Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Total Newbie - looking at Interstate SV

I’m at the early stages of looking at a 24’ AS Interstate SV. I have several options from my local AS dealer - all Mercedes diesel engines on the Mercedes platform, ranging from 18K to 88K miles.

I would appreciate any and all input and suggestions for this Newbie (never had any type RV previously) - questions to ask, considerations, books to read, etc.

Thank you.
GypsyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Right now the whole used RV market ( not just AS and not just Interstates ) is a bit nutty. Prices are at a significant premium over historical averages. That's not to say you should not buy one, only that you *will* pay quite a bit for one.

The alternative is to buy new. If you go for "new on the lot ready to go", you probably will pay a fairly steep premium. Factory orders can be done with discounts off MSRP that are not quite as good as a few years ago. However the premium on the factory order seems to be far less than the "boost" on the others.

With a factory order, you *will* wait a while. Is that early spring or early summer? Who knows. I'm not suggesting that waiting is a good thing. Folks should get out and use their RV's. It's just something to factor in.

All "recent" Interstates will be on the Sprinter / diesel chassis. There are several basic floor plans on the brand new ones. The GT has been out for a while. It's targeted at two folks and having a bit of room. The GL is similar, but it trades some of the room for 4 people getting captain's chairs. The 19' is a bit smaller both inside and out. The X just came out and it is more spartan in the look of the interior.

Which one (if any) makes sense depends a *lot* on how many folks you plan to have along and what you plan to do. To me they all become challenging when trying to bed down 4 adult sized people ....

So: what are you looking to do?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
What is an "Interstate SV"?
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:31 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Since you're a newbie and have never owned an RV, I recommend you try renting an RV for a trip just to see whether you enjoy it. Maybe fly to a starting point and rent a small Class C or maybe even a Class B (van) if you can find one. Then, go camping in it, visiting a couple of interesting destinations, for at least a week and find out whether this kind of thing is really for you. Yes, the rental will be expensive, but not as expensive as buying an RV only to decide a few months to a year later that it's just not your thing and that you now want to unload the RV you just bought.

Also, one other thing: buying a camper van is nothing at all like buying a car. Sure, the camper is built into a car, in this case a MB Sprinter van, but aside from the car-specific elements, buying one of these is a lot more like buying a boat. A new camper van is very unlikely to be perfect when you get it. You will constantly have a list of things that are busted or not working right, and every time that list gets long enough, you'll either get busy fixing it yourself or scheduling a visit to a nearby dealer or a visit from a mobile RV repair person. It comes with the territory. There's no good excuse for this fact, despite anything anyone might say, but it's a fact you need to be prepared to accept.

This isn't to scare you off - it's to help ensure you know what you're getting into. There are plenty of happy boat and RV owners out there, but that's because they aren't under any illusions about the RV they are using and enjoying.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a *lot* of alternatives:

The class B van is a very compact way to go. Not a lot of room for 6 months worth of "stuff".

The class C is a bit larger. More room inside and less easy to park here or there.

A class A ( or a super C) is a much larger vehicle with space similar to most trailers.

Then of course there are trailers ....

Bob
Old 10-20-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just as there are multiple vehicles, there are multiple things you could be doing:

1) One or two of you out doing your thing vs a family or other group of 3 or more. The number of folks does matter a lot as you dive into this.

2) Heading over to the local stadium to see the game and running back. I know a number of folks who own a van for exactly this reason. The whole "party at the game" process is a significant thing for them.

3) Couple of day quick trips to here or there. Not so much stopping for a long time in any one place. More heading over to check out this or that and moving on. This *is* a good target for a van.

4) Camping out for multiple days at this or that campground. As this moves from "an extended weekend" into "weeks" the practicality of this or that RV is impacted.

5) Extended trips to "see the country": To me this is heading out in the spring and getting back home in the fall. It can involve a lot of "stuff" coming along with you. To me doing this with multiple folks in a van is a bit cramped. There are a number of people who do it and are quite happy with what a van lets them do.

Without knowing what (within this range) is the main target, it's a bit tough to focus on advice that is relevant to the task at hand. The uses above are not mutually exclusive. It is rare for people to have "all of them" right at the top of the list.

Bob
Old 10-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
What is an "Interstate SV"?
Silver Vehicle?

Looking forward to hearing more from OP
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
The boat analogy is excellent and helps my perspective. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
It’s me traveling with two large labrador retrievers, so floorplan is important. The two bucket seat FP is the only one that works for me.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Silver Vehicle?

Looking forward to hearing more from OP
Good guess - maybe OP will enlighten us on what they mean by “Interstate SV”.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:01 PM   #11
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I'm assuming "SV" is a typo for "RV."

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyNomad View Post
It’s me traveling with two large labrador retrievers, so floorplan is important. The two bucket seat FP is the only one that works for me.
Hi

There are two floor plans with two bucket seats and one with four. The GT and the X both are set up similarly in front. The big difference is how the rear is set up.

We have a lab and a Neuf that travel with us. They always seem to be able to work something out in terms of how much of the volume they occupy. Sometimes they leave a bit for us ...

All class B vans are floor space challenged. That's just the nature of the beast. Bumping up to a class C may help a bit, but it isn't going to help a lot ....

Bob
Old 10-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyNomad View Post
I’m at the early stages of looking at a 24’ AS Interstate SV. I have several options from my local AS dealer - all Mercedes diesel engines on the Mercedes platform, ranging from 18K to 88K miles.

I would appreciate any and all input and suggestions for this Newbie (never had any type RV previously) - questions to ask, considerations, books to read, etc.

Thank you.
(Are we related?) We have owned 4 AS's now; 3-25' AS's and now our 28' FC model...We also have owned a Class A and other small trailers, including a Casita 17' SD, and a popup at one time....the trailers allow you to travel and then disconnect at your campsite and to use your TV to sightsee , weather it be a pickup, SUV, or even a van (assuming you get the right specs to tow, including payload). A smaller AS or other trailer (20-23) may be a great solution with only 2 dogs, IMHO. You can find a great TV (tow vehicle) with room for the pets and extra storage also.

But, I agree also with the suggestion to rent first and see if you like it with a van/airstream or not...there are a lot of choices in Class Bs...including Ford or RAM engines, which are easier to get worked on the MBZ...I also suggest you purchase used so if you don't like it, you may not loose money if you decide this is not for you. Good luck...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote