Old 10-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
The 10K Mile Shakedown (Aka..The Fusion Fury)

Home. What a shakedown. 10,000 miles under the belt and just over two months. With that I give you my my top ten NOOB thoughts, lessons, and critiques. Feel free to laugh at me. Ok, WITH me!

10. NEVER store a sealed bottle of Vodka in the rig when you leave it for four days in a 110 degree heat. Who knew, the vodka bottle will explode through the seal and leave a mess. Yes, it’s been weeks and the odor is finally just leaving.

9. This is not a Range Rover. Even with the 4WD and Air Suspension the AI is a lot to deal with on sharp turns and bumpy roads. I have learned to drive differently, anticipate, and take things a bit more patiently. The drawers flying open the first few days were a tell-tale reminder to me that I need to chill the you know what out

8. The bathroom faucet loves to hook on to me unknowingly and run down the water supply. A quick double check when I leave is mandatory now.

7. I am going to talk Alex into leading an annual weekend boot camp for idiots like me to really understand the systems and maximize the ability this rig has. As well to lead us in daily meditation and yoga to calm our nerves when things go downhill fast.

6. Incline driveways with deep dips are not your friend.

5. Being a single dude I can say that having this rig is like having the cutest dog ever. Girls love to come up and chat and admire. However, why they ALWAYS decide to do it when I am emptying the holding tank and wearing black latex gloves is beyond me.

4. Fusion is (not even taking into account my initial problems) officially a total POS. It’s nowhere near “best in class” in delivering what is needed for this vehicle. I will be talking to someone this winter about designing and installing a new custom system. Trust me, my Bose portable speaker has better sound and I now mostly use it instead.

3. Low hanging branches are like angry mother-in-law’s. Or nails on a chalkboard.

2. I really want to get rid of the televisions. I mean REALLY. Why there are two I have no idea. Complete over kill. It’s 2018, It’s a van. There has to be a better solution when taking into account more modern media solutions. Honestly, having it equipped with a large (detachable from the wall) tablet would be so much cooler.

1. By all means leave a sticky note on your steering wheel when the awning is out. I fully confess my most embarrassing moment ever was pulling out of a place a week ago after an overnight and turning on the main road with a man running after me screaming “STOP STOP!!!!” Yes, I forgot to retract it. It was a humbling moment and thank god all ended well. I am sure I am not the first. Perhaps the first to publicly admit it, lol.

Now I am off to Colonial in NJ tomorrow with a punch list of items to be fixed under warranty including the black valve issue that has been haunting me for a few weeks. I developed a workaround that involves disconnecting the black valve sensor so as to empty the grey (thank you Alex). But it’s clear there is something more going on. As well neither tank is emptying well and I have to build pressure with the hose (showed to me by someone at a repair shop) when emptying to get anything to dump. More on that later to help anyone who experiences this issue.
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We go, we do, and we learn...and it never stops.

Congratulations on your first journey.

Maggie
Old 10-02-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
Home. What a shakedown. 10,000 miles under the belt and just over two months. With that I give you my my top ten NOOB thoughts, lessons, and critiques. Feel free to laugh at me. Ok, WITH me!

10. NEVER store a sealed bottle of Vodka in the rig when you leave it for four days in a 110 degree heat. Who knew, the vodka bottle will explode through the seal and leave a mess. Yes, it’s been weeks and the odor is finally just leaving.

9. This is not a Range Rover. Even with the 4WD and Air Suspension the AI is a lot to deal with on sharp turns and bumpy roads. I have learned to drive differently, anticipate, and take things a bit more patiently. The drawers flying open the first few days were a tell-tale reminder to me that I need to chill the you know what out

8. The bathroom faucet loves to hook on to me unknowingly and run down the water supply. A quick double check when I leave is mandatory now.

7. I am going to talk Alex into leading an annual weekend boot camp for idiots like me to really understand the systems and maximize the ability this rig has. As well to lead us in daily meditation and yoga to calm our nerves when things go downhill fast.

5. Being a single dude I can say that having this rig is like having the cutest dog ever. Girls love to come up and chat and admire. However, why they ALWAYS decide to do it when I am emptying the holding tank and wearing black latex gloves is beyond me.

4. Fusion is (not even taking into account my initial problems) officially a total POS. It’s nowhere near “best in class” in delivering what is needed for this vehicle. I will be talking to someone this winter about designing and installing a new custom system. Trust me, my Bose portable speaker has better sound and I now mostly use it instead.

3. Low hanging branches are like angry mother-in-law’s. Or nails on a chalkboard.

2. I really want to get rid of the televisions. I mean REALLY. Why there are two I have no idea. Complete over kill. It’s 2018, It’s a van. There has to be a better solution when taking into account more modern media solutions. Honestly, having it equipped with a large (detachable from the wall) tablet would be so much cooler.

1. By all means leave a sticky note on your steering wheel when the awning is out. I fully confess my most embarrassing moment ever was pulling out of a place a week ago after an overnight and turning on the main road with a man running after me screaming “STOP STOP!!!!” Yes, I forgot to retract it. It was a humbling moment and thank god all ended well. I am sure I am not the first. Perhaps the first to publicly admit it, lol.

Now I am off to Colonial in NJ tomorrow with a punch list of items to be fixed under warranty including the black valve issue that has been haunting me for a few weeks. I developed a workaround that involves disconnecting the black valve sensor so as to empty the grey (thank you Alex). But it’s clear there is something more going on. As well neither tank is emptying well and I have to build pressure with the hose (showed to me by someone at a repair shop) when emptying to get anything to dump. More on that later to help anyone who experiences this issue.

Haha. About a week after I took delivery of Bramble, she was parked down by the pond and I thought I would mow around her to mske things look nice. Welllll my John Deere has a roll bar which I totally forgot about as I happily steered under (but not under) the zip dee awning. Aaargh! I had several nice conversations with I cant remember his name now who was very patient and helpful in getting me what I needed to perform my first repair job and first riveting (!). Needless to say I have folded down the roll bar—the equivalent of your sticky note on the steering wheel!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
The 10K Mile Shakedown (Aka..The Fusion Fury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post

And yes, congrats on your adventure!!!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Superb post - thank you.

On the issue of the awning or any other configuration that needs to be double-checked before departure, we use these reminders (below), which are knock-offs available for about two bucks each. EPDM rubber bands stand up far better than consumer-grade, as the photo shows. Loop around steering wheel as a reminder to check stuff before departure. Store on gear shift or somewhere else convenient when not in use.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
EYECHIP - All I can say is WOW! CONGRATS on successful trip (minus the minor issues). A newbie initiation of 10,000 miles in 2 months right off the dealer's lot. You get my vote for the most adventurous & most courageous 1st time rv owner. I know something like this would not even cross my mind, let alone actually doing it. It's great to be young & free to fly whenever/wherever your heart desires. Your experience really highlights how the AI is an excellent tool for spontaneous short/long or extremely long trips that are otherwise very difficult to plan if you had a bigger rv.

Love your RV "10 Commandments". #10 & #1 are funny, I am imagining Buford T. Justice (aka Jackie Gleason) sniffing down the Vodka smell while awning flaps precariously above and a guy running behind yelling Stop! Stop!

And thank you for your kind words. I am new to this myself. I only know what I know from receiving help from a core group of knowledgeable & helpful rv'ers here. In time, you will know them too and the depth of their knowledge & willingness to help. I can not re-pay their knowledge back, so the next best thing is to move that knowledge forward to other new rv'ers who need guidance. I see many members here who only post when they have problems, then they disappear only to re-surface when they need help on their next problem. You do not need to be an experienced rv'er to be helpful. There are many topics where just contributing to the conversation is as valuable as having technical expertise. This post is proof of that. I remembered many here doubting the wisdom of your big trip straight out of the dealer's lot. But you have proven it can be done, even by a total newbie, if you have the right mindset. Even for the very experienced rv'er, your trip is considered a huge trip that many of us/them can learn from.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Develop and USE detailed checklists for both camping set up and breaking camp. It will reduce stress tremendously!.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
#5 - too funny! It painted a moving picture in my mind. I can almost see you LOL
Tomfeury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:33 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
#5 - Because it’s your most timid and vulnerable moments
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:39 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
I use the native app Reminders on iPhone to check off my list when decamp:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	324469
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
I use the native app Reminders on iPhone to check off my list when decamp:
Attachment 324469
I am getting this! Great suggestion, Air.
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote