Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
Angry Tires anyone?

2016 Interstate - 4 Alcoa wheels, 2 steel interior rear wheels.

Replaced OEM Continentals at 20k with Michelin Defender LTX-M/S and love them. Now at 80k tires are ready to be replaced.

Michelin states, via e-mail: "We thank you for the contact information for the Michelin Defender LTX M/S or Michelin LTX M/S2 tires in size LT215/85R16 inch tires! Unfortunately, this tire size is discontinued in these tire models. We do offer and recommend our new Michelin Agilis CrossClimate."

CrossClimate is not rated nearly as well and many report they don't last longer than the Continentals.

What other options have folks tried that ride and handle well and last long? I find myself at a sad crossroads . . . the Defenders handled any terrain and weather (excluding snowstorms) thrown at them magnificently.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I too like my Michelin Defenders. When its time to replace them my first look will be at the Agilis Crossclimate. There is apparently a 'C' version that has higher load carrying capacity but (per some posts) at the expense of a rougher ride. I am not sure that I see the need for higher capacity as the standard ones (E I think) are rated for a higher load than I have. Have not heard that the Agilis are rated worse than Defenders, but haven't really done much research.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:08 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Different application ( we have them on the trailer ): So far the Cross Climate's seem to be doing very well. They replaced the Defenders when it was time to re-tire.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Ocala , Florida
We just replaced our front tires with Firestone Transforce HT2’s. So far so good but haven’t owned them long enough to be able to judge durability. Hopefully a better overall tire than the Continentals it came with
KatieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Salem , New Hampshire
We replaced our 6 tires with the Agilis CrossClimates "E" version last year around 30k miles. We’ve driven on them for about 10k miles and no issues with them thus far and very happy happy with them. We really haven’t driven much in the snow with the AIGT as we didn’t have our tanks and plumbing insulated but did do it early this year so we’ll being doing more winter camping this year. Overall, we’re happy with them and will see how they do in the snow this year.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
There are two different styles of Agilis Cross Climate - The C-metric versions are rated much higher than the LT-rated versions. The rating is a little confusing. The "C" does not mean Load Range C. It took me a while to figure that out. The C-metrics were specifically designed for use on vehicles like Sprinter vans. I put them on my Classic 30.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Getting to be close to new tire time and trying to figure out why one would want the higher load class 'C European' tire. Per the specs for the 'normal' E class of 215 85R16 Agilis CrossClimate the load capacity of single tire is 2680# and dual is 2470#. Weighed my Interstate and it was 1880# per front tire and 1545# per rear tire. These figures assume the same weight on both sides, which may not be quite true. But appears I have am running 62% (rear) and 70% (front) of the E class load limits. Is this 30 to 38% margin not enough. I assume the C European version has poorer ride quality - correct?

(Note that it may be a moot point, since I can't find the C European tire available in the 215 85R16 size on the Michelin website.)
Old 10-07-2022, 01:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
FWIW, a good source on RV tire information from a tire engineer can be found at https://www.rvtiresafety.net/

Specifically to this discussion there are a few articles of note;
https://www.rvtiresafety.net/2019/02...ire-is-it.html
&
https://www.rvtiresafety.net/2017/09...rminology.html
Old 10-07-2022, 01:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Getting to be close to new tire time and trying to figure out why one would want the higher load class 'C European' tire. Per the specs for the 'normal' E class of 215 85R16 Agilis CrossClimate the load capacity of single tire is 2680# and dual is 2470#. Weighed my Interstate and it was 1880# per front tire and 1545# per rear tire. These figures assume the same weight on both sides, which may not be quite true. But appears I have am running 62% (rear) and 70% (front) of the E class load limits. Is this 30 to 38% margin not enough. I assume the C European version has poorer ride quality - correct?

(Note that it may be a moot point, since I can't find the C European tire available in the 215 85R16 size on the Michelin website.)

In your case, I would go with the LT tire.

In my case, the highest loaded tire in a 4-wheel weigh of my trailer was 2200#. I had been running the Michelin LT tires at 75#. That gives me only a little over 16% margin when I have seen 10%-15% recommended for reserve due to Interply shear (not an issue with your use). The C-metrics gave me over 32% at 75 psi. I could run them at 65 psi and still have over 19% margin. I'm still testing to determine the optimum pressure.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
CrossClimate is not rated nearly as well and many report they don't last longer than the Continentals.
This article addresses the differences between the LTX and Agilis;
https://www.rvtiresafety.net/2022/01...s-line-of.html
Old 10-08-2022, 08:14 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
This article addresses the differences between the LTX and Agilis;
https://www.rvtiresafety.net/2022/01...s-line-of.html
Hi

There are multiple tires sold as Cross Climates, some are rated better than others, both in the same size tire. The cost delta between the two is trivial so there is not much reason to go for the lower rated tire.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:43 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Key Largo , Florida
[QUOTE=AI Joe;2630560]2016 Interstate - 4 Alcoa wheels, 2 steel interior rear wheels.

"What other options have folks tried that ride and handle well and last long? I find myself at a sad crossroads . . . the Defenders handled any terrain and weather (excluding snowstorms) thrown at them magnificently."

Appreciate all the tire information provided by many AF users. While useful, I still am searching for the best replacements for my Michelin DEFENDER LX215/85/R16- E tires, which are no longer available. As noted, seems in Michelin the only choice is the Agilis Cross Climate. Many note their disappointment with the Agilis CC; so anyone have any other options. My tire dealer suggests that the 2158516 FIRESTONE TRANS FORCE HT2 is just as good for 25% less in price.

Thoughts please - other tire options?
Old 10-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Oak Lawn , Illinois
I replaced my tires last year with Michelin Agilis Cross Climate LT215/85R16115RE1BSW. I researched them on Discount Tires website and they were rated as the "Best" and the reviews also praised them. I also had Discount Tires install them.

These are the 3rd set of tires for my AI. I will say in my opinion, these are the best tires I have had. Immediately after they were installed I noticed the ride was really good. A few weeks later, I replaced the struts and shocks with Konis.

Last year when I was traveling through Utah and Arizona on Hwy 89 (or was it 89A), I marveled how well my van handled these curvy roads. I would say this is the best my van has ever rode and handled, better than new. Of course, that was 13 years ago so I don't really remember. I do not have the air ride suspension.

The original factory tires were Kumho, replaced with BF Goodrich, and now Michelin. I have a 2010 Airstream Interstate that I bought in 2009, built on a 2008 Sprinter 3500 chassis.

The specs for the Agilis that Titus noted earlier are the same for my tires. I wholeheartedly recommend these tires. I don't worry about longevity because I have realized that it is best to change them every 5 or 6 years regardless of what the threads look like. I also don't rotate them even though Discount tire said would and include this in their road warranty. Not sure why you would want a higher load rating. We always over pack and travel with a full freshwater tank.
rvheliskier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
"A few weeks later, I replaced the struts and shocks with Konis."

What part number of Koni struts and shocks did you use? If they were adjustable (5 settings as I understand it, with 1 being the softest), what setting did you use?

BTW, On the Sprinter Forum I see an assessment of rocking due to a side force, with Fox being the best.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:01 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Oak Lawn , Illinois
I bought them from the Sprinter Store. About $800.

KONI-3507n-FSD31 Front Struts
KONI-3507n-88 Rear shocks.
Not sure what setting. I did discuss this with the Mercedes Dealer mechanic, but don't remember what setting they installed with.
rvheliskier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvheliskier2 View Post
I replaced my tires last year with Michelin Agilis Cross Climate LT215/85R16115RE1BSW. I researched them on Discount Tires website and they were rated as the "Best" and the reviews also praised them. I also had Discount Tires install them.

These are the 3rd set of tires for my AI. I will say in my opinion, these are the best tires I have had. Immediately after they were installed I noticed the ride was really good. A few weeks later, I replaced the struts and shocks with Konis.

Last year when I was traveling through Utah and Arizona on Hwy 89 (or was it 89A), I marveled how well my van handled these curvy roads. I would say this is the best my van has ever rode and handled, better than new. Of course, that was 13 years ago so I don't really remember. I do not have the air ride suspension.

The original factory tires were Kumho, replaced with BF Goodrich, and now Michelin. I have a 2010 Airstream Interstate that I bought in 2009, built on a 2008 Sprinter 3500 chassis.

The specs for the Agilis that Titus noted earlier are the same for my tires. I wholeheartedly recommend these tires. I don't worry about longevity because I have realized that it is best to change them every 5 or 6 years regardless of what the threads look like. I also don't rotate them even though Discount tire said would and include this in their road warranty. Not sure why you would want a higher load rating. We always over pack and travel with a full freshwater tank.

Thanks much. I too am up to 3rd set of tires when I replace my Michelin Defenders next month. Original tires were Factory supplied Continentals - lasted only about 20k. The Defenders are now on 50k miles and except for some front end misalignment wear they are still good, but aging.

I would replace with Defenders but Michelin has discontinued our size. I have read the Agilis do not last as long; guess I’ll find out.

Suspension upgraded with Agile
leaf-springs and Bilstein & Falcon shocks; also raised chassis by 2” - absolutely love the upgrade.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Joe View Post
Suspension upgraded with Agile
leaf-springs and Bilstein & Falcon shocks; also raised chassis by 2” - absolutely love the upgrade.
We did the the VanCompass Stage 3 kit on our 2015 AIGT as it's a 2x4. In hindsight, we should've probably gone with the Stage 4 that included a 2" lift. Still could get that portion done as it would be nice to get an extra 2"'s when working underneath.

Overall better ride but it doesn't completely eliminate the sway when in back of 18 wheelers but definitely improvement everywhere else especially on cornering.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:01 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Key Largo , Florida
StogieMan: Guess then what we did was the "Stage 4." Was done by Hazzard Fabworks in Spokane Washington. They also did a few other modifications - raised propane fill into lower fiberglass trim; same with generator exhaust. We love the added height - makes a big difference when off-road and easier access to get under the van. Would still like to replace the sway bar - but the generator is in the way. Waiting for a new design sway bar. As for tires, guess it will be the Agilis CC's; suspect I'll love them as much as I do the Michelin Defenders. I do an annual front-end alignment at Josam Freight in Orlando, Florida.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:17 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Joe View Post
StogieMan: Guess then what we did was the "Stage 4." Was done by Hazzard Fabworks in Spokane Washington. They also did a few other modifications - raised propane fill into lower fiberglass trim; same with generator exhaust. We love the added height - makes a big difference when off-road and easier access to get under the van. Would still like to replace the sway bar - but the generator is in the way. Waiting for a new design sway bar. As for tires, guess it will be the Agilis CC's; suspect I'll love them as much as I do the Michelin Defenders. I do an annual front-end alignment at Josam Freight in Orlando, Florida.

We had the Hellwig Sway Bar installed at the same time. When went to pick it up, the installer said that they had a heck of a time getting it installed due to the generator.

Like I mentioned, doesn’t completely remove the sway but a big difference from what the stock was and should have done it early on.

I just checked the Van Compass site and was surprised that the price dropped on the Stage 3 and it’s because the front Bilstein B6 struts are not available.

https://vancompass.com/collections/s...2007-2018-ncv3