Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie View Post
The front OEM tires were badly worn and cupped on the outer edges at 23,000 miles ( never rotated)
When you do alignment, have the camber set to the closest setting to vertical as the spec allows. May require special camber bolts to achieve this. That will minimize the outer edge cupping if my theory is correct. Don't have enuf miles on mine since rotating and aligning to check.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
When you do alignment, have the camber set to the closest setting to vertical as the spec allows. May require special camber bolts to achieve this. That will minimize the outer edge cupping if my theory is correct. Don't have enuf miles on mine since rotating and aligning to check.
Outer edge wear is a sign of improper camber, as you suggest. But "cupping" can more often be traced to improper wheel balancing. Don't assume that the wheels were properly balanced when you bought the van.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You're correct. Cupping is usually caused by toe, shocks, and balance. Mine weren't cupped, just wearing the outer rib off evenly. Wasn't paying attention when I posted before.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:17 AM   #44
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just an FYI:

The term "cupping wear" is frequently misused to describe several different types of irregular tire wear, including one that is caused strictly by alignment. Even perfect round and perfectly balanced tires can get this type of wear.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Does anyone run the TST TPMS? It will allow you monitor all your tires while your driving. Increase Tire Life, and know of problem before it becomes catastrophic. Monitors temp. as well.
Any questions feel free to ask or call me at 770-889-9102
Mike TST
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #46

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTST View Post
Does anyone run the TST TPMS? It will allow you monitor all your tires while your driving. Increase Tire Life, and know of problem before it becomes catastrophic. Monitors temp. as well.
Mike TST
I run it and so far it has worked well. No problems, no complaints.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTST View Post
Mike TST
Hi Mike,
I have the TST Sytems on my Interstate. It works great and has given me the ability to avoid the risk of running a tire flat as I did last spring. Before I installed your TPMS I had an inner dual tire go flat for some unknown distance. I checked the tires OK when heading out in the morning and again at a mid-day rest stop where I discovered the flat.

Mine is the 507 model with flow-thru sensors and I have a question. The owners manual says you should get a Sensor Low Battery Indication. I had one sensor stop giving me information so I assumed it was a bad battery since they have been on my van for about a year now. When I opened up the sensor to change the battery I discovered that a bit of water had got inside and caused some corrosion. That old battery was down to 1.5 volts.

Any clue why I didn't get a Sensor Low Battery Indication?

I cleaned it up and installed a new battery and now it is working fine. I also changed all the other sensor batteries and none had any water or corrosion inside. The other cells were all at 3.0 volts. The new batteries were at 3.2 volts. So all is good but I'd like to understand why I didn't get the Sensor Low Battery Indication.

Thanks,
- - Mike
2013 Interstate on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote