Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #21
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Telesteps 1400E yesterday, cleaning the solar panels.

Attachment 321091
INTERBLOG - That nice height for cleaning.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We have the TeleSteps 12E, and it has worked well. I used it to install our Maxim skylights. On the road, we use it to clean the roof and the awnings. We do not lean it against the trailer.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
We have the TeleSteps 12E, and it has worked well. I used it to install our Maxim skylights. On the road, we use it to clean the roof and the awnings. We do not lean it against the trailer.

73/gus
GUS - Is 12E a stepladder or regular extension? How to use on trailer without leaning on it? Reason I ask is even though my 14ES combi works excellent, it takes up lots more room in AI & 50% heavier. The taller 14E regular extension (which is what I may get coz I am short and need taller ladder) definitely have advantage in taking less space & weight.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
GUS - Is 12E a stepladder or regular extension?
You can use the TELESTEPS 12ES COMBI Ladder as either a stepladder or regular extension.

Quote:
How to use on trailer without leaning on it?
I set it up as a step ladder along side the trailer, and I climb up facing the front or rear of the trailer. I then turn and lean myself on the trailer - usually with a big towel to prevent scratches. Am right handed, so I orient myself appropriately for the task.

Quote:
Reason I ask is even though my 14ES combi works excellent, it takes up lots more room in AI & 50% heavier. The taller 14E regular extension (which is what I may get coz I am short and need taller ladder) definitely have advantage in taking less space & weight.
I am 6'2" tall, so I may have some height advantage. Standing on the second step from the top, I have reach into the middle of the trailer by lying on the top. I was able to use it to get on and off the trailer for the Maxim skylight installation.

Agree on the size and big weight difference: 12ES = 24 lbs. vs 14ES = 37 lbs. The 12ES was a good compromise. Our Telesteps rides in the AS rear compartment under the bed.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Agree on the size and big weight difference: 12ES = 24 lbs. vs 14ES = 37 lbs. The 12ES was a good compromise. Our Telesteps rides in the AS rear compartment under the bed.

73/gus
GUS - Thanks. I misunderstood when you originally said 12E. I thought that was the 12ft. extension only. I now realize you have same combi/step/extension as mine, just shorter & lighter. Even though it so pricey, I do love this thing, so I guess that means it was worth it. I don't even take out my 2 stepladders & 1 extension ladder anymore.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
I have to give this product a bump after learning about it on this forum and then using it over the past week to install our solar system while on the road. Hasn't been enough downtime at home to do the solar install so the gear and this ladder came with us. At no point did I feel the 16' ladder was too heavy, unwieldy or unstable. Easy for one person to extend, collapse and move while extended. I make two or three product recommendations each year and this is one of them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WK...ohCONWjsmgZEHr
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Thule has improved on the Telesteps by adding what they term a magnetic fixation kit (HT Sinorm over on Sprinter Forum). An actual *van ladder*, designed for a van, with a storage case and rung keeper (I use a bungee for that).

I'm wondering if they are going to sell their magnetic bit separately. I could probably DIY one, but I might spring for it if they offered it for sale.

Magnetic stabilizers have a limitation on older vans that have side-mounted awnings (the ladder can't make contact with the sheet steel along the length of the aluminum awning body), but it's a darned good idea for the rest of the van circumference.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/van-a...steps-_-301404

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
For instance, those of us with conventional Telesteps could also use something like this device shown in the vid below, from the maritime industry.

However, what I like about the Thule device is that it allows the ladder riser to clear the gutter by holding the ladder a bit proud of the body. It eliminates the need to fuss with closed-cell foam pads to keep from scratching the side of the van, at the gutter or other points of contact.

Ladder stability has been a concern of mine, but not at the top of my priority list. I've been using a bungee cord to secure the Telesteps to the roof rack when I'm using it. Of course, the roof rack doesn't extend all the way around the roof, but strapping the ladder to the rack achieves much of the safety goal.

However what IS higher on my list is some kind of supplemental ladder / stability mechanism for reaching the forehead of the van, for cleaning, waxing, and touch-up purposes. That is a nut that I have not yet been able to crack to my satisfaction. The right magnetic products might help advance that cause.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:59 AM   #29
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I have one of the standard ladders. Until recently I carried it in the bed of the TV. I got one of the carry bags at Salem and now I carry it in the bumper drawer. I use it to do anything on the roof. I have had it for over two years and used it for the first time this last trip to fix a sat dish cable on the roof. Not really a necessary repair, but it was nice to be able to do it.

I find it pretty stable, as long as the ground it is standing on is stable. It will try to move side to side as I am getting on or off of it since the side of the trailer doesn't make a lot of contact with the side rails of the ladder. I bought a pool noodle, cut it into small pieces and slit it. I use two pieces on the vertical ladder rails (which helps grip the side of the trailer as well as cushion it) and the two remaining pieces on the awing poles to make them more visible and to soften the blow when we don't see it.

The biggest problem I have with it is when leaned up against the trailer, the last two rungs I would use to step up and onto the roof are very close to the side of the trailer so I have to put my foot sideways on the rung to get enough support. I really liked the accessory they have that can be used to stand the ladder off the side of the trailer but the feet are hard and it seems they would likely dent the trailer. I'm going to try to make a horizontal support that will be cushioned and stand the ladder off of the trailer.

Al
Us too...we've had the ladder since getting 'Cloudsplitter'.
Three weeks ago we used it for the first time while on the road, (many times on the pad), had to repair the bathroom vent.
I got these for head protection, thanks for the ladder tip. I'll give them a try. I've been using a folded microfiber fender cover from Griot's Garage.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2657.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	344556  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
This thread from the Sprinter-Source forum is a good reminder of danger in getting up on a ladder to access your van roof.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=76812
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
... ... Ladder stability has been a concern of mine, but not at the top of my priority list. I've been using a bungee cord to secure the Telesteps to the roof rack when I'm using it. Of course, the roof rack doesn't extend all the way around the roof, but strapping the ladder to the rack achieves much of the safety goal.

However what IS higher on my list is some kind of supplemental ladder / stability mechanism for reaching the forehead of the van, for cleaning, waxing, and touch-up purposes. That is a nut that I have not yet been able to crack to my satisfaction. The right magnetic products might help advance that cause....
The vacuum mounts form SeaSucker could also work to secure ladder...

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/vacuum-mounts
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:36 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The vacuum mounts form SeaSucker could also work to secure ladder...

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/vacuum-mounts
For cargo, maybe, but those I would NOT trust my life to. If I've got an industrial strength magnet on there (800 kg pull force is what some of them advertise), then I know that it's not going anywhere. Failure of a sucker would be catastrophic.

I've been hopping on the roof of our Sprinter routinely for almost 5 years now. It can be done safely, but only within limits. I'd like to expand those limits if I can.

It is true, though, that a fall from a Sprinter roof (a full 10' tall at my solar panels) is expected to result in death much of the time. IIRC, I put this point of perspective on other ladder-related threads, but not this one. To borrow and repurpose a toxicological construct, the "LH-50" for human beings is approximately 11 feet. That's the height at which 50% of falls will result in death ("lethal height"). Analogous to lethal dose (LD):