Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2022, 07:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I've been using screw-on sensors for a few years, not flow-through. My thought is that I want to get the pressure from the valve stem itself, if at all possible. May not be a real issue, but me concern would be having the sensor's flow-through passage not allow an accurate pressure to reach the gauge due to some type of blockage.

I don't check with a gauge every day we're on the road, but I will usually check before leaving home to verify the TPMS is still reading consistently. Once that check is done, I'll check every morning before starting out by forcing the TPMS to take fresh readings. If the numbers are good we'll continue. If anything looks amiss, I'll pull out the gauge and check again.
I keep my display on my dash, next to my rear camera monitor. I periodically will glance/check temps and PSI. I purchased this system to help avoid issues with my tires and don't want to wait till it's too late and an audible warning sounds...just me, perhps? Thats why I purchased it in the first place.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:42 AM   #22
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I keep my display on my dash, next to my rear camera monitor. I periodically will glance/check temps and PSI. I purchased this system to help avoid issues with my tires and don't want to wait till it's too late and an audible warning sounds...just me, perhps? Thats why I purchased it in the first place.
I do something similar to you. My earlier note was about how I handle the pre-trip portion.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Thanks to all those that replied. Much appreciate the responses. Seems the majority who had problems by not installing the repeater had trailers so I'm hoping my smaller rig will be ok. I'll try it for awhile without the repeater and see what happens since it appears most of the Sprinter owners had few if any issues. I hoping to only hear from Sprinter owners which would have been much less confusing. No doubt the repeater is probably needed on larger rigs. Perhaps the clause "The repeater is an integral component to your TPMS system. Failure to install the repeater could void the warranty coverage." in the newer systems was to protect them against some unforeseen liability. If it had not been for that statement I would not have posted my question and just installed the system without the repeater, which I intend to do. Again, thanks for the comments. My question has been answered.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
2022 Interstate 24GT
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Are you saying the new MBZ powered 24GT does not have built in TPMS? Most all new vehicles have this standard now, I thought? Our 2016 MBZ has it?
My understanding is as of 2021 that they aren’t installed on the 24’s as they are not required by the DOT for trucks or some other technicality related to the dually sprinters. I’m hoping to be surprised when we take delivery this year but not expecting the 22s to come with TPMS.
Gerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdog View Post
My understanding is as of 2021 that they aren’t installed on the 24’s as they are not required by the DOT for trucks or some other technicality related to the dually sprinters. I’m hoping to be surprised when we take delivery this year but not expecting the 22s to come with TPMS.
Your understanding is correct. US DOT does not require TPMS on vehicles over 10,000 lbs GVWR or with dual rear wheels. MB is too cheap to add them since they are not required. Ford on the other had puts TPMS on all Transits even those over 10,000 GVWR.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:36 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvagediver View Post
Where did you find the DL1SPAL?? Thanks
You can get dually values (product name) from many places including Amazon. I got mine from accu-pressure.com. They are actually in Lantana, FL. Kit # DL1SPAL was a perfect fit for my 2018 Airstream Interstate GT (2017 MB Sprinter) with 16" Alcoa outside wheels with rectangular 3.5" x 1" slots and steel inside wheels. Give them a call to make sure you order the correct kit # that fits your wheel type. I took these into my Discount Tire dealer to get them installed, at no additional charge, while they rotated and balanced my tires. Installation is a little tricky because if you over torque the nut, you can damage the rubber grommets and the stem will leak. Easily preventable, by reading the instructions that come with the stem kit and take in with you a 3/8" torque wrench that measures inch-lbs. If you don't have an inch-lbs torque use a foot-lbs torque and divide the inch-lbs value by 12. (20 in-lbs = 1.7 ft-lbs or 100 in-lbs = 8.3 ft-lbs). The kit comes with extra rubber grommets that I have added to my spare parts box. I also take a 1/2" torque wrench and a 3/8" torque wrench with me when travelling.
SterlingsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:50 AM   #27
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
One of the things I learned when I installed these on my trailer was to have the wheels balanced. To verify this was needed I had them balance my wheels without the sensors first - then I had to install the sensors. This resulted in tire being out of balance. The guy then had to install a large weight to correct it.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:25 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Apple Valley , Minnesota
Repeater on trailer

I install my 507 repeater loose in my battery box with the house batteries. It works well with my 27FB and F150. Without the repeater, it is a bit of a stretch to get the signal from all of the caps sensors - non-flowthrough.

I just pull the fuse from the repeater wiring when I am not on the road. I also pull the fuse on my power jack as a theft/hooligan deterrent when in storage at home. Both fuses are stored in the camper so I don't leave them behind or forget where they are.

Squeegee.
Squeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

CANON CITY , Colorado
I have this system, on a 2017 Interstate, works great, and in two separate incidents it has saved me driving with a damaged tire ( nail, and screws). I made the same call to TST, and got the same response. . So I removed the drivers seat, and made the required connections with the wires there. I placed the unit just outside the back of the base. Has always worked with no issues.
Blazeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #30
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Your question about the repeater…although I have a 34’ Excella…

….wire the repeater to the trailer “running light” circuit. That way it is off/no power when connected and running lights on. It is a “no think” process… doesn’t hurt to have the amplifier on…

Since your Interstate isn’t concerned with a trailer, it makes sense to connect to the interstate automatic light circuit…
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:09 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Bambi
Chelsea , Michigan
TST Relay

I have the TST repeater mounted to the front of our 22' Bambi so it's between the TV and the trailer. I mounted a marine grade toggle switch through the back of the battery cover. The toggle itself is covered with a rubber boot that screws onto the switch. Pretty straight forward installation, easy access, and is fairly waterproof.
Kurt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:11 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Your question about the repeater…although I have a 34’ Excella…

….wire the repeater to the trailer “running light” circuit. That way it is off/no power when connected and running lights on. It is a “no think” process… doesn’t hurt to have the amplifier on…

Since your Interstate isn’t concerned with a trailer, it makes sense to connect to the interstate automatic light circuit…
That's basically what TST recommended. Something to I would consider.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:16 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeman1 View Post
I have this system, on a 2017 Interstate, works great, and in two separate incidents it has saved me driving with a damaged tire ( nail, and screws). I made the same call to TST, and got the same response. . So I removed the drivers seat, and made the required connections with the wires there. I placed the unit just outside the back of the base. Has always worked with no issues.
When you removed the seat were you able to access power controlled by the ignition switch? Or did you directly connect the repeater to the chassis battery?
Old 02-09-2022, 12:37 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Teaticket , Massachusetts
Tst

TST here also, repeater mounted on
Side of battery box (30 RBQ FC) and in-line fuse pulled for storage.
I’m using the non-inline sensors so pre-flight on the tire pressure is done on the TST display.
Question: is it a big issue to not have the steel valve stems? I do notice marks where the sensors hit the rims..

Bob
AnotherBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:09 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

CANON CITY , Colorado
[QUOTE=orlik;2576231] When you removed the seat were you able to access power controlled by the ignition switch? Or did you directly connect the repeater to the chassis battery?[/

controlled by the ignition switch, I can't tell which wire, but if you use a voltage tester, and turn on, and off the ignition switch you can locate it. It is a pain to pull the seat, but it's the only place I could find a wire controlled by the ignition switch.
Blazeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Are you asking for a trailer or an Interstate van, because the answers are different for each. Please remember this thread is on the Interstate van side and note it might confuse readers to continue to post questions and answers that are not applicable to one another.

Might be a good idea to start a new thread for the trailer side on TPMS as Rocinante suggested earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBob View Post
I’m using the non-inline sensors so pre-flight on the tire pressure is done on the TST display.
Question: is it a big issue to not have the steel valve stems? I do notice marks where the sensors hit the rims..

Bob
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:30 AM   #37
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
I have figured a way to replace the batteries on these old sensors. As I have 6 sensors, I did not want to buy a complete new system. As a retired EE, I ordered the correct batteries on Amazon and destroyed a few sensors before perfecting the process. I am in Dahlonega, GA.
I have used the updated sensors for a year with no issues.
I only need a supply of older sensors to replace the batteries. Contact me if you are interested, cost should be about $10-15 for parts.
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:59 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBob View Post

Bob
I have the steel/rubber model valve stems and run the valve cap transmitter from TST with no issues last 4 years. they do not rub on my rims, nor do they fold over; pretty rigid. I did not know there were "other" rubber composition valve stems that folks talk about that are "rubber" mostly, until I was helping my friend with his new Winnebago and new TST valve steam transmitters he purchased like my system. His valve steams were mostly rubber from the rim to the screw threads, and they easily bent to the rim we noticed when we were installing. He ended up taking the trailer to the dealer and will have the valve stems replaced. I just got my second set of GY Endurance tires installed last year with same style I had earlier, with new rubber/steel valve stems; I said, no issues with the repeater TST transmitters bending these stems. I would replace with steel if you have concerns on the ones you have installed.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
Dix Hills , New York
Orlik, how is the fitment of the new pass through valve on the Interstate sprinter?
Flat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:15 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
Dix Hills , New York
Deciding on TST 507 Vs. Tireminder A1AS. Also deciding on pass through valve or Caps. Just worried about fitment on Airstream Interstate Alcoa rims. Any suggestions?
Flat6 is offline   Reply With Quote