Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2021, 05:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
San Francisco , California
Smile Top 10 Things We Learned on Our 1st X-Country Trip in 2021 Interstate - Part 1

This was probably a crazy idea to begin with…taking our 1st real overnight trip as a 10 day* cross country trip in our Interstate. We haven’t seen family since the start of the pandemic, wanted to finally put our Airstream to use and we figured “well, this is quite the way to learn the ropes”. We are absolutely still newbies at this whole experience / lifestyle and have so much appreciation for all the helpful comments we see on this forum. We wanted to “give back” to the community and certainly for “first timers/newbies like us” with some lessons learned in our 1st real adventure (which is still ongoing and will be until probably the middle of August) in our 2021 Airstream Interstate 24 GL 4x4.

1/ SPEND TIME PREPARING & TRYING IN YOUR DRIVEWAY & CLOSE TO HOME
We spent 3 months on and off doing day trips near home (discovered some problems with the Air conditioning compressor, wheel balancing + a number of other things right after we bought it), sleeping in our Interstate in the driveway (convinced us to buy a mattress pad), testing a TPMS system (taught me we need metal valve extenders for the rear inner tires for the TST 507 6 sensor system we have), using the generator (kinda dreading the 4 hour change the oil experience , filling up the air in tires with a ViaAir (we tried a cheaper system and it took a lot longer), and setting up our Pepwave (ordering SIM cards, configuring internet settings, etc) + a lot more. All this prep I do believe helped us feel more at ease on the first part of our journey.

2/ PEPWAVE BR1 MAX MINI WITH DUAL SIM CARDS FROM VERIZON AND ANOTHER PROVIDER WORKED PRETTY WELL PLUGGED INTO THE PRE-INSTALLED POYNTING MIMO ANTENNA ON THE ROOF + PRE-INSTALLED 12V POWER PLUG…UNTIL IT DIDN’T : there are much more detailed and better posts on the pepwave airstream setup elsewhere in this forum (@WeekendBob is especially smart on this topic) but we purchased our own pepwave cellular router, 2 SIM cards, activated them and tested them out prior to our trip. We prioritized the non-Verizon SIM card over the Verizon one (started with 30GB prepaid plan which is pricey but we are in “test to see if this all works mode”) one but still ran into areas where there was no coverage. The other SIM card I tried turns out is not compatible with pepwaves so I have to find an alternate one for the next leg of our trip.

I’m sure there are cheaper/better ways to have mobile internet (please share which Verizon plan is best if you use them). We’re also still trying to get to the bottom of the power management issues for the WiFi Keyed Switch on the 2021 Interstates. We kept it on while at campsites (plugged into shore power) and kept it on while driving but turned it off while boondocking to not drain the batteries.

3/ TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES & BACKGROUND APP REFRESH ON ALL YOUR DEVICES TO NOT CRUSH YOUR DATA PLAN: While we DID do this prior to leaving our home, I wasn’t thorough enough. I should have turned off automatic updates on the Apple Watch bc it used 2GB of data on one of the days (I’m assuming installing an update). My wife went through a few GB forgetting to turn wifi off listening to a Netflix show too Our strategy has been to do the data-heavy things when we get to an AirBNB (helpful to break up the campsites with occasional normal shower or relatives house where they have a wifi access point that isn’t nearly as data limited.

4/ LEAVE VERY EARLY TO GET TO THE GRAND CANYON: this is a little non-sequitur compared to the other lessons learned, but I’m very glad we woke up at 5am, hit the road by 6am to drive from Kingman, AZ (boondocked at the Desert Diamond Distillery: good experience) to get to the Grand Canyon (daughter and wife’s first time). We arrived to snow on the ground (which I think my daughter enjoyed more than the Grand Canyon and moderate amount of people. Maybe a 5 min wait in your car to get into the park. When we left, there seemed to be miles of traffic to get in (around noon on a Saturday). Lesson learned: even in March during a pandemic, the Grand Canyon south rim can get VERY crowded on weekends. I’d imagine this summer will be even more busy.

5/ HAVING AN AIR COMPRESSOR, DUCT & VELCRO TAPE, A HANDHELD VACUUM & THE CERAMIC HEATER WERE THE MVPS OF THE TRIP : of course everyone’s experience is different but for us, we ended up noticing a slow tire leak in Villanueva State Park, NM (beautiful). Having the air compressor with us was hugely helpful (actually twice had to use it) b/c it took us 2 days to finally be convinced that something really must be wrong with one of our tires. We had to stop in Oklahoma City (Mercedes dealer there was particularly helpful with our Interstate) and Sallisaw, OK (hats off to Lee’s Tire Service there who figured out we had a nail in the tire > patched it same day. Fantastic service (even though they don’t specialize in Airstreams).

On the way to Villanueva, we also noticed a “flapping” below our Interstate. Turns out the UltraHeat heater pad was “unsticking” from the undercarriage of the vehicle. “This normally happens when the tank surface is not prep correctly by the installer on line at the manufacture” according to the manufacturer of the product who responded quickly to us. Thank you Mr. Duct Tape for helping at least temporarily here. Still need to crawl under our Interstate and re-affix the tank heater pad with heavy duty 3M tape or Gorilla Glue.

But the MVP (for us) was using this ceramic heater (no affiliate/commission links in any of these amazon URLs below). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We used the ceramic heater b/c we didn’t want to blow through our LP supply (after about 2.8 hrs total usage since we bought the unit, we are at 71% LP after starting “full”) to heat up the inside. We experienced at least 3 nights of sub-freezing weather. The coldest was 27 degrees in Kingman, AZ, Villanueva, NM and Silverpoint, TN. One of those 3 nights we boondocked (and used the Mr. Heater Buddy; worked pretty well) and the other 2 we were plugged in so we could use the ceramic heater (used 7amps on low settings; 12 amps on high) and it worked great. One of the first nights we slept in cold weather, the inside of the interstate got down to 41 degrees (we didn’t want to fall asleep leaving the ceramic heater turned on) and once we woke up and turned it on (early in the morning), within about an hour, the heater brought it up to 60 degrees.

I unplugged the exterior water hookups those nights, turned on the tank heaters and battery heater (keyed switch), shoved towels in the cavities that hold the waste water tank hoses and a tiny hand towel where the fresh water outdoor hose spigot is on the exterior of the Interstate. Who knows whether that helped insulate any pipes from freezing but we didn’t want to take any chances. We had an “Eve Degree” outdoor weather sensor that gave us the specific temperature in our location/campsite. Used a small piece of velcro tape to affix it to the outside of the RV in inconspicuous spot. Velcro tape also has been great to mount a 2nd carbon monoxide sensor (we put ours above the rear TV).

6/ THE FOLLOWING “HACKS” TO OUR INTERSTATE REALLY WORKED WELL
- CLAMPS & BASKETS : I appreciate the tiny wall inset “storage” areas on the far back right/left of the Interstate. Both have 2 USB ports which are helpful for charging your devices while you’re sleeping but I wanted a little more space to store some smaller items. After a lot of experimenting, we settled on buying 4 of these baskets AND a bag of these clamps (which we’ve found many uses for on this trip; my only gripe is the rubber protector parts fall off easily). I use 2 of the clamps to hold the basket from the small “storage inlets” on the far rear right/left side of the Interstate (near where your head is when you sleep). It’s more of a MacGyver-type solution than anything sightly/elegant but it works for us. We also used a 3rd basket immediately to the left of the stove top. We store fruits in the basket and just “clamp it” to the side wall.
- SUCTION CUP HOLDERS IN BATHROOM : i bet there are better setups in the wet bath but we bought 3 of these and it created great additional storage for bath odds and ends (toothbrush, soap, wipes, dog poop bags for TP = . These suction cup storage shelves were definitely one of the best purchases. When combined with the only narrow trash can we could find to fit in the nook next to the toilet (this one), we are pleased with our setup.
- CABBUNK: We have a 9 year old daughter who thinks she’s the offspring of a professional soccer player meets contortionist while she’s sleeping. Fitting her in almost king-sized bed in the back with the two of us IS doable but it doesn’t make for a restful sleep to say the least. We had been using an inflatable mattress by Pleasureway, and it works pretty well. There’s a good post here on the inflatables. While we brought the inflatable on this trip, we are trying the Cabbunk (pretty ingenious device from the UK) as my daughter has always wanted a “bunk bed” and this creates a “bunk” in the cab of your sprinter van. The inventor/manufacturer was very responsive when we had some initial challenges setting it up and now my wife has it down to a science. Happy to share more info if anyone is curious but it definitely works for us and my daughter loves it.
- LUSSO CAR ORGANIZER ON BACK OF DRIVERS SEAT : this was one of the first purchases I made after buying the Interstate to store a variety of things within easy reach. On any given day, we might have a flashlight, USB cables, iPad, books, NOAA Weather Radio (Midland), pens, in the various pouches. We also bought a simple hanging shoe rack that we bungee (notice MacGyver theme here around the back of the front passenger seat to store grocery bags, trash bags, flip flops, but it often gets in the way of going in and out of the vehicle. Not sure if we’d do that again.

7/ DOING THIS “FULL TIME” WITH A SCHOOL AGE KID IS HARD: we have been homeschooling our daughter since last fall and balancing the travel days while still keeping up with the school curriculum is challenging. We’re making it work, especially now that we’re able to spend some time with relatives on the East Coast but it is definitely challenging.

8/ RV TRIP WIZARD WAS A GREAT PLANNING TOOL AND WORTH THE ANNUAL FEE + DOWNLOADING OFFLINE GOOGLE MAPS IN CERTAIN REGIONS HELPED
Our months of planning and RV related YouTube video watching we found RV Trip Wizard. I’ve tried a number of apps + websites but this one takes the cake. I love it. I think the only big miscalculation we’ve done being newbies on this is relying on Google maps for trip durations. My wife says I’m the slowpoke driver (safety first!) and on this trip, we hit some pretty heavy wind in AZ, NM, TN that caused our crosswind assist to kick in MANY times. What google maps said takes 5 hours often took us 7 (driving sometimes ~60MPH in 75 MPH limit areas due to wind; quick stops for gas). We’re now trying to limit our days to 4-5 hr drives max (including my Zootopia sloth DMV driving pace).

9/ WALKIE TALKIES : we’ve owned Motorola T605 walkie talkies for a long time; there were 2 great aspects about having these on our RV trip. 1/ in areas where there was no cell reception (ex. Parts of the road to Villanueva, NM) we could still speak to each other and 2/ with a push of just 1 button you can switch the walkie talkie to NOAA weather mode and listen to the local weather report for storm warnings. We were about a day behind some terrible thunderstorms/tornados and literally missed a tornado in Palo Duro State Park (it was entirely booked up when I tried to get a reservation so we didn’t stay there.). Frequently checking weather.gov, weather apps like Carrot (which I find hilarious), and the NOAA Weather Radio was helpful.

9/ GO PRO MOUNTED ON DASHBOARD WITH VOICE COMMANDS TURNED ON WAS GREAT WAY TO CAPTURE PARTS OF THE TRIP : to document some of the trip we mounted a go-pro to the dashboard and turned on voice command feature to do “hands free” filming when we drove into some of the parks.

10/ EMPTYING THE “STINKY SLINKY” ISN’T AS FEAR-INDUCING AS I THOUGHT: while my wife would say, “hey, I did all of the dump stations” (true), the emptying the tanks experience wasn’t’ as scary as we thought. No problems so far! Our “prep” has been using these GloveWorks Gloves (thank you ), face mask, disinfecting wipes (to wipe down the end of the tank hose), plastic bag to wrap around the end of the tank hose when done and small garbage bag to throw the wipes and gloves in there. For our family of 3, our black/grey tanks fill up every 3 days or so. We noticed a “navy shower” takes 10% of the fresh/adds 10% to gray water for my daughter and I. My wife uses about 20% of fresh water for her showers.

I’m sure there are things here that we’re not doing right (and welcome any and all guidance) and there are many more lessons learned, but I hope there is at least 1 morsel of advice in here that helps especially newbies! I will hopefully have a part 2 of this when we return to the west coast in August (after heading up to New England and then across the northern route home). Be safe!

THE APPENDIX: Other random stuff. We use a water pressure regulator at campsites in case there's high pressure coming in (Edgar Evins State Park in TN has high pressure as example at some/most sites). Our DEF alert went off around 3500 miles. Bought some at a gas station (our Mercedes dealer said any DEF is ok) and poured all 2.5 gallons in. We are now LIKELY running into solar panel charging problems (another post of mine that I’m troubleshooting). #1 campsite so far… Mississippi River State Park, Beechpoint Campground, Site 14 (full hookup) in Marianna, AR. Runner up: Villanueva State Park, NM (site 9 - electrical/water).

*we’re now on day 22 of our journey
BeachBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Nice post. Back in 2017, I published a blog post titled TOP TEN LESSONS FROM AN OFF-GRID MONTH ON THE ROAD. My challenges were a bit different from yours, as I was trying to combine vacation and non-vacation travel elements, chiefly paid work and land management. I felt mostly unsuccessful at balancing everything, but it was a rewarding trip anyway.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
Thanks so much! very excited to read your blog post. will do today!
Old 04-16-2021, 07:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’m currently on day 22 of a workamping trip in the southwest. I’m trying to work during the day and relax in the afternoons and evenings, taking an occasional day off to enjoy the local sights. Overall, it has worked well.

I knew I’d need reasonable internet service for Zoom calls, so we have been staying at larger campgrounds than we prefer. Good connectivity is important to me on this particular trip. For the most part, I’ve had reasonable success using teleconferencing by using WiFi for video, and my phone for audio. I’ve occasionally had to turn off my video feed due to bandwidth issues, but that’s okay. I’ve got AT&T wireless service for my phone, and I’ve also got a Verizon Jetpack. I have the Unlimited Plus plan, which gives fast service up to 30 GB per month, then slows after that. I’ve also got a WeBoost Drive X RV system that works well. I’ve been able to work from the road pretty seamlessly.

The tips above are great. If you’re taking a long trip in your Airstream, then you should work out the bugs or other issues before you hit the road.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
Thanks Dennis for sharing your internet setup. super helpful! hoping to explore Colorado (maybe not on this trip but soon). any favorite state parks/campsites?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
InterBlog, really enjoyed reading your 2017 post. wow, what an adventure. we haven't mustered up the strength yet to do really remote boondocking but posts like yours are so eye-opening. thank you!
Old 04-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBrad View Post
Thanks Dennis for sharing your internet setup. super helpful! hoping to explore Colorado (maybe not on this trip but soon). any favorite state parks/campsites?
It depends on what kind of experience you want. I like small campgrounds or boondocking. One of our favorite little campgrounds is Happy Meadows, just north of Lake George, CO. You can camp literally steps away from the South Platte River, which offers excellent fly fishing. If you’re looking for a bigger RV Resort experience, then Tiger Run RV Resort in Breckenridge is great. We also camp quite a bit on private land at riverside locations to fish.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:56 AM   #8
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Brad, thanks for the post of your cross country adventure. Not only is it enjoyable to read about the experience, it also provides an opportunity to learn. Without people sharing there would be little value in being a member!

Safe travels!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:04 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
thanks so much! fellow members have been helpful for me many times in the short stint I've been on this site so just wanted to do my small part to help others...if it's helpful
Old 04-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Ajax , Ontario
Thank you!

This is an awesome post, thank you! While not as ambitious as you, we are getting in gear for the RV season up here in Canada
Winder119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And each time you travel you will learn a bit more, continuously refining your new-found expertise.

Maggie
Old 04-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
Thanks Winder119! When the borders open up I'd love to make it up to Canada. Any favorite campsites up there? Our ideal is probably by a lake with a mountain view with nice amount of privacy/space between sites...and at very least electrical hookup. I'd imagine Canada is filled with those views!
Old 04-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
2021 Interstate 24GL
Searsmont , Maine
Great Post, and exciting! We are doing the complete opposite in a few days, flying out west, and driving a similar unit back East. (Yes I said East this time)
Sight unseen however! We have done this before with a Eurovan and at the time (4 kids) so we are used to adventures and learning on the fly!

Your tips are helpful, but I had a question on the City Water Pressure regulator. It is my understanding that these units have built in pressure regulators? I don't believe my 2017 flying Cloud does, but I believe your 2021 Interstate has one built in.
Sawmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawmiller View Post
Great Post, and exciting! We are doing the complete opposite in a few days, flying out west, and driving a similar unit back East. (Yes I said East this time)
Sight unseen however! We have done this before with a Eurovan and at the time (4 kids) so we are used to adventures and learning on the fly!

Your tips are helpful, but I had a question on the City Water Pressure regulator. It is my understanding that these units have built in pressure regulators? I don't believe my 2017 flying Cloud does, but I believe your 2021 Interstate has one built in.
Sawmiller, how exciting! wow, you did this with 4 kids. hats off. that's amazing. yeah, per page 6-5 of the Interstate 2021 manual (page 59) it DOES say "For consistent water flow and plumbing line safety, an in-line regulator limits pressure to 50 psi".

I can't remember where I saw it (whether it was a post or video) that said it's just an extra precaution in case you get a really high psi city water connection, you don't want to blow your water lines. I say this with the knowledge of a total newbie. My calculus was "probably overkill but would rather minimize possible problems". look forward to hearing about your adventure.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Great post BeachBrad! Sounds like a fun trip without too many issues. Thanks to your preparedness before hand. I look forward to reading about your return trip in August.
Happy Summer!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
InterBlog, really enjoyed reading your 2017 post. wow, what an adventure. we haven't mustered up the strength yet to do really remote boondocking but posts like yours are so eye-opening. thank you!
Thanks! We continued to develop our off-grid property in the years that followed, and in fact quarantined for 2 weeks there in August 2020 after driving into Nova Scotia from the U.S. It has been worth it to develop such a place, because ordinary camping venues can't hold a candle to that kind of experience. BTW in the pic below, the flags on the directional cellular antenna (a spruce pole we cut on site) are Nova Scotia above, Texas below. We flip the primacy depending on which country we happen to be in.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:20 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
wow, beautiful. Nova Scotia is gorgeous. went there once (Peggy's Cove/Halifax) eons ago. Directionally cellular antenna on a spruce pole! that is fantastic. just curious..which antenna have you found works the best?
Old 04-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #18
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
BeachBrad, it was thread like this one that got us prepared for our first few trips. We were ready thanks to the feedback and suggestions from forum members. Thank you for sharing your experience!! And wish you many happy and safe miles ahead!

Our next big trip will be to the Grand Canyon. My wife has never been there. I was there for the first time, two years ago, as part of one of the stops when I went riding motorcycle from Orlando, FL to San Diego, CA with a few friends. No amount of photos or videos can prepare you for the experience... what a place...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
Quote:
Thanks Winder119! When the borders open up I'd love to make it up to Canada. Any favorite campsites up there? Our ideal is probably by a lake with a mountain view with nice amount of privacy/space between sites...and at very least electrical hookup. I'd imagine Canada is filled with those views!
This is one of the best areas for camping and easy drive to many other great spots on both sides of the border.

Waterton Lakes National park. Plenty of of great spots nearby.

https://wanderlustcrew.com/why-water...sit-in-canada/
Old 04-21-2021, 06:32 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
wow, thanks Zach. Waterton Lakes National Park looks amazing.