Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
TELESTEPS Combi 14ES

So, I finally bit the bullet and after much thinking of what I need, I decided on the 14ES. Being a short guy, it was a choice between the 12ES or 14ES. But since the folded footprint is identical, and only 2 extra rungs in extra length, I decided for overall AI use and general household use, the 14ES gave me all I want. I have more than enough height to reach top/center of AI without needing to go to max height ever. But the weight is 24 lbs. for 12ES and 37 lbs. for 14ES. I have the space/room to carry it in AI all the time. And I don't mind the extra 13 lbs. My main reason for getting the Combi is the wide base for stability when cleaning/working on roof of AI and the straight ladder profile allows me to bring really close to the van body vs. my very heavy Werner step ladder that continuously flares from narrow top to really wide bottom.

I am well aware that the extension version is a much more compact unit, much lighter, and easier to use/store. I never plan on washing/cleaning my roof while on trips, so I am contemplating buying the standard extension ladder to keep in AI permanently (I wish it came with the wider base but no such option). My question is 3-fold and only regarding usage when on trips :
1. Do you folks find a need to carry such a combi ladder with the wider base? Or
2. Do you just carry the standard straight Telesteps extension ladders?
3. How stable is the standard Telesteps extension ladder?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180822_155959-1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	320595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-08-22-17-31-19-1.png
Views:	185
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	320596  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
That is cool. And I really like that you do not have to place it against the AI like the one I have... nice. Wish I had seen that one.

I still want to get one on the rear door and not have to carry anything inside...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I have had my AI over 5 years and have never had a need for a ladder while on the road. Your results may vary.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
I have the straight version at home, but haven’t had need (knocking on wood!) for it on the road. One word of caution - if you ever use it NOT fully extended, make sure when descending that you anticipate the extra height from the last assessable step - it can be much higher than you thought with the remaining stack. A broken ankle after making that mistake has me thinking every time I use it now!
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
WACHUKO - how to use regular Telesteps extension ladder, placing against AI without scratching it? Put padding on the telescoping poles? But how to do it permanently so won't accidentally slip off and scratch paint?

SEBTOWN - have not had a "true" need for one either (6 mos.). I don't count "not being able to reach the very tops of windows, windshield, & rear windows to clean because I am short" a true need. Though I carry a small step ladder prior to getting this.

TXNTRAVLR - Thanks for warning. I did read that the safest setting for these are fully extended, so always plan on using that way. That situation has happened to me, not on a telescoping ladder but a stupid situation I would rather not elaborate. Went all the way down, hit tailbone and back of head on solid tile floor. Very lucky to not get hurt, other than my ego.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
I have the straight version at home, but haven’t had need (knocking on wood!) for it on the road. One word of caution - if you ever use it NOT fully extended, make sure when descending that you anticipate the extra height from the last assessable step - it can be much higher than you thought with the remaining stack. A broken ankle after making that mistake has me thinking every time I use it now!
The Telesteps extend from the bottom, if you attempt to extend from the top, as you describe, the ladder would collapse as the closure pins would be depressed. The unused stack is at the top. Do you use a different type of ladder or maybe a really old version that they have since changed?
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We’ve had the Telesteps 1400E (the leaning kind) for most of our 4 years of ownership and I would not trade it. Nor do I ever travel without it.

To prevent scratching, I use two pieces of closed cell pipe insulation that I slip over the rungs that touch the side of the van. And because our T1N has a roof rack, I bungee cord the top of the ladder to the roof rack. Very secure.

I’ve said this before on other threads - any permanently mounted ladder only gets you access to the part of the roof where the ladder is mounted. I would not have that.

I use our Telesteps frequently. It’s how I get our inflatable kayak on and off the roof. Clean solar panels. Do roof work. Take elevated pics. Etc.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Phone edit: risers, not rungs
Old 08-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
The Telesteps extend from the bottom, if you attempt to extend from the top, as you describe, the ladder would collapse as the closure pins would be depressed. The unused stack is at the top. Do you use a different type of ladder or maybe a really old version that they have since changed?

Older or slightly different version I assume - the release mechanism for my steps is a horizontal thumb slide on each riser. Regardless of technicalities, beware.
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I use our Telesteps frequently. It’s how I get our inflatable kayak on and off the roof. Clean solar panels. Do roof work. Take elevated pics. Etc.
INTERBLOG - I do remember seeing your Telesteps inside the AI in a thread awhile back. Glad to know it is a frequent used one. I am leaning towards keeping one in the AI. It is oNE of those items like power cord adapters that is handy to have and worth saving room for inside. But if I do, I may buy the regular extension kind like yours for AI and leave the bulkier Combi one for home. Though I still have room for either. Will see if it stays that way & not have to purchase another.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
When I posted this thread, I have not even cut the plastic cling wrap from the Telesteps. I have since done so and used it to test things out. So, some differences in how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
One word of caution - if you ever use it NOT fully extended,
TXNTRAVLR - This model 14ES does not allow usage unless it is fully extended. I have discovered an easy hack to use it partially extended when in step ladder mode. I have tested it and I can safely use it so that the extended rungs do not automatically slide down to retract. However I would never endorse such usage (for reasons you stated) and have reconsidered even posting the pic. showing the hack. Anyone who wishes to do so can figure it out to their own peril. So I suspect the model/type and age determines the latching mechanisms involved. See copy of instructions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
The Telesteps extend from the bottom, if you attempt to extend from the top, as you describe, the ladder would collapse as the closure pins would be depressed. The unused stack is at the top.
RANDYH - This model 14ES is pulled or extends from the top. The unused stack remains at bottom. See copy of instructions below. Videos also show this. But your warning still applies, just from a different direction from where the collapsing happens. Same result.

Name:	20180823_164632.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	320667

Name:	20180823_164826.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	320668

On to a mini-review.

1. Works as advertised. Quality is excellent.
Total height - 10 ft.
Highest recommended step - 7th rung, 7 ft.
Collapsed measurements are:
Height - 34"
Width at thickest bottom ladder poles - 18"
Width at narrowest top ladder poles - 17""
Width at base, widest point - 31"
Depth, thickness w/ front&rear bases together - 7-1/4"

Name:	20180823_174650.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	320679

2. In step ladder mode, at the highest allowable step, there is a slight wiggle/movement. This has been noted on many reviews. But it was also noted the slight movement was easy to get used to and was never deemed unsafe. The wide base is planted solid & does not wiggle/moved even a hair. I concur. When in extension ladder mode, the top is leaning on a wall or the AI. When in step ladder mode, the top is 10 ft. with all supports on the wide base. While my normal 12 ft. Werner step ladder is free of this slight movement, the Telesteps design of telescoping poles with decreasing diameters can not completely eliminate any movement. After experiencing it, on subsequent ascents I pretty much did not notice as much.

Name:	20180823_162948.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	320669

3. The 2 extra rungs beyond the top tip of the triangle is really a neat feature. I have never had a step ladder like this. Having used it as hand holds at different locations is very handy, comfortable, and adds to overall safety. For my height, the added area comes up from waist-to-shoulder level and that makes it very convenient.

Name:	20180823_162850.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	320670

Given how nice this ladder works, in spite of the extra 13 lbs. and slightly more room to keep permanently inside AI, I have decided to take this with me all the time until such time when I really don't have space for it
Old 08-24-2018, 06:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post

RANDYH - This model 14ES is pulled or extends from the top. The unused stack remains at bottom.
My apologies, I didn't mean to confuse the issue, I meant the extension version, not the combi-step version. Thanks for the great write up, if the folding ladder, for house use, we have ever dies it will probably be replaced with a combi.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Alex,

How does it work to reach the roof on the AI? Tall enough to clean and do minor stuff up there??

It sure looks better and more stable... again, I like the fact that you do not have to place it against the AI... like you, I do not have a rack that I can rest this against. In my case I have to use high density foam pads so that the ladder rest against those. What InterBlog has.

I am really thinking of keeping the collapsible one I have for access to the attic (it what I have been using it mostly for anyway)... and getting that one to keep in the AI...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have one of the standard ladders. Until recently I carried it in the bed of the TV. I got one of the carry bags at Salem and now I carry it in the bumper drawer. I use it to do anything on the roof. I have had it for over two years and used it for the first time this last trip to fix a sat dish cable on the roof. Not really a necessary repair, but it was nice to be able to do it.

I find it pretty stable, as long as the ground it is standing on is stable. It will try to move side to side as I am getting on or off of it since the side of the trailer doesn't make a lot of contact with the side rails of the ladder. I bought a pool noodle, cut it into small pieces and slit it. I use two pieces on the vertical ladder rails (which helps grip the side of the trailer as well as cushion it) and the two remaining pieces on the awing poles to make them more visible and to soften the blow when we don't see it.

The biggest problem I have with it is when leaned up against the trailer, the last two rungs I would use to step up and onto the roof are very close to the side of the trailer so I have to put my foot sideways on the rung to get enough support. I really liked the accessory they have that can be used to stand the ladder off the side of the trailer but the feet are hard and it seems they would likely dent the trailer. I'm going to try to make a horizontal support that will be cushioned and stand the ladder off of the trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Alex,

How does it work to reach the roof on the AI? Tall enough to clean and do minor stuff up there??

It sure looks better and more stable... again, I like the fact that you do not have to place it against the AI... like you, I do not have a rack that I can rest this against. In my case I have to use high density foam pads so that the ladder rest against those. What InterBlog has.

I am really thinking of keeping the collapsible one I have for access to the attic (it what I have been using it mostly for anyway)... and getting that one to keep in the AI...
WACHUKO - my Werner is labeled as "16 ft. reach comparable to 12 ft.stepladder" . Who makes these specs and at what person's height Anyway, exact pic below. It has the extra hand holds at the top platform/tray. Nice to have too. But notice how the super wide base then tapers to almost half width up top. So I can have the bottom literally touching the AI and by time I am at roof level, I am 2 ft. away from AI. With 14ES, the wide base can slide under AI and top is same distance to AI as the bottom (taking into account clearing AI body curvature). Benefit of having the ladder portion straight. And again, as a telescoping design, this straight design is the only choice anyway.

To your question - Yep, tall enough to do MAJOR stuff. Max recommended foot step is 7th rung/ 7 ft. That puts my eye level at 12 ft. and reach obviously more. Even at non-recommended 8th rung, still very stable. That's a level you can almost step off ladder and step across to roof (again, highly not recommended, but just saying )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	werner-platform-hybrid-ladders-pdia10-64_1000.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	320745  
Old 08-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I'm going to try to make a horizontal support that will be cushioned and stand the ladder off of the trailer.

Al
AI - Same here. I am trying to figure out how to make same horizontal support, but not just at top but also bottom base for more stability. If I can figure it out and make it stable & removable, then I would buy the standard extension model so I can save room & weight that combi uses up. Pls. post any ideas you come up with. I will do same. Best of luck
Old 08-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Given how nice this ladder works, in spite of the extra 13 lbs. and slightly more room to keep permanently inside AI, I have decided to take this with me all the time until such time when I really don't have space for it

Neat looking, at first I did not know you got the a-frame model. Would you recommend this for stairs (assuming the front & back legs are independently adjustable)?

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Neat looking, at first I did not know you got the a-frame model. Would you recommend this for stairs (assuming the front & back legs are independently adjustable)?

ROWIEBOWIE - yes, I would recommend for stairs. I have tried the feature. That is a highly advertised feature. If you search for Telesteps 14ES video , couple good vids showing how the rear adjusts for stairs use. FYI - though the rear rungs are pretty stout, they do not recommend using rear as steps. They recommend only using front rungs (which are heftier).
Old 08-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
ROWIEBOWIE - yes, I would recommend for stairs. I have tried the feature. That is a highly advertised feature. If you search for Telesteps 14ES video , couple good vids showing how the rear adjusts for stairs use. FYI - though the rear rungs are pretty stout, they do not recommend using rear as steps. They recommend only using front rungs (which are heftier).

Thanks. It's not for my house (one-story). My daughter got their two-story house while she was still living at home with us and single 15 years ago. At that time, I painted the stairway walls on a less-than-OSHA-approved setup. Luckily I did not hurt myself. It's my son-in-law's turn to paint their house now, and I will tell him about the ladder before he tries the same bone-headed thing I did.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Telesteps 1400E yesterday, cleaning the solar panels.

Name:	IMG_9317.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	321091