Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Montrose , Pennsylvania
Trailer wiring

I purchased a small enclosed trailer to tow behind my 2016 Gand Tour. I brought it home behind my car (Mercedes GL series) and the lights worked fine with a stock 7-4 converter.

When I connect it to my AI only the turn signals work. Does anyone know if I need a different set up before I start troubleshooting the wiring into the 7 way plug?

Thanks!
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedor View Post
I purchased a small enclosed trailer to tow behind my 2016 Gand Tour. I brought it home behind my car (Mercedes GL series) and the lights worked fine with a stock 7-4 converter.

When I connect it to my AI only the turn signals work. Does anyone know if I need a different set up before I start troubleshooting the wiring into the 7 way plug?

Thanks!
The 7-pin connector on an Interstate is completely US standard. I use a 7-to-6 umbilical for pulling my toad and everything works fine.

However, Sprinter vans don't play well with trailers that have LED lights. If your trailer has LED brake lights, you may need to add a resistor to the trailer's brake light circuit to allow the lights to draw enough current that the van can recognize that they're plugged in.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Pennsylvania
I have led lights so I bet you are right! I will research the diode before I tear into the 7 way wiring. Any suggestions where I can learn about that (etrailer, you tube, etc)?

Bob
Old 10-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I have led lights so I bet you are right! I will research the diode before I tear into the 7 way wiring. Any suggestions where I can learn about that (etrailer, you tube, etc)?

Bob
NAPA Auto Parts. Talk to the guy at the parts counter and tell him what you need, and they should be able to help.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Pennsylvania
Thank you!

Bob
Old 10-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Pennsylvania
Led trailer adapter

I am going to try this and hopefully it will solve my problem.

From the etrailer.com website.

Tow Ready Wiring - TR20141
Tow Ready 7-way connector to 5-way or 4-way flat connector for 2007 and current Volkswagen Touareg, Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne (or any vehicle with a factory specific 7-way plug) when towing a trailer equipped with LED lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
NAPA Auto Parts. Talk to the guy at the parts counter and tell him what you need, and they should be able to help.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The 7-pin connector on an Interstate is completely US standard. I use a 7-to-6 umbilical for pulling my toad and everything works fine.

However, Sprinter vans don't play well with trailers that have LED lights. If your trailer has LED brake lights, you may need to add a resistor to the trailer's brake light circuit to allow the lights to draw enough current that the van can recognize that they're plugged in.
When you say the 7-pin connector is US standard do you know if I will need a 3-2 adapter since the Sprinter has amber turn signals and my trailer doesn't?

Thanks in advance!

Bob
Old 10-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
When you say the 7-pin connector is US standard do you know if I will need a 3-2 adapter since the Sprinter has amber turn signals and my trailer doesn't?

Thanks in advance!

Bob
No, you won't need a 3-2 adapter. The fact that the van's turn signals and brake lights are on separate bulbs makes no difference to the 7-pin connector.

The answer might be different if you were setting up a toad that had amber turn signals, but in that case the adapter would be on the toad, not the van.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Pennsylvania
Got it. I will report back if the adapter from etrailer solves the problem so others viewing this thread will know.

Bob
Old 11-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:

Thanks!

We've been successful towing an LED light featured trailer (Legend) behind last year's 2014.5 model, and our recently delivered new Airstream Interstate. Never any problems at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447521071.399767.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	252037

Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:53 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
We've been successful towing an LED light featured trailer (Legend) behind last year's 2014.5 model, and our recently delivered new Airstream Interstate. Never any problems at all.

Attachment 252037

Scott
The adapter that I purchased at etrailer specifically for German made vehicles seemed to do the trick! Not sure why it didn't work without the adapter though.

Bob
Old 11-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
ScottP very nice looking set up

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Thank you.

The trailer is used to transport bikes and kayaks, extra luggage and doubles as a way to sleep kids who don't want to be in their tent on a rainy night .... dogs who are wet from swimming in the river, and generally a catch all for traveling. Hardly know trailer is being towed.

It's a nice 6x12 lightweight all aluminum trailer from Legend Trailer, and I would recommend their product:

(Home > Legend Trailers > Enclosed Trailers > Deluxe V Nose Cargo - Legend)

I would not recommend their dealer, Beck's in St. John Michigan, unfortunately. Honesty and integrity aren't part of their normal business operation.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #14

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
lincoln , Nebraska
hauling 6'X12' aluminum trailer w/ '16 Interstate EXT

[QUOTE=ScottP;1711978]Thank you.

The trailer is used to transport bikes and kayaks, extra luggage and doubles as a way to sleep kids who don't want to be in their tent on a rainy night .... dogs who are wet from swimming in the river, and generally a catch all for traveling. Hardly know trailer is being towed.

It's a nice 6x12 lightweight all aluminum trailer from Legend Trailer, and I would recommend their product:

---
This is a nice confidence boost since I am about to embark on my first adventure trailering my H&H 6'X 12' v-nose aluminum trailer (with similar contents) behind my 2016 Interstate EXT. Just nervous about mountain passes or need to pass on 2-lane highways. Any issues with being underpowered with this set-up?
thoswoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:22 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Trailering thru passes...

No issues at all - really!

We've towed our Jeep and the trailer pictured above through the Teton pass located between Victor Idaho and Jackson Hole dozens of times, and between the Cascade Mtn passes located between Bend Oregon and the coast.

Not a worry at all, nice little engine on the ASI
Old 03-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Trailer Wiring Connector Gone!

The trailer wiring connector has always hung low, below the skids underneath the rear bumper, and has taken a beating. Last week, the connector was destroyed. I purchased a replacement 7 pin plug, but the power transmission on the 7 wires is not there. So, the question is, where in the AI is the module for the trailer wiring, is there a fuse that may have blown when the plug was destroyed, and if there is a fuse, where is that fuse? I've reviewed all of the manuals and found no reference regarding this issue.
JJKinnerup is offline   Reply With Quote