Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2021, 07:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Amusing anecdote with an advisory on the combination washer and dryer that AdvancedRV installed in "Asteroid of Happiness", which is their latest B box (vid below).

I wish I could hatch a separate thread on Class B-centric house builds. We made such a thread for garages, and I also hatched a popular thread called "Buying your own boondocking land". The next obvious progression in that series is cottages and houses, but the trouble there is that they are private spaces and not good candidates for show-and-tell on the internet. In person, sure, but not for unconstrained public disclosure.

Anyway, to make a long story short, LB_3 and I built one, and it is amazing - it exceeds our expectations. It's only 500 square feet, but because of the way we designed it, it functions like a full-sized house, except that of course, it's essentially a tiny house and it cannot accept full-sized appliances by design.

So we got one of those 24-inch all-in-one washer-dryer things, which most Americans don't have any experience with - in giving tours, I have found that most people don't even know such things exist as a purchasing option (they are more popular in space-squeezed Europe).

They do exist, and they work surprisingly well to clean and dry clothes, with a caveat: In order to dry clothing without venting, they tend to get hotter than hell if you allow them to do their own thinking. As a newbie user, I accidentally mixed a very expensive Patagonia tech hiking shirt in with sheets and towels. You know, one of those wicking, always-dry, always-breathing shirts. Anyway, the shirt got BBQ'd through that accident. Patagonia makes good durable stuff, and it did not shrink or disintegrate. But the heat BBQ'd permanent wrinkles into it such that it now looks like crackled glass. That kind of heat is OK for cotton sheets and towels, but not for tech fabric.

I'm not giving up my shirt, so henceforth, I'll be the one walking around looking strangely like crackled glass, LOL.

Here's "Asteroid of Happiness", and you can see the washer-dryer installed in it:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This is shaping up to become the poor man's EarthRoamer. The Tacozilla, 3-minute vid:

Old 10-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
If you go back, hike to the Lighthouse formation. Long hike, but well worth it. You can easily climb up to the bench between the two towers. The view from the bench is awesome.

We just returned from Palo Duro and the Lighthouse hike is awesome. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4468.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	491.5 KB
ID:	406542
Powerrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I am not endorsing this outfit - just mentioning it:

Omaze is... what is this process called?! It's like raffling but in a for-profit context. They are raffling off an Airstream Interstate 24X.

This isn't the first camper van that they have offered up, and I attempted to research their legitimacy previously. Because they are not a charity in themselves, their extent of financial disclosure is limited. Various accounts (e.g., this one) have noted that the amount that they give to their designated charities is probably a small percentage of their total cash flow. But at the same time, that cash would not be flowing at all if they were not successful at this novel business model.

So, not much of your $$$ goes to the charity in question, but what other gig offers you a chance at winning an Interstate? And your odds of winning, although small, are clearly much better than playing the lottery, assuming their published stats are correct. I can see the attraction of the deal.

Screenshot for posterity as this campaign will expire soon enough:

Old 11-26-2021, 07:20 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I didn't click on 'Enter Now' to find the price of the raffle ticket. But when I jut went to the website it showed 664 entrants. Not sure how the number would have decreased. My money is on 'scam'.

I also note the following in the legal disclaimer, which doesn't sound like a raffle:
NO PURCHASE, PAYMENT, OR DONATION OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE, PAYMENT, OR DONATION WILL NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Campervan Instagrammers thetriointransit DIY'd a recirculating shower and produced both IG and YouTube content regarding it.

THE GOOD NEWS: Their effort is important because that's the one remaining big envelope that seriously needs to be pushed where vanning is concerned. We need technological innovation in that area.

Anyone who has spent extended time off-grid in a van knows that we simply cannot go without getting clean. Even if we want to accept the discomfort of not bathing, it's untenable in the tiny space of a van - we will end up with skin rashes, filthy bedding, uncontrolled chiggers and red bugs, spouses that never emerge from their understandably foul moods, etc. etc. Being perpetually dirty and itchy defeats the whole experience, which is supposed to be enjoyable.

THE BAD NEWS: thetriointransit built themselves a stunning van, but unfortunately they fall into that class of for-profit influencer who are chiefly concerned with ad revenue rather than sharing useful technical information that the vanning community can build upon. So their content is spun up, drawn out, flirty and smiley rather than cutting to the chase. For that reason, I'm not linking it here. You may seek it out at will.

Bottom line so far is that I am not convinced that their shower system as designed is worth the bother. They concentrated on proving that the recirculated water is not a health concern, but explained nothing about how to deal with an escalating surfactant load. Maybe there's more info about that limitation among all the eyelash-batting, but I didn't have the patience to do a deep dive based on what I saw from a 15-minute content overview.

FWIW. Hopefully someone else will come along and try to top their effort with additional innovation.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #27
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Regarding recycling of water, maybe check out what ARV did with their B-Box. In this video at 18:55, he starts discussing their approach to recycling water in that unit:

Clearly, ARV is a for-profit outfit, but you won't see anyone in their videos being cute or batting their eyelashes in search of more viewers and greater influence.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
This couples YouTube video about recirculating showers seems well balanced.
https://youtu.be/-eTBfi9uo4M

Problem with these showers is the maintenance required to keep them safe and healthy. Personally I don’t think they are worth the bother for my travel needs.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Regarding recycling of water, maybe check out what ARV did with their B-Box. ....
ARV built in the option for 2-use water - the shower effluent is minimally cleaned and used to flush the toilet. That is of no help to those of us who go so deeply off-grid that we are not using the black system at all.

The eyelash-batters designed a continuous-loop shower. The shower water is processed and used to shower again. And again. And again. TMK, nobody else has even made an attempt to design something like that.

There is no trick to sterilizing, chemically-balancing, and removing gross particulates. The issue is the surfactant. If I'm showering with recycled water, how do I rinse the soap off myself? Every time I shower, the water will accumulate a larger load of soap.

I suppose there could be a separate virgin loop purely for the final rinse, which would use minimal water, but I'm not feeling the whole system yet.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #30
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Reminds me of when mom used to make us reuse bath water. Cleanest kid went first, the one who played in the mud last. Was disgusting then, sounds the same now.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:21 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Reminds me of when mom used to make us reuse bath water. Cleanest kid went first, the one who played in the mud last. Was disgusting then, sounds the same now.
Richard, your mom sounds like mine, born one month into The Great Depression. Different times but something to be learned from history and how to be frugal. We take a lot for granted in our “throw away” society today. We turned out okay I guess!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:59 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Today in “I never would have guessed that”, a report from AAA concluding that, if your newer vehicle has laminated glass windows and you need to escape following a crash, your chances of getting out through a closed window are basically zilch, so don’t waste your time trying that method.

I wonder what kind of glass is installed in Interstates (Sprinters) these days? Tempered or laminated?

This is the kind of scenario that has a very low probability of occurring for any given person, but it’s useful information anyway.

Image below, and the source PDF above it:

https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/f...cape-Tools.pdf

Old 03-27-2022, 07:02 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Did y'all read that news story about the guy who spent $944.85 to fill his bus conversion with fuel? As of a week ago, his viral video clip had been viewed more than 16 million times.

For the first time, I've begun to keep mental tabs on fuel costs by noting that our Interstate is currently burning diesel at the painful rate of $15 per hour (for mostly highway-speed travel). Our historical longest single-day trip would cost us $226 in fuel if we were to do it today.

Assuming we were driving through Texas, that is. If we were driving through California, it would be $290 for that same day's fuel.
Old 03-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #34
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Did y'all read that news story about the guy who spent $944.85 to fill his bus conversion with fuel? As of a week ago, his viral video clip had been viewed more than 16 million times.

For the first time, I've begun to keep mental tabs on fuel costs by noting that our Interstate is currently burning diesel at the painful rate of $15 per hour (for mostly highway-speed travel). Our historical longest single-day trip would cost us $226 in fuel if we were to do it today.

Assuming we were driving through Texas, that is. If we were driving through California, it would be $290 for that same day's fuel.
I'm planning a round-trip to Portland OR from eastern Iowa in mid-April. I'm expecting about $1500 in fuel. I drove to Las Vegas, the LA basin, and back last September and that was about $900 round trip.

You certainly don't own a B-van to save money on travel.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote