Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The ultimate Interstate off-topic thread

I've mentioned before that I wish we had a subforum hierarchy with which we could organize our threads into the obvious topical categories such as electrical, mechanical, logistical, warranty issues, etc. etc. Sprinter and B Van Forum arguably ought to constitute a forum unto itself, organized in some fashion analogous to Class B Forum or Sprinter Forum, but it's not, so here we are.

Please use this thread to post content which obviously doesn't fit under any of the existing threads, which is not really worthy of a separate thread just for it, BUT, which still might be of interest to others.

Some examples would be:

-- Noteworthy things you have encountered while using your Interstate
-- Things you might like to do with your Interstate that don't require thread development (i.e., no associated question or problem to solve)
-- Random stuff that somehow relates to Interstate ownership
-- Things other people or groups are doing
-- Whatever else

To kick off the thread, I offer this "what the heck" example which is so bizarre and so funny that some people might think it deserves a read (but it certainly does not deserve its own thread).

I cannot remember who, but someone on this forum mentioned possibly going to Burning Man in their Interstate. That event doesn't sound like my personal cup of tea, and the more stories I read about it, the more my conclusion is reinforced.

BURNING MAN BANS $100K CAMPERS AFTER EXPLODING TOILETS
Old 02-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Refrigerator control improvement

Not worth a separate thread.

I installed the Merlin II, smart speed controller on my AI refrigerator. As delivered, the compressor runs only at the slowest speed. This is great 90% of the time, but when a large thermal load is placed in the box, it takes quite a while to get the box cooled down. The Merlin determines that the compressor is running more than a minimum time and increases compressor speed in stages to get the box cooled down, using 6 compressor speeds as necessary.

The Merlin is a little PC board that is supposed to mount directly on the back of the Secop controller, using female slip-on tabs. The pin spacing was not quite right for my particular controller, so I added short wire jumpers and mounted the Merlin in the big open space beside the Secop controller.

I found that the box initially down very quickly and it cooled it down very nicely again when I put a 6-pack of warm beverage in the box.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I've mentioned before that I wish we had a subforum hierarchy with which we could organize our threads into the obvious topical categories such as electrical, mechanical, logistical, warranty issues, etc. etc. Sprinter and B Van Forum arguably ought to constitute a forum unto itself, organized in some fashion analogous to Class B Forum or Sprinter Forum, but it's not, so here we are.

Please use this thread to post content which obviously doesn't fit under any of the existing threads, which is not really worthy of a separate thread just for it, BUT, which still might be of interest to others.

Some examples would be:

-- Noteworthy things you have encountered while using your Interstate

-- Things you might like to do with your Interstate that don't require thread development (i.e., no associated question or problem to solve)

-- Random stuff that somehow relates to Interstate ownership

-- Things other people or groups are doing

-- Whatever else

To kick off the thread, I offer this "what the heck" example which is so bizarre and so funny that some people might think it deserves a read (but it certainly does not deserve its own thread).

I cannot remember who, but someone on this forum mentioned possibly going to Burning Man in their Interstate. That event doesn't sound like my personal cup of tea, and the more stories I read about it, the more my conclusion is reinforced.

BURNING MAN BANS $100K CAMPERS AFTER EXPLODING TOILETS

Lol! I have been asking about taking my AI into Burning Man so I appreciate the article. I sometimes feel like I should post a sign on the side of my 2018 AI that explains: I’m not rich, I’m just crazy.
Thanks for posting. It does seem that the more money people have the dumber they become. I should know as I spent decades in TV . Ha!
Old 03-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The Pinnacle Finetza - not my cup of tea (appears to be too much hat and not enough cattle), but definitely thinking outside the box where camper vans are concerned.

https://www.motor1.com/news/308182/p...xury-rv-india/
Old 03-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
That has got to be the ugliest RV I've ever seen. I literally had to look away as it hurt my eyes to even look at it! Uggh!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow, kind of looks like the Beluga whale.

Those caddywompus windows too, oh my. Click image for larger version

Name:	dle_bathurst_eye-1-640x321.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	335064

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Wow, kind of looks like the Beluga whale.

Those caddywompus windows too, oh my. Attachment 335064
The Beluga is beautiful compared to that RV! LOL!
Old 04-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We all like to get close to those amazing views, but don't try this with your Sprinter:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/photos-...200-foot-cliff
Old 04-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Some of these custom disruptive paint jobs are epic fails, but I like this one. It has the right balance of light, medium, and dark tones, and a cohesive energy.

If I ever got to the point where I had the amount of disposable income that I would deem sufficient to indulge in painting our Interstate in a similar manner, I might consider it. I don't see any sudden riches rolling into our lives, however.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The Pinnacle Finetza - not my cup of tea (appears to be too much hat and not enough cattle), but definitely thinking outside the box where camper vans are concerned.

The Roadtrek SS Ideal used a rear-slideout years ago, so the Pinnacle's rear slide is hardly "outside the box."

I do wonder why the idea hasn't caught on for other B-vans, though. It seems like a practical way to expand living space without having to cut out a great gaping hole in the side of the van.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #11
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs down

Quote:

Very nice interior... but that exterior is not my cup of tea either...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinnacle-finetza-rv.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	338486   Click image for larger version

Name:	pinnacle-finetza-rv1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	338487  

Name:	pinnacle-finetza-rv-int1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	338488   Click image for larger version

Name:	pinnacle-finetza-rv-int2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	338489  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The Roadtrek SS Ideal used a rear-slideout years ago, so the Pinnacle's rear slide is hardly "outside the box."

I do wonder why the idea hasn't caught on for other B-vans, though. It seems like a practical way to expand living space without having to cut out a great gaping hole in the side of the van.

Was not aware that was even available... but these were available back in 2009ish... Great solution to keeping a small footprint while allowing more space when parked. Does not look like they continued to make them.

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
Old 04-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
If anyone can explain this shtuff to me, please do chime in. It has something deep and mysterious to do with human nature - I just do not understand what.

The *ENTIRE PARKING LOT LITERALLY EMPTY*, and this newly-arrived park-goer felt that he MUST park right on top of my open slider, open because it’s quite hot today and I’m lounging right here, in my spot, waiting for rush hour to clear before I get back on the road.

Really??! He could not have left even ONE space between us? In an empty lot?

Name:	IMG_3204.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	339100
Old 04-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Oh my goodness what the heck. :-)

Clearly it is related to the phenomenon of I must sit directly next to you in an empty movie theater.

Good thing you weren't preparing to throw out the pan of dishwater.

Hittenstiehl
Old 04-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We are usually traveling from Wyoming to Florida in October when many campgrounds, especially COE or NFS, are practically empty on weekdays. Can't tell you how many times we've chosen a site in a nice empty loop, set up camp and then watched half a dozen late arrivals make a bee line for our loop, forsaking all others...
Dismissive cat
Old 04-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The ultimate Interstate off-topic thread

People seem to like to huddle together for company and protection. Maybe a primal fear of isolation thing? Or maybe people like to hang around Airstream owners?

I carry a bunch or orange traffic cones I can use to ‘mark my territory’ when needed to keep folks a bit more clear.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:26 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
People seem to like to huddle together for company and protection. Maybe a primal fear of isolation thing? Or maybe people like to hang around Airstream owners?

I carry a bunch or orange traffic cones I can use to ‘mark my territory’ when needed to keep folks a bit more clear.

I carry crime scene tape and I always draw a body outline just off the patio That does it
Old 05-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Today in the world of RVers, if you haven't seen this atrocity, break out the popcorn. I'm amazed that thing kept going as long and as well as it did.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
So I'm in Austin again on business, and I stopped in to check on the condition of our Interstate as it waits in the repair shop for its new engine. Specifically I wanted to check on the status of the lithium battery as it sits idle.

A few doors down from the repair facility is an official state of Texas surplus outlet. This one sells off everything that TSA has seized from all Texas airports, plus stuff people forget and leave in airport security areas. They gather that stuff up, which at that point becomes state property, and truck it all over to this one warehouse place.

It was a sight to behold, I tell you. The knives numbered in the thousands. Here (below) is a limited pic of the cheapest knives bin - a buck apiece. They had them all sorted by price. There were $2 knives, $3 knives, and so on.

Plus tools. Every imaginable tool for sale, for cheap. Whatever was not allowed on an aircraft because it could potentially be used as a weapon. MOUNTAINS of multi-tools, ordinary hand tools, you name it. If I didn't already have a good tool cache on board the Interstate, that would be a good place to stock up.

The pickers were there en masse, telling me tales about foreign knives seized and sold for a buck that were actually quite valuable. Even a 14K gold knife was found by one of them (of course, that could be a fish tale).

Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #20
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Some of these custom disruptive paint jobs are epic fails, but I like this one. It has the right balance of light, medium, and dark tones, and a cohesive energy.

If I ever got to the point where I had the amount of disposable income that I would deem sufficient to indulge in painting our Interstate in a similar manner, I might consider it. I don't see any sudden riches rolling into our lives, however.

Reminiscent of WWII Navy ship camoflage:

Closed Thread