Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
A few points.
Every aftermarket TPM system I have seen includes instructions on how to place each sensor (cap) so the monitor reports the correct position and inflation number. Reading the instructions might help.

Metal bolt-on valve stems are normally brass or if silver in color is nickel plated brass. In my 40 years as a tire design engineer, I do not recall ever seeing "steel" stems.

Stems are available in many different lengths. A competent tire service center should know this and be able to get a length appropriate for your individual situation. If not then IMO you need a better tire store.

Balance: Can't figure out how a sensor that weighs 1/2 to 3/4 OZ can possibly result in a tire/wheel assembly is out of balance by many ounces. Again a competent store knows that if you need more than a couple of oz of weights there is something wrong. The tire is not properly mounted or seated on the wheel. or the wheel is not properly mounted to the hub or there is something wrong with the tire itself (out or round or other problem ) and maybe it needs to be replaced.

If you run TPMS it is recommended that metal stems be used. We have seen examples of rubber stems flexing and a few even failing due to the stem movement.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mer Paddler View Post
X 2 on the beads👍
X 3 on the beads. Last montb I installed new Goodyear Endurance tires on my 23FB before departing on an 1,500 mile trip to Death Valley. Ride was smooth, though I have always felt there was no problem with two previous sets of tires.

FWIW the Les Schwab tire dealer said they do not install centramatics because they do not like to place anything between the wheel and the hub, as apparently the centramatics require. He said the big rigs use ceramic beads routinely with good results.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Do you use 'big rig' tires on your IS?

I believe the Centramatics were originally designed for the trucking industry.
As far as wheel offset goes, the CM's add far too little to damage anything.
Clean mating surfaces are much more important, with or without CM.
Fifteen Seasons of usage, would not be without them.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontzdav View Post
I’ve run 30,000 miles with Eez Tire Tms in original rubber valve stems. No issues.
TST claims you don't need to install metal stems, since the cap sensor only weighs 0.54 oz.
But in the words of Mick Jagger, "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!"

On the topic of airing dual wheels, my previous motor home had extensions on the inner dual. A flexible steel tube as shown above by WoodrowB. It attached to a lug nut so it didn't move. I'd air both duals from outside. Never leaked.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote