Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Oh shuts!... I forgot!!! Yes! Same here! ... hey baby !
WACHUKO - you need to be married longer, then you learn not to forget the important spaces in garage. See above sign I put on wifey shoe closet handle. More points for me!
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #22
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Alex, I saw the photos you shared on the other thread, but I will say it again... the level of organization you have in your garage puts everything else I have seen to shame... wow!

I did forget the Foosball table... always wanted one but never had the space to put it... added to the list

Happy wife, happy life... not judging you there, there is no shame in pleasing the queen, it allow us to live longer... even if we always go first
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #23

Orlando , Florida
What is not showing in my drawings is that I wanted to be able to see one car from the living area... I wanted a framed glass so that the car looked like a framed photo if you were inside the house... to which my wife quickly commented..." It would look great for a few weeks and then the mess you always make will ruin it all"... so that idea got ditched... lol...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Alex, I saw the photos you shared on the other thread, but I will say it again... the level of organization you have in your garage puts everything else I have seen to shame... wow!

I did forget the Foosball table... always wanted one but never had the space to put it... added to the list

Happy wife, happy life... not judging you there, there is no shame in pleasing the queen, it allow us to live longer... even if we always go first
Thank you, it is a passion from years of learned attention to detail (well that's how I define OCD coz it sounds nicer)

It's just a matter of economics for me, the nice "Built for Women" tag is $1.50, way cheaper than a dozen roses. The queen really rules, she just makes us think we do, so easy to stroke the male ego.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
What is not showing in my drawings is that I wanted to be able to see one car from the living area... I wanted a framed glass so that the car looked like a framed photo if you were inside the house... to which my wife quickly commented..." It would look great for a few weeks and then the mess you always make will ruin it all"... so that idea got ditched... lol...
PDLC Smart Film switchable glass, perfect for Ultimate Interstate Garage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	230a38bccf219d3c423db28f16fa8d9c.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	315102  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #26

Orlando , Florida
Something specific for the AI... and maybe to be incorporated at the time of building (but it could be added later)... I mentioned the platform step... but maybe also the ability to have a platform across the top... you install a rail on the wall... and then you have a platform that slides on that... on the other side it is attached to a platform ladder (again, also on wheels) so you can basically move the ladder and platform to any point over the AI. Easy to climb and easy to walk over the AI for fixing, cleaning, installing/replacing anything...

When not in use, the platform folds flat against the wall... or I guess you can leave it setup all the time and just roll it out of the way to the front or back. Oh wait! Your roll it all the way back into a cabinet. Brilliant!

Because this would be a bit of an overkill...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ladder for AI.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	315104  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Not really a garage... but current parking spot. We built the Gazebo (not a carport as far as HoA is concerned) prior to the AI purchase (about two years ago). Goal was just to protect truck (wouldn’t fit in garage) and sons car with extra space for company.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4349.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	315103

We have a three car garage across the concrete but the double stall goes just to wife and 3rd stall has old Jeep.

Our Gazebo is only 20x20 with about a 24x24 roof. It is about 1’ too short to get the AI under it.

It is about $5k to change out the beams (at the side next to AI) to be able to get the AI underneath. Would prob need some additional concrete to make the turn, etc.

About $2500 to extend the roof line another 4’ (2’ each side).

About $3k for another option is a concrete pad on other side of Gazebo. Tree would provide shade and some protection. AI in current spot can be seen from front of house although we live on culdasac. This option just provides shade and hides it from front of house.

Not sure price but could also just have another structure built over the AI where it currently sits.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
What I'm posting is all public information but I'm redacting identifying stuff just for the privacy of these people who'll never have any idea that they're being talked about in detail by strangers on the internet.

Here's an example of what I meant by schizoid. LB_3 will recognize this as a house I've been jonesing for - it's located about 2 miles from our current home. Notice how its north side was infilled with tract houses. This property dates back to 1961 when land was dirt cheap around here, hence its unusual size.

Here's its attention-grabber: it is currently on the appraisal roll for $235,000. Almost an acre in an urban area 3 miles from Johnson Space Center.

Its market value is higher than that, but not obscenely higher. As I mentioned on the Mods thread, I do not care to get my aging butt in a financial crack over our legendary 3% annual real estate tax (actually in this location it would be closer to 2.5%). I want something relatively modest but functional in terms of a property. Maybe something along the lines of this. I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself leaving a business card in this guy's mailbox with a note that says, "If it comes time for you to sell your house, please let us make you an offer."

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Not really a garage... but current parking spot. We built the Gazebo (not a carport as far as HoA is concerned) prior to the AI purchase (about two years ago).
TOBBUN - Nice looking "gazebo". Wish I could have one like that, but HOA would have a fit here. BTW - I just realized what HOA meant in relation to this thread - Hiding Our Airstream (HOA) or Ultimate Interstate Garage (UIG)
Old 06-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Something specific for the AI... and maybe to be incorporated at the time of building (but it could be added later)... I mentioned the platform step... but maybe also the ability to have a platform across the top... you install a rail on the wall... and then you have a platform that slides on that...
I thought you already spec'ed that on your list - called the bridge crane, except you would need 2 of the bridges to set the platform in between, yeah? Obviously, the ceiling has to be higher than what's in this pic. But the one in this pic is motorized. BTW - notice staircase tucked behind back wall, that goes to space above, so if that ceiling is gone, you would have the walking plank on both sides of the motorized bridge
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30d721f114829ba74497a41b14541859.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	315112  
Old 06-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #31

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
What I'm posting is all public information but I'm redacting identifying stuff just for the privacy of these people who'll never have any idea that they're being talked about in detail by strangers on the internet.

Here's an example of what I meant by schizoid. LB_3 will recognize this as a house I've been jonesing for - it's located about 2 miles from our current home. Notice how its north side was infilled with tract houses. This property dates back to 1961 when land was dirt cheap around here, hence its unusual size.

Here's its attention-grabber: it is currently on the appraisal roll for $235,000. Almost an acre in an urban area 3 miles from Johnson Space Center.

Its market value is higher than that, but not obscenely higher. As I mentioned on the Mods thread, I do not care to get my aging butt in a financial crack over our legendary 3% annual real estate tax (actually in this location it would be closer to 2.5%). I want something relatively modest but functional in terms of a property. Maybe something along the lines of this. I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself leaving a business card in this guy's mailbox with a note that says, "If it comes time for you to sell your house, please let us make you an offer."

Interesting... we too have our perfect house/place currently owned by someone else, lol. I would drive out of my way to see it every time I went to our 5 acres...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #32

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
I thought you already spec'ed that on your list - called the bridge crane, except you would need 2 of the bridges to set the platform in between, yeah? Obviously, the ceiling has to be higher than what's in this pic. But the one in this pic is motorized. BTW - notice staircase tucked behind back wall, that goes to space above, so if that ceiling is gone, you would have the walking plank on both sides of the motorized bridge
The one I mentioned on my list is for the lifting of engines... single I-beam exposed with everything else hidden... has to be clean install...

The contraption on the AI side is something along the lines of the attached sketch...

Man... you messed me up with your garage... I now have renewed motivation to clean my sh* up!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2966.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	515.4 KB
ID:	315118   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	315119  

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The ultimate Interstate garage

Yup. Was looking at a nice house well south of where we live now. Three car garage, center bay was 35 feet deep, 18 feet wide inside two stories tall with a 14 foot wide power commercial rollup door with an 18 foot tall opening. Sigh.

DW says, “No money, honey!”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #34

Orlando , Florida
You do not have to compromise on the look outside

https://www.hydraulicdoors.com/16-fo...lf-its-height/

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow very cool doors, bet those are NOT in my budget.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #36

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Wow very cool doors, bet those are NOT in my budget.
Not in mine either... Just ideas to share...

In my case, I want all the garage doors the same height... for the AI with 12' would be enough...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 04:18 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. Was looking at a nice house well south of where we live now. Three car garage, center bay was 35 feet deep, 18 feet wide inside two stories tall with a 14 foot wide power commercial rollup door with an 18 foot tall opening. Sigh.

California? OMG. You do realize that the figure I quoted above for my local want-house has no "1" in front of the other six digits, right?
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
California? OMG. You do realize that the figure I quoted above for my local want-house has no "1" in front of the other six digits, right?
Sigh. I know--but, with a LOT of looking in somewhat remote areas, you can find a bigger piece of property with a fancy house like that on it. It might be a fixer, or in a fire-prone area, but its very possible to mitigate stuff like that. (A rented bulldozer will build a good firebreak in a hurry on the edge of the property, for starters.)

The one I was talking about was a bit south of Temecula, CA, and it was about 20% cheaper than the value of the home we are living in now. And from the photos, it looked quite nice and clean. The sad bit was that there was just one comfy chair on the porch with a view...someone probably lost their spouse.

Opportunity lost when DW changed jobs...to a facility that is way too far to commute to from Temecula area...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #39
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

RMKRUM - I agree with INTERBLOG. That house, even in Temecula, would be 7 figures. Temecula isn't as affordable as it used to be. Kinda like Hemet used to be affordable.

Quote:
The contraption on the AI side is something along the lines of the attached sketch...
Man... you messed me up with your garage... I now have renewed motivation to clean my sh* up!
WACHUKO - Ok, I get it now. Yeah that would be nice. Just surprised there is not a product out there already. Glad to return the motivation. You have been my motivation for all your mods . . . not saying I am as brave as you, yet, but baby steps. Those big fold up doors are not really necessary anymore, given the advances in roll-up door technology, materials, & design. Should be able to get the similar look on tall roll up. But if one really wants the heavy wood siding material, then yeah, the fold-up may be the best solution.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Quote:
The one I mentioned on my list is for the lifting of engines... single I-beam exposed with everything else hidden... has to be clean install...

Can't have you struggling with too much Porsche junk, my friend.
I can possibly help cart off some of that junk. Like that lump clogging the space between your cars, and some of those old signs cluttering the wall,. No telling what all I could help you with. 😃

This was my nomad garage when based in AZ exploring the west.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	315143  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote