Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Site Team

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Titling your Interstate.

Quick question here. Given every Interstate has two unique identifiers, the Airstream serial number and the Mercedes VIN, which of these numbers do you have on the title for your camper? The current FL title for the Interstate we buy on Friday has the MB VIN on it. Insurance company says they can live with that, that they are rating it as an Airstream, and they have both unique numbers, but the agent thought it odd that the MB VIN was on the title instead of the Airstream serial number. Your thoughts?

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Quick question here. Given every Interstate has two unique identifiers, the Airstream serial number and the Mercedes VIN, which of these numbers do you have on the title for your camper? The current FL title for the Interstate we buy on Friday has the MB VIN on it. Insurance company says they can live with that, that they are rating it as an Airstream, and they have both unique numbers, but the agent thought it odd that the MB VIN was on the title instead of the Airstream serial number. Your thoughts?
Congratulations. You own a Mercedes Cargo Van.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Congratulations. You own a Mercedes Cargo Van.
Yeah, that was my concern. Which number is on your title?

Old 09-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
I had that problem. Original owner titled it with the MB VIN. Our treasurer couldn’t fix it, so it’s still that way, but at the reduced Class B rate due to it having the class B amenities. Took a couple of trips to the courthouse to get it done, but they worked with me on it.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yeah, that was my concern. Which number is on your title?
IIRC, I think it's titled as a motorhome with the appropriate square footage, but uses the VIN, which comes back, of course, as just a van. And in MY case in particular, as a Dodge van by VIN. Freightliner badged T1Ns would be registered as a Freightliner van.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post
I had that problem. Original owner titled it with the MB VIN. Our treasurer couldn’t fix it, so it’s still that way, but at the reduced Class B rate due to it having the class B amenities. Took a couple of trips to the courthouse to get it done, but they worked with me on it.
The VIN is the VIN for the vehicle as assigned when manufactured. The upfitters' ID, whatever that may be, is irrelevant to the DOT/DMV. My big Born Free Super-C on the Chevy Kodiak chassis is registered as a Kodiak cut-away chassis, but a motorhome, again with the appropriate square footage for licensing as a motorhome.

It really makes no difference as long as you're titled as a motorhome and paying motorhome registration fees/tax rates on it... and it keeps the cops happy 'cause the VIN on the dash matches the VIN on the paperwork.

My Coachmen B-Van was registered as a Ford van-motorhome, and my '01 Born Free on an e-450 chassis was also registered as a Ford cutaway. I can't remember if there's a place on the title/registration for the upfitter's brand or not.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
The VIN is the VIN for the vehicle as assigned when manufactured. The upfitters' ID, whatever that may be, is irrelevant to the DOT/DMV. My big Born Free Super-C on the Chevy Kodiak chassis is registered as a Kodiak cut-away chassis, but a motorhome, again with the appropriate square footage for licensing as a motorhome.
Thatís not what the Warren County treasurerís office believes. Worked out to end up that way, though.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I believe my title has both VINís on it.

I have a license plate and sticker for an RV.

The important thing with insurance is to be sure they have both VIN#ís as you are insuring the van that has been converted to an RV.

My insurance card says ďAirstream InterstateĒ.

You could conceivably have a claim on the RV part or the van part, and should it be totaled you want to be paid for the RV not the van.

Donít ask how I know this last bit.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post
That’s not what the Warren County treasurer’s office believes. Worked out to end up that way, though.
I know. That's one of the interesting things about having 99 licensing stations throughout the state... sometimes things get lost in the translation at each County Treasurer. But in the end... the chassis VIN is what goes on the title. The upfitter info is merely for the taxation/fees part of the registration process.

Now I'm curious. I'll have to go dig my title out and look at it.

On edit: My title says it's a 2004 Make: Airstream Model: Sprinter and has the Dodge VIN. If you run the vin, it will come back as a Dodge Van. So there you have it. Right off the title.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Thanks, all. Our seller's title, with the MB VIN on it, lists the Make as "AITC" and the Body as "MH," and the use as "Private," so this is definitely a motor home title. Our insurance card now has the MB VIN on it and the vehicle is identified as Make: Airstream and Model: 3500 EXT. Per my earlier comments, our insurance company has both the MB VIN and the Airstream Serial Number. The latter is held as note on the policy.

Given the bulk of responses here, I guess that's going to be OK, and as some folks have noted, if a police officer wanted to compare the number on the insurance card with the VIN on the dash, that officer would be easily satisfied that our insurance is good, without a bunch of explanations.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
On this same “two VIN’s” subject, I recently had a huge something impact my windshield on the road and in the replacing under my comprehensive had some confusion with my State Farm office.

Tho we had had a ClassB insured there for over 13 years, and I’m sure not the only RV on a truck chassis that is covered by them, the agents designee called to ask whether the windshield applied to the Van or the RV.

It was a bit irritating.

The windshield replacement folks couldn’t use the contracted claims system, because it would only take the RV VIN#, which came up empty for a windshield part.

I am explaining this poorly, as I don’t really understand it, but the agent had to submit a manual claim in order to pay for the windshield.

I didn’t have the experience of SF not covering a claim, but then I am not feeble minded nor unable to articulate.

I did have the experience in 2018 where they initially wanted to issue coverage for a totaled 12 year old van, rather than an RV, tho it was clearly an Airstream Interstate that was covered.

So, a cautionary tale...stay on your toes with these kinds of things, and keep both VIN#’s where you can access them easily, is my suggestion.

Maggie

Old 09-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
On this same ďtwo VINísĒ subject, I recently had a huge something impact my windshield on the road and in the replacing under my comprehensive had some confusion with my State Farm office.

Tho we had had a ClassB insured there for over 13 years, and Iím sure not the only RV on a truck chassis that is covered by them, the agents designee called to ask whether the windshield applied to the Van or the RV.

It was a bit irritating.

The windshield replacement folks couldnít use the contracted claims system, because it would only take the RV VIN#, which came up empty for a windshield part.

I am explaining this poorly, as I donít really understand it, but the agent had to submit a manual claim in order to pay for the windshield.

I didnít have the experience of SF not covering a claim, but then I am not feeble minded nor unable to articulate.

I did have the experience in 2018 where they initially wanted to issue coverage for a totaled 12 year old van, rather than an RV, tho it was clearly an Airstream Interstate that was covered.

So, a cautionary tale...stay on your toes with these kinds of things, and keep both VIN#ís where you can access them easily, is my suggestion.

Maggie
That's really interesting, Maggie. Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't even know what the Airstream ID is on my van. I'm sure it's in the paperwork. I can't imagine how that even came into play for you for insurance? How companies manage to screw this stuff up so royally is just beyond me.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The VIN# is on your purchase paperwork. I keep both numbers together in a couple of different places.

It really wasn’t a huge issue with SF, tho it was like so many things in that you have to be on your toes and looking out for your own best interest...with everything.

We hire people to represent us, but their bottom line always wants to sift toward the top, is my experience with many things.

Maggie

Old 09-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #14
Site Team

The Airstream Serial Number will be on the original build sheet for your RV. It is probably also stamped on an Airstream sticker somewhere on (or in) your RV.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #15
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Our state utilized the MB VIN for title and tag. The insurance card from our agent has the MB VIN but clearly refers to the vehicle as an Airstream Interstate motorhome and the agent has the Airstream identification number on file. It's also confusing because the MB VIN is a 2008 but the Airstream Interstate is a 2010.

Since we purchased our van used, and not from a dealer, we only had to pay taxes on a MB cargo van. Yippee! The state didn't care what we paid for the van - they taxed us the fact that it is a MB NCV3 3500 (commercial vehicle) but it does not require a CDL in our state. Who knows!? But I'm glad we didn't have to pay taxes on an Interstate motorhome. Same thing occurred when we owned and Airstream B190 on a Ford E-350 chassis.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #16
Site Team

Hey, thanks for that tax tip! We pick up the van tomorrow and register / pay taxes tomorrow afternoon, so we'll see what happens here. Our insurance card mimics yours - MB VIN on the card, while showing an Airstream Interstate name.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #17
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Our state utilized the MB VIN for title and tag. The insurance card from our agent has the MB VIN but clearly refers to the vehicle as an Airstream Interstate motorhome and the agent has the Airstream identification number on file. It's also confusing because the MB VIN is a 2008 but the Airstream Interstate is a 2010.

Since we purchased our van used, and not from a dealer, we only had to pay taxes on a MB cargo van. Yippee! The state didn't care what we paid for the van - they taxed us the fact that it is a MB NCV3 3500 (commercial vehicle) but it does not require a CDL in our state. Who knows!? But I'm glad we didn't have to pay taxes on an Interstate motorhome. Same thing occurred when we owned and Airstream B190 on a Ford E-350 chassis.
That's really interesting... in Iowa, you could pay substantially more to have a plain cargo van registered annually than a Class B motorhome

My Interstate is $65/year. When you buy a vehicle, tax is paid on the total sale price, of course, but after that it's $65. My Born Free Super-C is $80. Pickups used to be $65 also as they were considered "farm implements" but that's changed and pickup trucks, and passenger and cargo vans are also subject to the same standard value/age formula that is used for passenger vehicles, unless they're owned commercially, and then a completely different chart comes into play. So my Jeep and my wife's RAV 4 are both just under $400/year. It's amazing how registration fees vary so much from state to state.

https://www.iowataxandtags.org/vehic...-vehicle-type/