Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
No problem towing a small trailer with the Interstate. Like Beaubill sez, you won't even know its there, with or without sway control. The key factor is your Interstate greatly outweighs a small balanced-by-design AS trailer, making for a very stable tow configuration. Since you have prior experience towing, go for it!!!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #22
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Farmer View Post
Texas rule is a trailer 16 ft long, irregardless of weight, requires brakes.
No such rule. The statute is:
Sec. 547.401. BRAKES REQUIRED. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or combination of those vehicles shall be equipped with brakes that comply with this chapter.
(b) A trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer is not required to have brakes if:
(1) its gross weight is 4,500 pounds or less; or
(2) its gross weight is heavier than 4,500 pounds but not heavier than 15,000 pounds, and it is drawn at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour.

There is no length requirement. My glider trailer was 24' long, but required no brakes.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
He sounds like a pretty reasonable person and loyal friend. Good luck on your trip and remember: You can always unhook the trailer if things aren't working out.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Thank you, all, and for your understanding comments too. Greatly appreciated.
Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Well of course you're right Maggie, but this friend did keep an eye on my mother before she passed away last year, so I do have an obligation to him. A sensitive topic really!
Ahhh, that changes things a bit, and my sympathies on the loss of your mother. You do have something of a debt to him, and a good friend he was to have done this for you.

His offer to pay for your modifications is reasonable and appropriate, as is the option for him to rent a unit and you caravan.

We rented from RVForRent many years ago, which was expensive but got us where we wanted to be (the Redwoods) in a reliable vehicle.

The benefit to riding together is that, of course, you have all that time to visit, converse, comment on what you are seeing, etc., rather than the isolation of each traveling separately.

I'm still concerned about you taking on that tow, but of course ultimately the decision is yours and your wife's....pose a question here, people will tell you what they think.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Peter, my condolences on the loss of your Mother. A good friend indeed to step in helping her in your place. Only you and your wife can make the decisions, and it seems you are well on your road to doing that. As said....ask a question, and you'll get lots of answers and opinions. Recommendations are what you need to make your decisions, and you are getting there.

Most importantly, be safe and have a wonderful time on your journey! God bless. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I just saw that you're planning this for viewing the eclipse, and there are suggestions that you use hotels or other lodging opportunities. So, you might want to be aware that these opportunities are diminishing rapidly. I'm hearing reports that all lodging in Casper has been filled for months, and other towns are filling quickly. I've also heard that many commercial campgrounds are filled. Prices are apparently going crazy as well. Some communities outside of the eclipse path are putting together bus charters to take people to the prime areas.

I've got plans to boondock on the Medicine Bow NF near Douglas. I have a site in mind, but I haven't been there yet. I'm going to go there in a month or two once the snow melts and the roads dry out a bit to see if it's possible, and if multiple rigs could fit. If so, I'll probably take my Airstream there a week or two in advance and leave it, as I suspect the good dispersed sites will fill too. There is a 14-day limit on the site.

So, the moral of the story is: don't dilly-dally on your plans.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
I just saw that you're planning this for viewing the eclipse, and there are suggestions that you use hotels or other lodging opportunities. So, you might want to be aware that these opportunities are diminishing rapidly. I'm hearing reports that all lodging in Casper has been filled for months, and other towns are filling quickly. I've also heard that many commercial campgrounds are filled. Prices are apparently going crazy as well. Some communities outside of the eclipse path are putting together bus charters to take people to the prime areas.

I've got plans to boondock on the Medicine Bow NF near Douglas. I have a site in mind, but I haven't been there yet. I'm going to go there in a month or two once the snow melts and the roads dry out a bit to see if it's possible, and if multiple rigs could fit. If so, I'll probably take my Airstream there a week or two in advance and leave it, as I suspect the good dispersed sites will fill too. There is a 14-day limit on the site.

So, the moral of the story is: don't dilly-dally on your plans.

Thank you for that advice. We don't know Wyoming at all, so your tips will provide a good start for our planning process!
And perhaps at the time you can look out for us!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Thank you Maggie and Evelyn. Supportive words are always appreciated!
Peter
Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Every state has different regulations but it looks like the general cut off is if your trailer has a gross wt. over 3000# brakes are required. The general rule I use is the trailer (without brakes) should not be more than 40% of the vehicle towing it. Obviously not exceeding the capacities of the vehicle or state regulations. Your limitations are state laws not the capacity of a 10K # Airstream Interstate.
kurl is offline   Reply With Quote