kills the mood in places like that. It surprisingly gets fairly warm just running into a shop for a minute too, so for my piece of mind, I think it better to keep them as cool as possible.
I do like the fact the 2000 fits in a couple more inconspicuous spots and I think you said the old inverter space(is it the jump seat or the back electrical box space?) Prob the jump set, yes? I think the newer Interstates have their inverters in the jump set instead of the box like us.

I was set to have Lewster do my upgrade or go with his system but came across a used Multiplus that was too good of a deal to pass up. Some trailer owners are putting in the Multiplus II due to the seamless power switching it performs. We don’t have as much of an issue since we have the Precision circuits load shedding I think.

As for the trailer owners, we don’t have the ability to answer your questions really, as the Interstate has a different wire run than your trailers. I’d also say that it depends on your model as I’m trying to figure out my spring project which will be upgrading the International to lithium and upgrading the converter . I think it depends on your floor plan, but I’m sure you’ll find some owners who have done it and can tell you where to run your wires. It looks like a nightmare to me so far, but maybe I haven’t thought that project all the way through, either.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Alpharetta , Georgia
Does anyone know a reasonable solar installer who does airstreams?
Davidbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
GMFL is one of the masters and he is in your neck of the woods. Here is a link to one of his threads. You can PM him for his contact information. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ml#post2555586
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
First, we do solar installs with all of the other 'goodies' involved. Next, the Victron inverter/chargers are rated in 'VA' and not watts. This means that their 3000VA unit, the Multiplus and Multiplus II are 3000VA, which converts to 2400 watts, not the 3000 many folks think it is. Similarly, their 2000VA unit is rated at 1600 watts.

Hope this clears things up a bit.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:48 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
My vote would be for Lewster. I was on board to buy my Victron from him this fall until I stumbled across a very rare and sweet deal on the one I installed. Someone sold a trailer with a lithium system in it and the new buyers didn’t want lithium and a “fancy setup” (gasp), so now the fancy setup is mine, lucky me! Anyway, he’s super helpful and full of knowledge along with being a former AM Solar installer/employee/expert, which I hope I am throwing out there correctly. Nice that he knows quite a bit about our systems/‘Airstreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbrandi View Post
Does anyone know a reasonable solar installer who does airstreams?
Old 12-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
My vote would be for Lewster. I was on board to buy my Victron from him this fall until I stumbled across a very rare and sweet deal on the one I installed. Someone sold a trailer with a lithium system in it and the new buyers didnít want lithium and a ďfancy setupĒ (gasp), so now the fancy setup is mine, lucky me! Anyway, heís super helpful and full of knowledge along with being a former AM Solar installer/employee/expert, which I hope I am throwing out there correctly. Nice that he knows quite a bit about our systems/ĎAirstreams.
Full disclosure: that's who mounted ours, shown in the photo above. He and his son did a great job for us, and we'd gladly use them again.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:43 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Yes Lewster did ours and couldnít be happier.
Incredible power and can run EVERYTHING ANYTIME.

We went with (2) 300 lifeblue and the Victron 3000.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	409349
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote