Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I retired from 40 years in the manufactured housing industry which evolved from the earliest days of RV production. Most of those forty years were spent with high end MH manufacturers with the last ten years spent as the general manager for two different MH production plants.

There were plenty of suppliers for everyday and common MH parts. When we found the upscale parts we wanted, we oftentimes discovered that the supplier could not supply the volume or provide on time delivery for those products. It was very frustrating and I am sure Airstream faces those same issues.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm not sure where to place this follow-up comment because there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to leak prevention and intervention generally (just topical threads... overflow leaks, window leaks, sliding door leaks, improper a/c installation leaks, mystery leaks). But this was a good thread, memorable, so I'll put it here.

When folks on the trailer forums recommended battery-operated leak detectors, did I get them? Nope. I was a Nope Dope for concluding that I didn't need to buy every last gizmo that someone cited somewhere on a thread.

But here's the simple calculus association with this one. These things are about ten to fifteen bucks apiece. When (not if) you have your first leak, I guarantee you that it's going to cost you much more than ten or fifteen bucks in damage and hassle factor if you aren't alerted to it as soon as it starts.

One of our PEX joints under the sink decided that New Years Eve would be *the* perfect time to spring a slow but steady leak. By the time we found it, much of the stuff stored in the cabinetry was soaked and I was standing in a puddle of water.

This kind of outcome is unnecessary. This morning I ordered two of the Doberman Security detectors (BORG link there... I ordered directly from the manufacturer and got 2 for about $25 inclusive of shipping) - that was one of the brands recommended on the WDYGFYTT thread.

I don't know which brands would be best for the Interstate, but some of them are definitely designed exclusively for home use because they are intended to sit on the floor or under a cabinet, and not get accidentally bumped or slid around due to vehicle motion. That Doberman brand has a pad-like device that you stick to the floor and the unit itself can be stashed in a nearby convenient location.

May you all have a dry and prosperous 2016.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Great advice Interblog - I've got this on my todo list.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Here's another option that covers more area.

Honeywell WaterDefense Water Leak Detection Alarm-RWD41 - The Home Depot

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Oh, I *like* that. An extended sensing area would help with nose vs. tail being slightly elevated depending on camp site, because both areas would be covered. When this happened, we were ever so slightly nose-down, so the flood came forward and soaked the sliding door mat and the dog's bed as well as the goods stored under the counter. If it had instead flowed aft, it would have soaked (gulp) our pillows which are stored in an Ikea tote bag under the couch.

Incidentally, our issue seems to have been a fitting that either worked its way loose with road vibration, or was never properly tightened at the factory. Our previous owners never used the hot water system and I only started using it on the next-to-last trip, so the vehicle may have been born like that. It was the fitting joining the PEX to the stainless flex hose attached to the faucet. My husband tightened it and put it under city water pressure today back at our house, and there was no more leak. One bit of troubleshooting done, X number of other potential weak links in the chain to be discovered in the future.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Someone on another thread said that they like visuals. Here's one of this Honeywell leak detector installed. I forgot to mention on it that I bundled and velcro'd the detector's excess length of communication line to the PEX lines right below it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160117_WATER_DETECTOR.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	255851  
Old 01-19-2016, 07:59 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You will get earlier detection if the sensor cord touching the surface that may get wet.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Had the same issue with our 2006 T1N. I used a small hex wrench to remove the faucet handle and rotated it 90 degrees. Now hot is horizontal and cold is vertical facing down. Push towards back of sink for "on". Not possible to have this issue now.
Jbray333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Apologies in advance for ressurecting this old thread. But this is a very important thread, as the faucet design flaw is still around on every sink/faucet in current 2018 AI. I have posted all the info below in another related thread. Re-posting here because this is the original epic nightmare thread. Everyone potentially affected should have all available options to implement and not have to go through "The Flood"

《re-post》I have only had my AI a month. However, surprised that this faucet design flaw is still around and yet it still has not been re-designed. WTFreak Dometic?

1. I have a big note on kitchen sink to remind myself & family - but still wont prevent accident.
2. I thought of buying water leak detectors - but still wont prevent accident, but will still add them to my gadget "to buy" list.
3. I still want to buy the aerator PROTAGONIST suggested.
4. I thought of replacing faucet. I was looking at the Comet AC539 which is advertised to work on the round AI Dometic sinks. But on top of wasting a perfectly good/new faucet, I have to spend more money. And the Comet is mostly plastic, the existing one is mostly metal w/ some plastic parts.

Name:	61mrPcNz-kL._SX355_.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	308247

5. But I have decided to go the cheap route and modify my existing faucet but still keep my original stub lever intact. I just made a shorter stub lever.
Remove original stub lever, find suitable stainless steel bolt, cut bolt to half-size of original stub lever, and cap-off with plastic rubber end cap for added grip. Fast, Cheap, Works like a champ, even for fat-fingers like mine.

Name:	20180407_182827.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	308248
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #70
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Hard to believe this issue lives on. We sold our AI a couple of years ago. Back to a small trailer since then and just getting set to order a new Leisure Travel Van (Wonder, on the new Ford Transit one-ton chassis with the 3.2L Turbo Deisel). Amazing coach for the money. But, as I wandered through a local dealer's cool class B showroom last week I noticed the evil, destroyer-of-minds, flood machine neatly incorporated in a couple of newer, used AIs. I pointed out the long-standing issue to a salesman and illustrated to him how the floods happen. Even a newer Dometic, with a wider on-off handle, looks like it still activates when the lid is closed with the handle in the hot position. I'm not sure the salesman wanted to hear my message but I showed him anyway. Great fix on your new AI by the way and neatly illustrated. We loved our 2013 AI, had a lot of fun and good memories. The class B competition is pretty fierce these days and the LTV will work better for our retirement travel needs. Enjoy. Jeff
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
OR....
to avoid the dreaded flood, you can do this....

New thread coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0402.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	308259  
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #72
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
OR....

New thread coming soon.
Now, that is nice! If/when my faucet breaks & needs replacing, this would be excellent option to have. Just curious, never worked on Corian, is it easy to bore the faucet hole?
Old 04-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Yes, the hole was easy to drill out with a 1.5" hole saw. Light pressure works best.

Once I get my custom cutting board cover finished and photographed, I'll publish a thread about the w(hole) story.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
That thing would work beautifully for the poster who wanted to wash their hair in their Interstate sink, separately from the wet bath. They'd asked that question a while back. I forget who.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
OR....

New thread coming soon.
Looking forward to the write up... One of the Class B's I was comparing against had the sink like that.. I really liked it better than the fold over thing we have.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Apologies in advance for ressurecting this old thread. But this is a very important thread, as the faucet design flaw is still around on every sink/faucet in current 2018 AI. I have posted all the info below in another related thread. Re-posting here because this is the original epic nightmare thread. Everyone potentially affected should have all available options to implement and not have to go through "The Flood"

《re-post》I have only had my AI a month. However, surprised that this faucet design flaw is still around and yet it still has not been re-designed. WTFreak Dometic?

1. I have a big note on kitchen sink to remind myself & family - but still wont prevent accident.

2. I thought of buying water leak detectors - but still wont prevent accident, but will still add them to my gadget "to buy" list.

3. I still want to buy the aerator PROTAGONIST suggested.

4. I thought of replacing faucet. I was looking at the Comet AC539 which is advertised to work on the round AI Dometic sinks. But on top of wasting a perfectly good/new faucet, I have to spend more money. And the Comet is mostly plastic, the existing one is mostly metal w/ some plastic parts.

Attachment 308247

5. But I have decided to go the cheap route and modify my existing faucet but still keep my original stub lever intact. I just made a shorter stub lever.

Remove original stub lever, find suitable stainless steel bolt, cut bolt to half-size of original stub lever, and cap-off with plastic rubber end cap for added grip. Fast, Cheap, Works like a champ, even for fat-fingers like mine.

Attachment 308248

Great idea, for folks without handy tools or dexterity they can just go to Home Depot and buy these, install with a hex key...

Name:	IMG_4310.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	309491
Each comes in a 2 pk for about a dollar.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
Great idea, for folks without handy tools or dexterity they can just go to Home Depot and buy these, install with a hex key...
Attachment 309491
Thanks so much for this head's up. Great fix for a stupid problem.

I flooded mine twice, but was fortunate that I was boondocking and it didn't go over the top of the sink before it ran out of water in the fresh water tank. All I had to do is dump and refill, but had to drive 38 miles to do so!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
Attachment 309491
Well, this fix didn't work for me. When the lid closes, it still pushes down the valve. The hex nut is about 1/8th" too long, using the same parts. Maybe there's something missing about how it was installed, but I can't get it to work for me.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Well, this fix didn't work for me. When the lid closes, it still pushes down the valve. The hex nut is about 1/8th" too long, using the same parts. Maybe there's something missing about how it was installed, but I can't get it to work for me.

Hmmn, that’s odd, it completely clear of the lid bracket, even has an air gap of 1/8” on mine. Note that I had to trim the white rubber cap at an angle for it to slip on the bolt snuggly.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #80
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
What hex nut? There is no hex nut involved in this fix. I used a long bolt from my old parts bin & trimmed using dremmel until it does not hit cover. AIR99 used a 1/2" set screw - I have no idea if you may have to trim it a smidge. Whichever route you go, lube the bolt or set screw & threads, make sure it bottoms out. Trim the rubber caps so it bottoms out on top of set screw or else it WILL stick out too far.